PDA

View Full Version : Tackling A Core Belief

raggamuffin
02-16-2015, 04:13 AM
Hi all,

So i'm trying to dig and help crack these core beliefs from my past which are affecting me to this day. I feel i've come a long way since I originally joined here. I was terrified of anxiety and the symptoms and experienced 24/7 symptoms for 5 years. Nowadays things are calmer and i'm starting to delve introspectively to tackle the root cause of my issues and get where I want to be in life.

Here's today's core belief that i've been digging and trying to uncover. i'd appreciate people's perspective on these worries. I need to really tackle this as it's quite a fundamental warped belief i've had since childhood which has affected me in a great many areas of life:

Chlidhood - always being told I could do better at school from my parents and my teachers.

Every report/parents evening would say that I wasn't achieving my full potential. I used to fear these parents evenings as I knew the reports would say I was underachieving.

My half brother and half sister have achieved a lot. My h/brother followed in my dad's footsteps and became an engineer and has travelled all over the world. My h/sister has worked her way up in the banking world and moved abroad to follow a very highly paid and successful career. I have felt later in life that I am a failure. I have had many opportunities to excel and yet I never exert myself fully. I often start tasks with great enthusiasm but either hurridly finish a task with shoddy results or run out of steam and leave the task half completed.

I didn't study what I wanted to study because my parents didn't think art was a suitable or stable career. I flunked 2 colleges and university. I chased relationships during these 5 years and experienced heightened anxiety and rollercoaster of emotions during said years. When I was happy in my relationships I obsessed over them and would skip classes to be with them. When things were bad I felt so low that I couldn't concentrate or face being in classes.

I began to become lost in computer games as I felt I could achieve more and was lost in a world of fantasy. When I came across difficulties in such games I would often quit outright due to frustration. I have a habit of restarting games when they get too difficult. It's almost an addiction. I find it easier to replay and achieve what I have done many times before as a form of safety behaviour.

I've always been wreckless with money. My brother would save hard and buy expensive things once in a while. Case and point he bought his first house as soon as he left home without ever having rented. When i got a job my spending became even more unstable and I ended up in debt multiple times. I never valued money and always spent outside my means. I would spend a lot on friends. it made me feel gratified by seeing them happy. I attracted a lot of users over the years.

In recent years I've helped many friends with emotional issues ranging from breakups, sexual issues, abuse and bullying. I feel I can understand and help people well. it feels easier to help other's than help myself. Now that I wish to help myself I feel the task is somewhat daunting. Whilst I've begun to understand myself and work on self help I fear that perhaps this'll be yet another task in which I fail to complete it or finish it to a good degree.

Core beliefs - I am an underachiever, I fail to see things through to completion, I have so much potential and I'm not doing anything with it.

My parents often reinforce this belief. They ask when I'll go back to work and stop claiming ESA benefits for my anxiety and depression. There was guilt in claiming these benefits originally due to the stigma attached to seeking government aid for mental health conditions. They often say that I could achieve so much and yet I'm not achieving anything.

I worked the same job for 9.5 years. I never got promoted and my enthusiasm waxed and waned. When I focused and dedicated my effort I was the highest achiever of set tasks in the whole office. I lived in fear of losing the job due to a takeover by a company. I survived the first wave of redundancy and then voluntarily opted for redundancy during the second wave. I quit my job in June 2014. I was hoping to follow my art and photography, but once again - enthusiasm has waned. When I do try hard with my creative skills I achieve a lot. But I'm scared of taking it further, of truly achieving what I want to achieve in life. I know deep down I could go far. But I'm not pushing for it, in fact I feel like the child's inner belief of not achieving is holding me back.

It's a feeling of being misunderstood. I want to help myself and my parents understand that I can better myself and get to where I want to be. But I need to challenge these core beliefs.

Ed

gypsylee
02-16-2015, 04:34 AM
Hi all,

So i'm trying to dig and help crack these core beliefs from my past which are affecting me to this day. I feel i've come a long way since I originally joined here. I was terrified of anxiety and the symptoms and experienced 24/7 symptoms for 5 years. Nowadays things are calmer and i'm starting to delve introspectively to tackle the root cause of my issues and get where I want to be in life.

Here's today's core belief that i've been digging and trying to uncover. i'd appreciate people's perspective on these worries. I need to really tackle this as it's quite a fundamental warped belief i've had since childhood which has affected me in a great many areas of life:

Chlidhood - always being told I could do better at school from my parents and my teachers.

Every report/parents evening would say that I wasn't achieving my full potential. I used to fear these parents evenings as I knew the reports would say I was underachieving.

My half brother and half sister have achieved a lot. My h/brother followed in my dad's footsteps and became an engineer and has travelled all over the world. My h/sister has worked her way up in the banking world and moved abroad to follow a very highly paid and successful career. I have felt later in life that I am a failure. I have had many opportunities to excel and yet I never exert myself fully. I often start tasks with great enthusiasm but either hurridly finish a task with shoddy results or run out of steam and leave the task half completed.

