PDA

View Full Version : extreme anxiety over being shot/robbed

Non-linear
01-28-2015, 06:44 PM
I just recently moved to a large major metropolitan area, now there certainly is some risk living here, so it's not entirely unwarranted to be cautious, however my anxiety over it is to an abnormal amount. I have to ride the bus/train around here, and while I feel okay once I'm on them, I'm terrified during the walk and more so the wait at the bus stop. I'm constantly looking around freaking out if anybody walks in my direction. Sometimes the night before I have to leave to ride the bus somewhere I will be having a small panic attack. Idk what to do, it's really interfering with my ability to function or even be happy. I often read the news or obsessively check crime maps online.

Other day I had an interview for a job and while waiting for the bus I refused to leave the edge of parking lot (bus stop is about 150 ft from the business) so I could quickly escape danger. I saw a Hispanic man walking in that direction and I immediately starting worrying that maybe he was involved in one of the Hispanic gangs around here and ran into the store, missed the bus, then went back out and waiting in the edge of the parking lot until I barely saw the bus come around the corner then quickly ran to the stop to catch it. (Btw the man just went into the business to do some shopping lol)

Any ideas? I'm losing it here.

NixonRulz
01-28-2015, 07:04 PM
I'm guessing you live in the States based on your story. Cities are scary. I wouldn't live in those crime holes

So your fear is somewhat justified but at the same time, you can't stop living your life because you live in da hood

Two choices. Be aware of your surroundings without over the top fear or move to the country where us hillbillies are harmless unless we have too many Budweisers

Either way, you are overreacting to the "what if" question that revolves around anxiety disorders

You can be safe without being afraid

Non-linear
01-28-2015, 07:56 PM
I'm guessing you live in the States based on your story. Cities are scary. I wouldn't live in those crime holes

So your fear is somewhat justified but at the same time, you can't stop living your life because you live in da hood

Two choices. Be aware of your surroundings without over the top fear or move to the country where us hillbillies are harmless unless we have too many Budweisers

Either way, you are overreacting to the "what if" question that revolves around anxiety disorders

You can be safe without being afraid

I don't actually even live in the hood or work in a hood. It's atlanta so there's more private area, nothing like Philly, LA etc.

trinidiva
01-28-2015, 09:18 PM
I live outside of Washington DC, so I understand about crime in the inner city. The key is just being aware of your surroundings. Not every minority is a thug or robber....remember that too. I truly believe that when we pay close attention we notice things that aren't right....for instance.....if someone is checking you out a little longer than normal.....dont freak out....just look at them so they know that YOU'VE noticed them. It is probably ok to stand at the bus stop, but dont have your nose buried in your phone.....that would make you less aware of what is taking place around you. There is safety in numbers.....so, if there are others at the bus stop....that might make things a bit easier.

Unfortunately, my opinion is, you just have to keep going out....the longer you try avoidance...the harder it will be for you.

Xerosnake90
01-28-2015, 09:19 PM
You have an irrational fear based on stories in the news. If people were getting stabbed left and right it wouldn't be news! Be safe, don't fear what ifs. Anything is possible, yet we focus on the negative. You could be a millionaire next week. That what if doesn't sound scary does it? ;)

It's only scary because you make it out to be. Let it go friend.