PDA

View Full Version : coping techniques?

shoe
06-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Anyone have coping techniques they'd like to share for how they deal with anxiety?

My take on it is that us anxiety sufferers need to shift our focus from the internal to the external. In other words, instead of focusing on our symptoms, feelings, our behaviors, the way we look or feel, and how we are perceived - We need to look externally - observe the world around us, breathe it in and drink of its splendor. lol that sounds a bit corny, but perhaps somewhat true. If we can find a way to stop thinking about ourselves and our anxiety, by thinking of something completely outside of ourselves, the anxiety itself might fade away.

I've noticed that type of thing works for me, if I can concentrate my mind fully on it - instead of mixing it in with my other thoughts. Sometimes I will just look around at people around me and notice things about the way they dress, their hair, what they are doing and how they observe and interact with the environment. Sometimes if there are animals around I will observe them as well. If I can't look at something living, I'll just look at the architexture of a building, the way things are constructed, or if I'm outside I'll pick out trees and plants and flowers that make me appreciate the beauty of nature. For those whose anxiety is related to the environment they are in, its probably best not to notice the 'larger picture' but to focus on the details of things around them, and maybe in some way try to imagine they are deteached from their body, or at least the feelings going through it. I don't know, thats just an idea to ponder.

Other than 'externalizing' my thoughts, I've also found that imagining my anxiety as something of an entity which can be willed around by thought helps. Like, I'll imagine my anxiety is shifted down to my toes or to my pinky finger hehe.. just so it doesn't feel like its gotten a hold of the entire 'ME', in a way taking back control of myself and forcing that little pest to dwell in places I don't care about. I got the idea for this when reading an article about the ways some people express nervousness - jumpy legs or tapping fingers etc.. its like the anxiety is sort of manifesting itself in one area and then consequently 'exiting' the body through those actions.

I also have little 'catch' words I use to snap myself back to reality, to try and regroup myself and get a grip on what is happening and why.

The important coping techniques like breathing and meditation that I've yet to experiment with are always recommended by the experts, so I plan to try them once I can commit myself to practicing it.

Also, if I'm experiencing a panic attack, just letting myself give in to the attack, surrendering to it and letting it pass over me works too. Fighting it, trying to hide it, and imagining that its going to be something worse only serve to prolong the attack, and maybe even make it worse. We need to acknowledge that its a normal physiological fight-or-flight reaction of the body, and stop feeding it. Just let it wash over us and in time it will resolve itself.

Last but not least, if possible, I allow myself to now and then go to a 'safe spot' where I can find peace and breathe free a little. I'll just excuse myself and go there until I feel a little better, and then try again. It's a little hard to come up with excuses if its done repeatedly so sometimes I think it might be okay to disclose personal information regarding the anxiety (so long as the person is understanding).

wow thats a lot.. if anyone reads through the entire thing, kudos to you! :P

anyway, I'd love to hear other coping skills :)

klb
08-12-2005, 06:14 PM
breath through it slowly and put something happy in your mind..just picture something that made or makes you smile...it works

dharmadoodle
11-02-2005, 07:40 AM
I read a lot.

My recommendations are: Anything by Dr Claire Weekes - Anthony Robbins is good for the mind too.

You learn that life is all about the way you look at it & how you really do make yourself ill.

You planted it there in your mind so you can get rid of it. :D

It really is all in the mind & it really can be reprogrammed, after all isn't that what we've all done in the first place?

Keep searching for ways to beat this guys & if one way don't work, look for another - never give up - there is sooo much life out there waiting for us.

I'm never giving up - i'm on a mission. :D

brickyard_red
11-02-2005, 09:29 AM
I don't know if I have any one thing that I do all the time that helps me through my attacks. I guess it's whatever I can think of to do at the moment. (I'm lucky if I can get that far sometimes.)

One thing I know I do that I don't know if it is a good thing or not, is I repeat a phrase or thought in my head over and over and over until the attack is either gone or almost gone. I don't know if this is a good idea or not as it doesn't take your mind off of what is going on and it doesn't try to eliviate the attack, but it does help me get through them and to a certain degree I guess it is comforting. :?

I have done the breathing, and if I can get myself to do so, I close my eyes and take myself somewhere else. Most of the time it's to the beach or a flower filled valley where I can be all by myself. But, most of the time when I am having an attack, I have to keep my eyes open or it makes it worse. :roll:

I know if I HAVE to go to the grocery store or go and get gas and I'm having a hard time doing it, I will get all ready and then sit down and give myself a pep talk and just make myself run out the door, get in my car and just get it over with. There have been times that I've gotten to the door and had to go back and sit down and try again. I've also gotten in the car, pulled it out of the garage and had to shut it off, go back inside sit down and talk my way through it again. Sad, but true. But, if it really needs to be done, I will eventually get myself there and get it done talking myself through it the whole time. :oops: hehehe

Cath :)

And yes, shoe, I read your whole post! :wink:

babycristy
11-02-2005, 04:49 PM
These techniques all sound good. Sometimes you got to just jump into the situation, whether or not you feel like you can inside. The more you hesitate, the more the anxiety builds up inside of you. But when you are there, it is bad, but NOT THAT BAD...

Since my anxiety comes and goes as it pleases, whenever i realize I am calm enough to take a chance and do something, I just run and do it. Like yesturday I could hardly leave my house to go eat in the dinner table. However, today I felt good, so I said "what the hell, Im going to go shop!"

I know if I wait one second more, the good feeling might go away and I will remain stuck at home.