I didn't study what I wanted to study because my parents didn't think art was a suitable or stable career. I flunked 2 colleges and university. I chased relationships during these 5 years and experienced heightened anxiety and rollercoaster of emotions during said years. When I was happy in my relationships I obsessed over them and would skip classes to be with them. When things were bad I felt so low that I couldn't concentrate or face being in classes.

I began to become lost in computer games as I felt I could achieve more and was lost in a world of fantasy. When I came across difficulties in such games I would often quit outright due to frustration. I have a habit of restarting games when they get too difficult. It's almost an addiction. I find it easier to replay and achieve what I have done many times before as a form of safety behaviour.

I've always been wreckless with money. My brother would save hard and buy expensive things once in a while. Case and point he bought his first house as soon as he left home without ever having rented. When i got a job my spending became even more unstable and I ended up in debt multiple times. I never valued money and always spent outside my means. I would spend a lot on friends. it made me feel gratified by seeing them happy. I attracted a lot of users over the years.

In recent years I've helped many friends with emotional issues ranging from breakups, sexual issues, abuse and bullying. I feel I can understand and help people well. it feels easier to help other's than help myself. Now that I wish to help myself I feel the task is somewhat daunting. Whilst I've begun to understand myself and work on self help I fear that perhaps this'll be yet another task in which I fail to complete it or finish it to a good degree.

Core beliefs - I am an underachiever, I fail to see things through to completion, I have so much potential and I'm not doing anything with it.

My parents often reinforce this belief. They ask when I'll go back to work and stop claiming ESA benefits for my anxiety and depression. There was guilt in claiming these benefits originally due to the stigma attached to seeking government aid for mental health conditions. They often say that I could achieve so much and yet I'm not achieving anything.

I worked the same job for 9.5 years. I never got promoted and my enthusiasm waxed and waned. When I focused and dedicated my effort I was the highest achiever of set tasks in the whole office. I lived in fear of losing the job due to a takeover by a company. I survived the first wave of redundancy and then voluntarily opted for redundancy during the second wave. I quit my job in June 2014. I was hoping to follow my art and photography, but once again - enthusiasm has waned. When I do try hard with my creative skills I achieve a lot. But I'm scared of taking it further, of truly achieving what I want to achieve in life. I know deep down I could go far. But I'm not pushing for it, in fact I feel like the child's inner belief of not achieving is holding me back.

It's a feeling of being misunderstood. I want to help myself and my parents understand that I can better myself and get to where I want to be. But I need to challenge these core beliefs.

Ed

I can relate to this. I've had to ask myself why it matters to me so much WHAT my parents think.

Do you want to do something with art/photography? Where is it you want to be?

raggamuffin
02-16-2015, 04:51 AM
I still live with mine so it makes things a bit tricky. I find it hard enough to really explain my anxiety to them for them to understand, let alone these core beliefs from my childhood. I plan on moving out in May with my girlfriend. But she's worried about me getting a job prior to this. I know ESA covers housing expenses but I'd like to be earning my keep by May. Currently in my second round of CBT with a therapist who isn't entirely what I'd hoped for. She is helping to a certain degree, but I think a lot more needs to come from within myself.

I wish to be self employed as my career. I don't enjoy photography of people and so that eliminates one of the key means many photographers make a living off of. Galleries love my artwork and photography and have offered £600+ per drawing. But galleries also charge steep commission and weekly rental charges for displaying your work on their walls. So I'd need a part time job to tide me over.

My anxiety and depression was a lot worse in my old job. The symptoms and stress piled on much higher in the office than at any other time. I wanted to tackle my anxiety and depression prior to finding another job. With May coming up around the corner things feel rather rushed in terms of tackling my anxiety and depression. The Richmond Society helps people with mental health issues in UK to find work and so they'd be much more understanding of my issues and should help me find suitable work. I cannot work until May as my girlfriend has irregular days off work which would mean taking up a job earlier than may would mean we'd never see each other and effectively put an end to our relationship. I know she can stay at mine until we find a flat and suitable jobs so there's no true rush or worry there.

Just getting all my thoughts out here, sorry if it seems jumbled.

Ed

gypsylee
02-16-2015, 05:05 AM
I still live with mine so it makes things a bit tricky. I find it hard enough to really explain my anxiety to them for them to understand, let alone these core beliefs from my childhood. I plan on moving out in May with my girlfriend. But she's worried about me getting a job prior to this. I know ESA covers housing expenses but I'd like to be earning my keep by May. Currently in my second round of CBT with a therapist who isn't entirely what I'd hoped for. She is helping to a certain degree, but I think a lot more needs to come from within myself.

I wish to be self employed as my career. I don't enjoy photography of people and so that eliminates one of the key means many photographers make a living off of. Galleries love my artwork and photography and have offered £600+ per drawing. But galleries also charge steep commission and weekly rental charges for displaying your work on their walls. So I'd need a part time job to tide me over.

