PDA

View Full Version : Need anxiety advice please.

BZManchester
02-05-2015, 03:35 AM
Sorry for posting on here, but I have been in a relationship with someone with anxiety for around a year.

It is really up and down and I think I might be making things worse for him.

He has suffered anxiety in the past and has been on meds (not sure what kind) , but isn't on any now.

For the first 6 months - everything was good - then simple little arguments turn into breakdowns in communications.

We get stuff calmed down then have exactly the same argument about the same historical things. I want to talk about things but we never talk things through properly - and the arguments we have now just seem to keep adding on every single other argument that has happened in the past. He then goes through periods of blaming me for the anxiety, not sleeping, letting his uni stuff slide.

I am not an anxiety sufferer - and I don't understand a lot of it, so any advice here would be great. I don't want to give up on this if there is a way to sort things out.

Thanks

raggamuffin
02-05-2015, 04:23 AM
The happiness of a relationship can plaster over the anxiety for some time but eventually the relationship will lead to more worries prior to the relationship beginning for your partner. If you wish to talk to him properly and face to face conversations lead to arguments, then perhaps try an email or letter approach. It can be difficult for someone with anxiety to open up.

I can imagine it's frustrating and worrying to try and tackle and understand a condition you yourself do not suffer from. Anxiety can trap the person in their own little world and it can be hard for them to break free of the constant worries and fears that run through their mind. Simply being there for him will be of comfort. Anxiety can certainly cause a volatile nature, tempers fray easily - frustrations boil to the surface quickly and seemingly inconsequential issues can result in sheer terror and panic.

Perhaps you should look into anxiety more with your partner. Knowledge and understanding anxiety is the key to start overcoming it.

Ed

BZManchester
02-05-2015, 04:56 AM
Thanks Ed :D