PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to go without treatment?

Halfslice
02-03-2015, 09:16 PM
Hello!
After 7 months of dealing with doctors and looking for answers I have finally given up and acknowledged the anxiety diagnosis. I've had many doctors tell me that it's anxiety and that there really isn't anything physically wrong with me but I never really believed them because my symptoms seemed to physical eg: numbness/tingling (not because of hyperventilation), vertigo, clumsiness, trouble with speech, and fatigue. Now after a plethora of tests I'm starting to reconsider. Now to the point, I've had neurological symptoms since the beginning of this, foggy thinking and memory being the worse. If I don't get treatment such as medication or therapy, will these these symptoms ever go away? I'm hoping after I get a job, car and become more social that these symptoms will start to ease up.
After browsing the internet, I ran across something that kinda made me worry. It was an article explaining how anxiety left untreated will cause permanent brain damage. I couldn't determine if this was just a load of internet bullshit or actually true. Can someone offer me some insight to how this works? Is it actually like IQ dropping damage or is it just a scam to get people on anti-anxiety medication?

Thanks
~Halfslice

Godzillasaurus
02-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Unfortunately, I am still young and my anxiety has only just reached its peak, so I cannot tell you how effective professional treatment is. But what I can tell you is that your anxiety itself seems to be the culprit behind your physical "symptoms", as it can make you both tired and numb. Try some relaxation techniques! That will alleviate your worries

PanicCured
02-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Hello!
After 7 months of dealing with doctors and looking for answers I have finally given up and acknowledged the anxiety diagnosis. I've had many doctors tell me that it's anxiety and that there really isn't anything physically wrong with me but I never really believed them because my symptoms seemed to physical eg: numbness/tingling (not because of hyperventilation), vertigo, clumsiness, trouble with speech, and fatigue. Now after a plethora of tests I'm starting to reconsider. Now to the point, I've had neurological symptoms since the beginning of this, foggy thinking and memory being the worse. If I don't get treatment such as medication or therapy, will these these symptoms ever go away? I'm hoping after I get a job, car and become more social that these symptoms will start to ease up.
After browsing the internet, I ran across something that kinda made me worry. It was an article explaining how anxiety left untreated will cause permanent brain damage. I couldn't determine if this was just a load of internet bullshit or actually true. Can someone offer me some insight to how this works? Is it actually like IQ dropping damage or is it just a scam to get people on anti-anxiety medication?

Thanks
~Halfslice

You need to stop this now! Anxiety is an adrenaline rush, could that cause brain damage? Stop with the doctors and googling 9 hours a day and simply focus on getting yourself better. The doctors can't fix you but that can give you the anxiety diagnosis which you do have. Even if you take their drugs, they are only masking what lies beneath, the source of your problem still remains.

I spent thousands of dollars on doctor visits until I finally said fuck this and took the matter into my own hands. That is what I suggest you do. Read the first page of my post how I cured my anxiety disorder and you will have a good idea of what you need to do. Sorry to be so blunt but you need to jump on the healing path and get off the train you are on. The path you are on only leads to more anxiety. You need to jump off it and get on the healing path, move forward towards being anxiety free, and don't look back!

Please read the 1st page here: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?8633-Techniques-I-Used-to-Overcome-My-Panic-Anxiety-Disorder

gypsylee
02-03-2015, 11:06 PM
Hello!

Thanks
~Halfslice

LOL at "permanent brain damage". Anxiety can become more severe without treatment but the brain is incredibly resilient and flexible, so this is just not true.

Getting job/car/social life is going to be much more effective than any medication in my opinion. It's just a case of whether you can achieve those things without meds or therapy. If you're able to do it on your own then great, you don't HAVE to do anything. That said, something like CBT can be very valuable in dealing with anxiety.

Oh and something I wish I'd learned twenty years ago is how breathing affects anxiety. Deep (diaphragmatic) breathing is very effective and it doesn't cost a thing or involve any doctors!

All the best :)
Gypsy x

jessed03
02-04-2015, 02:59 AM
I'll tell you what does cause permanent brain damage, marriage. Now there's something to be very afraid of! :)

Anxiety, well that's just an over-stimulated fear center; a monster whose bark is far worse than its bite.

gypsylee
02-04-2015, 03:36 AM
I'll tell you what does cause permanent damage, marriage. Now there's something to very afraid of! :)

Anxiety, well that's just an over-stimulated fear center; a monster whose bark is far worse than its bite.

True that!!

Whir35
02-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Anxiety cannot cause permanent brain damage so yes it is absolute rubbish.

Sounds like you are on a typical anxiety spiral. I am one stage ahead of that on my anxiety journey in that I have understood and can accept the anxiety - I think there are three main stages of an anxiety disorder. Firstly the actual anxiety disorder triggered by whatever event (in my case a series of panic attacks which developed into a panic disorder) then move onto the second phase which in whatever way they can either through self help or therapy they come to an understanding of the problem, what exactly is causing it and critically realising that anxiety is harmless and they then stop fearing it and accept it as a part of their life and then the third stage which is resolution and this comes naturally over time and exposure. Exposure to anxiety provoking situations is key and exposing yourself to the anxiety with the new found tolerance of the anxiety found in stage 2 will gradually eliminate the anxiety all together.