My anxiety and depression was a lot worse in my old job. The symptoms and stress piled on much higher in the office than at any other time. I wanted to tackle my anxiety and depression prior to finding another job. With May coming up around the corner things feel rather rushed in terms of tackling my anxiety and depression. The Richmond Society helps people with mental health issues in UK to find work and so they'd be much more understanding of my issues and should help me find suitable work. I cannot work until May as my girlfriend has irregular days off work which would mean taking up a job earlier than may would mean we'd never see each other and effectively put an end to our relationship. I know she can stay at mine until we find a flat and suitable jobs so there's no true rush or worry there.

Just getting all my thoughts out here, sorry if it seems jumbled.

Ed

I guess having such successful siblings makes it hard too. But it seems like you have a good idea of what you want to do and it's not unrealistic. So I'm not sure what you're worried about?

Im-Suffering
02-16-2015, 06:24 AM
Decisions are powerful, period. Because the decision was made to examine beliefs and raise them to awareness, they naturally bring with them a set of problems, because once these problems are resolved, and or a firm course of action, the beliefs can fade away. If you endeavor to examine the self of course you will be met with obstacles that need clearing in order to attain that goal, this is what the OP is up to. Do not go any further unless you understand this. Now assuming its understood, let's move on.

I'll address this here in public rather than private because a) you are anonymous, and b) since you posted in public, that means someone, at some time, will benefit, other than you. So.. With that said let's get this out here and help others in the process. It is not meant to be kept secretive. If I use the word "you" that means "anyone".

Now:

I warned you to be ever so watchful of mental masturbation. Here is a fine example (the OP) since that's what is going on. If someone is going to do this, they better reach orgasm. That's not the case here. Its all rather meaningless (could be if not recognized), its just mental 'strokes' without purpose. Raise the belief, face the problems it causes, heal them through definitive action in thought and deed.

In your OP you named at least 5 solid problems, however, the problems compile without resolution, which breeds worry.

These are not hard issues!

Money is a hard game (lesson). Learn from your mistakes and do not repeat them, or the petty problems now, overspending, etc. will turn into huge issues later on. Foreclosures, big debt, bankruptcy, relationship deterioration. Stop now, and save. Spend wisely. Throwing money away is symbolic of value of self. (Devalue).

Other issues, moving out, time with the girl, saving for a flat, the commissions at the gallery and so forth as mentioned in the OP have been recognized by the self.

In regards (for example) to the art, someone would cut their fuc#@$n toe off to have talent, let alone giving a dealer 90% commissions and weekly rent to have their work shown. You do - what it takes.

You do what you have to do, or you perish. Negotiate more commission, less rent. Or give them one painting free in exchange for some wall space weekly. 600 a week free.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

The formula is always the same, never any variation:

Whether success in a relationship, work, money -

Determination, perseverance, passion, power, discipline, unrelenting persistence, unwaivering courageous acts during fear. (3 minutes of courage changes a life). Firm decision making, and act immediately on them. Act or die trying.

You must get out there and act like death is chasing your tail, if you stop even for a moment to masturbate you will perish. You've got a foe on your back that is always out thinking you and one step ahead, old man time will beat you down. Behind time are the ghosts of your fears, the monsters under the bed, and if you let these creatures of the night grab you, your finished.

Begin at once to be a problem solver, not a worrier without action. I warn you.

Turn around and tell the ghosts you will fight to the death to get what you want in life. Tell old man time you will ignore the clock and that he has no power over you. Then about face and grab life by the balls.

When you find yourself masturbating, recognize it, and then share a laugh at how silly this whole thing is.

"I shall have what I want and nothing will stop me". " if I need money to move out, support and lavish my girl with gifts, hang my paintings in galleries, I will sell ice to Eskimos in igloos if I have to". "I win or perish, there are no bridges of retreat to fall back on".

"If I should fail 1000 times I will try 1000 more."

Character traits to be developed through use of the imagination and action:

Desire
Definiteness of purpose
Burning passion for achievement
Decision
Determination
Constructive reinforcement from others
Constructive auto suggestion (self talk)
Courage (as small as a mustard seed. If someone has 3 minutes of courage in a life (80 years ), that 90 seconds changes its course completely).
Close the mind to criticism (from within and without, by firm plans and action in their attainment regardless of setbacks)
Close the mind to the susceptibility of negativity. Ignore anyone who says "you can't", ignore " I can't".
Surround self worth like minded people (work at a gallery to pay for the space).
Believe
Be good
Have high ideals
Hold self to high esteem (in high esteem)
Use the imagination and creative faculties for problem solving, not the ego masturbation.
Love more
Focus more
Clarify intent
Expect more

And do not let others dictate your course or deviate you from your plans or - change who you are. (In your case pressure from family and perceived successes of others).

Let this post raise in you feelings of inner power, feel it, that power is you. The self power is likened to a thunderstorm as you marvel at natures raw power. That same energy is within. Made from the same stuff as lightening.

Harness that, you see, and you change the world.

I have read this post back, and I'm happy with it. Take note, all readers, of the mental framework and characteristics of success. As given, they must achieve results.