PDA

View Full Version : Problems after depression/anxiety attack

mystic
01-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Hey guys, so it's now been some months after my son's depression/anxiety attack. Let me summarize his situation. He was diagnosed at age 4 with ADHD and "Mild" Autism, he had been doing fine until shortly before turning 15 mid last year when for the first time he started showing signs of depression and anxiety so we started taking him to a therapist but in september it became severe that I took him to the ER, they referred him to a Mental Hospital where he stayed 10 days to stabilize the suicidal thoughts and attempt and they put him on zyprexa. When discharged from that hospital, for the next month we saw signs of him getting back to normal then they recommend a Psychiatrist who switched the med to Zoloft and he has been on this ever since for a few months now. Problem is, since he started taking zoloft, no suicidal thoughts or issues BUT over time I am seeing new what may be side effects of the zoloft.

Mike used to be a very happy very active child prior to the attack and now he's the opposite. He was addicted to his computer and never watched much TV and he could not sit still for too long, he would keep running around the house and outside every so often whenever he needed a break from his computer. Now, he is the opposite, he's hardly on his computer anymore, watches more tv now not all day but more than he used to. He spends most of the time just lying down and staring into space and now he can't seem to focus on anything for more than a minute and when he's doing anything he will zone out lost in thought, you would think he's sleeping. I am also seeing more symptoms of full blown autism as time goes by.

His Psychiatrist says maybe the attack did more damage than we realize and now it's showing and taking over. I am thinking the zoloft might not be the med for him and thinking of going back to zyprexa but he says the zyprexa is only used to stabilize suicide issues and he needs the zoloft to battle the depression and anxiety so I am lost, I am thinking maybe instead of relying on a general psych maybe I should seek someone who specializes in Autism? Any ideas or leads at all which be so appreciated, anyone?