PDA

View Full Version : Need help shopping!

Cindy
08-04-2008, 08:38 PM
My panic attack happened at the mall and at the time I did not realize what it was. This feeling overcame me like never before (overwhelmed, body temp shot up, knees buckling, body tingling, I thought I was going to pass out.) My husband was on the other side of the mall and all I could think about was getting to him before I passed out. Could not walk any further then finally found a chair to sit in. My husband walked me out of the mall arm in arm. Wow! Now... I find it difficult to shop. In my mind I just know I am going to pass out and the same symptoms start. Used to love shopping now it is a dreadful thing I have to do and ask someone to go with me. Help! Anyone have advice on how to get past this?

02Batmobile
08-07-2008, 10:24 PM
This is completely normal. If I were to have a panic attack at the movie theater, I would avoid the movies. If I were to have a panic attack at the drive-thru at McDonald's, I would probably go in to order. There are many ways you can overcome this but in the end, you will never overcome this unless you face your fear. That doesn't mean to force yourself to shop at the mall for 2 hours straight tomorrow! You need to take baby steps. I was afraid of driving to my girlfriend's because it was a pretty lenghty ride. I couldn't make it past this one gas station. What I did was, drive with her to that gas station and we parked there. I was jus' trying to feel comfortable. Than from there, I would drive home. I would do this for days until I was comfortable with driving there alone. Then I would drive halfway to her house and park there. Jus' relaxing in the shade and getting used to the half-way marker. Again, I drove home and drove to this half-way marker for days until I was completely comfortable. There is the other method: Xanax. I was afraid to death about this upcoming flight to Mexico. I said to myself and other, "I can't! I can't do it!!" So what my psychiatrist recommended was that I take one pill in the morning of the flight and then 30 minutes jus' before the flight. Man I tell ya, I was so relieved I made it through!! On the trip back, I was so confident in myself, that I didn't even take a pill!! After that, I was able to fly on planes again.

Jus' take baby steps but do force yourself to face your fears because mostly, it's the anticipatory anxiety that kills us. Sometimes when we force ourselves to do it, we realize it was no big deal in the first place!

Hang in there!!
-James (AOL Instant Message Me!!) :)

Cindy
08-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks so much for the advice. It's so nice to hear from somebody that understands. I will keep trying. Baby steps.

02Batmobile
08-08-2008, 09:21 PM
I hope I encouraged you. Don't feel bad or discouraged if it doesn't go so well one day. At times it felt as if I took one step back during my road to recovery but the important thing is that I kept working on it. The baby steps is called desensitization. You are learning to desensitize yourself to the anxiety. It works, trust me.

One other tip: My CBT therapist said if I ever felt anxious in line somewhere or at a shopping mall, in your case, stay an extra 3 minutes. Ever feel like, "Ok, this is enough. I gotta get the hell outta hear NOW!"? Usually when we feel stuck or trapped in these places, we want an escape route NOW. I was feeling a lil' bit like this at the grocery store the other day and remembered his advice. I knew that I could easily drop everything and run to the car and head home. I knew that there was an escape route to safety. I waited 3 minutes and by the end of the 3rd minute, I was able to continue shopping. Give this a try. Good Luck!!

Hang in there!
-James (AOL Instant Message Me!!)

Cindy
08-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Sounds good, I will try the three minutes. I know I need to be distracted when this comes on me while shopping. Have been considering seeing a therapist also... what is CBT? Have seen this a few times on this forum.

02Batmobile
08-09-2008, 09:23 PM
CBT stands for Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy. See a CBT Therapist that specializes in anxiety.

Good Luck and let me know how you are doing!!

Hang in there!
-James (AOL Instant Message Me!!) :)

stillhopeful
03-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I think this would be good advice for me to follow to. Baby steps. I just wish it could happen NOW so I could get my life back. :oops:

lunalady
05-20-2010, 09:17 AM
I think this would be good advice for me to follow to. Baby steps. I just wish it could happen NOW so I could get my life back. :oops:

Start TODAY and you will start to get your life back :)

Jill

LaylaSummerville
10-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Hi...I also feel that shopping is my worst problem area. Be it a grocery store, mall or walmart type thing. It started about a year ago and since then Ive gone to an actual mall maybe 3, 4 times. Ive mostly gone to those outlet centre places where I can park right in front of the store i want to go to... I try to go and do my best but I almost feel as if something has permanently changed in my head that will always keep this anxiety in the back of my head. I just cant see it ever being normal again, ya know? I always have it in my head before I get there, even if im ok, the anticipation is just ALWAYS there.