PDA

View Full Version : First post: Currently feeling bad anxiety, please help!

MikeG
02-11-2015, 06:13 PM
Hi folks,

My name is Mike, I am 30 and I recently moved to the states from the UK 2 years ago.For the past few months I have been getting bad anxiety attacks. When it first started, it was due to having pains in my chest and tightness in my arms. I made the stupid mistake of checking what these symptoms online and low and behold, every website points to heart attack. Naturally this made me panic and anxiety began to take it's hold on me for the first time. I can honestly say it was the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life and I was expecting to drop dead right there and then. This continued several times and I could only get through it by calling my dad back home, who experienced the same thing in the past.

I went to the doctor in work and had an EKG and it came up fine. This calmed the anxiety a bit but I started to get more symptoms, especially in my arms and chest with pain and tightness and I went back to the doctor again in a panic who performed a 2nd EKG and everything was fine. The doctor said it was most likely anxiety and that my heart was fine. She gave me a Valium and I went back to work and this made me realize I wasn't going to drop dead and it was all in my head after 2 heart tests. That was maybe 3 months ago and I have been good ever since, shrugging off any bad thought when I get pains in my chest.

I have been vaping nicotine a lot in the past year and I believe that this is probably a big contributing factor, and I plan to give it up very soon as soon as all of my vaping liquids are finished.

Tonight I started to get a tingling pain in the right hand side of my jaw and naturally I Googled it and checked the first article I read pointed to signs of an impending heart attack and "Do not ignore these symptoms!" and that has sent me off in an anxiety attack again, the dizziness, light head, heart racing, blurred vision, feel like I am about to die.

Does anxiety ever go away? I have found writing this post has calmed me down somewhat thankfully.

Godzillasaurus
02-11-2015, 06:35 PM
Proclaiming my anxiety problems helps me as well. There is just something to getting your stress and anger out to the public that just feels... good(?).

Anyway, we unfortunately do not have the authority to diagnose you or completely write-off your "symptoms" as "made up"; you need a real MD to do that. What I can tell you, however, is that your anxiety is what is causing this crippling fear even when your doctor explained that it isn't too much to worry about.

alex42
02-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Hi folks,

My name is Mike, I am 30 and I recently moved to the states from the UK 2 years ago.For the past few months I have been getting bad anxiety attacks. When it first started, it was due to having pains in my chest and tightness in my arms. I made the stupid mistake of checking what these symptoms online and low and behold, every website points to heart attack. Naturally this made me panic and anxiety began to take it's hold on me for the first time. I can honestly say it was the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life and I was expecting to drop dead right there and then. This continued several times and I could only get through it by calling my dad back home, who experienced the same thing in the past.

I went to the doctor in work and had an EKG and it came up fine. This calmed the anxiety a bit but I started to get more symptoms, especially in my arms and chest with pain and tightness and I went back to the doctor again in a panic who performed a 2nd EKG and everything was fine. The doctor said it was most likely anxiety and that my heart was fine. She gave me a Valium and I went back to work and this made me realize I wasn't going to drop dead and it was all in my head after 2 heart tests. That was maybe 3 months ago and I have been good ever since, shrugging off any bad thought when I get pains in my chest.

I have been vaping nicotine a lot in the past year and I believe that this is probably a big contributing factor, and I plan to give it up very soon as soon as all of my vaping liquids are finished.

Tonight I started to get a tingling pain in the right hand side of my jaw and naturally I Googled it and checked the first article I read pointed to signs of an impending heart attack and "Do not ignore these symptoms!" and that has sent me off in an anxiety attack again, the dizziness, light head, heart racing, blurred vision, feel like I am about to die.

Does anxiety ever go away? I have found writing this post has calmed me down somewhat thankfully.

I've had the same issues. Been on and off for 25 years... Long time. BUT I am currently learning to focus on my breathing... Relaxing... Owning my feelings and trying to nip those "fears" before they spiral out of control. Knowledge is power. Do some research on panic disorder... It is definitely eye opening. And just talking about it and getting out there can help so much. You are NOT alone in this. Know that. Seek the help you need... It's out there... Therapy, some meds if need be...

trinidiva
02-11-2015, 07:01 PM
All of what you are describing could be anxiety. The fact that you went and had the EKG done is a good thing. They probably also checked your blood pressure too....how was that? If it was good, that is another check off your list. You may want to also just get your cholesterol checked....and once you have all three of those results, you can definitely put your heart worries to rest.

MikeG
02-12-2015, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the replies. I havent had my cholestrol checked but I imagine it isn't too good as in the past few months I have been doing a lot of pigging out and have gained around 15lbs. It's something I will maybe look into, but I am always reluctant to see a doctor outside of work due to being on a high deductable insurance plan. I wouldnt like to get some tests done then get landed with a huge bill, especially as I am getting married this year.

trinidiva
02-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. I havent had my cholestrol checked but I imagine it isn't too good as in the past few months I have been doing a lot of pigging out and have gained around 15lbs. It's something I will maybe look into, but I am always reluctant to see a doctor outside of work due to being on a high deductable insurance plan. I wouldnt like to get some tests done then get landed with a huge bill, especially as I am getting married this year.

I understand how you feel about spending the money. It can definitely add up. Not sure where you live ...but if it is in the US...typically you get one free physical assessment per year. If you do have that. ..I would as for a blood test to check cholesterol and otger things like iron, potassium, etc. It will give you HUGE piece of mind, which could help you reduce your stress level tremendously. Maybe you may want to buy a blood pressure cuff too...a cheap one might be 20 dollars....or possibly less.... just so you can check your pressure on your own. When it's normal....your stress level will decrease.

You know....when dealing with anxiety...I find it helps to make a list of things to try to accomplish. With each of those accomplishments, you start to feel a bit more in control, a little stronger and feel like you are better equipped to deal with life's surprises.

Something small might be..... begin a daily exercise routine. Doesn't have to be anything crazy....it could be walking or using hand weights..or light cardio. I think they have free videos on YouTube. Do it for 20-30 minutes per day. It will be hard at first....but then as time goes on....you will see the numbers on the scales go down.

Perhaps try to cut out certain things from your diet. There are certain foods that are not good for anxiety suffers....especially processed food....items with alot of MSG. ..etc...

Make small goals based on things that trigger your anxiety. It will be hard....but the sense of accomplishment when you can achieve those goals is tremendous.