PDA

View Full Version : Does writing help your anxiety?

Newbie42
01-21-2015, 06:32 PM
I've been recommended to try writing my thoughts out and really thinking about what makes my anxiety tick. I have to say it has really helped. It was difficult to get all my feelings into logical sentences though.

Has anybody else found writing beneficial?

Firestix
01-21-2015, 06:45 PM
Yes, writing has often helped me with anxiety. Often times it is making myself take time to write things down that is the hard part. However, after doing it for a while it does seem to ease the anxiety for me.

Zac Dibble
01-23-2015, 08:14 AM
I'm actually kind of curious about this. When I'm having say a panic attack, I find it difficult to focus on anything other than the attack. Then since panic attacks make me nauseous and I'm emetophobic, it creates an endless cycle that makes the panic attack finitely worse leaving me more or less in shock until my anxiety medication kicks in (not nearly quick enough).
I've been spending time on this site reading through and responding to some posts as I've waited for my anxiety medication to kick in. This seems to have gradually helped me through getting my mind off of it all, which has been somewhat comforting. But, the results of this method are always going to be relative to the person applying it.
So, it may or may not be beneficial to you. You'll have to share and let us know if it does. It could be a consistency worth sharing with others.

gypsylee
01-23-2015, 11:31 AM
I've been recommended to try writing my thoughts out and really thinking about what makes my anxiety tick. I have to say it has really helped. It was difficult to get all my feelings into logical sentences though.

Has anybody else found writing beneficial?

I think it's very beneficial. Anxiety thrives on being stuck in one's head and the process of transforming it into "logical sentences" has a bigger impact than people realise. Even making lists or putting things in a diary or calendar about what you need to do the next day/week/month helps to move things outside of your head. I don't know how people (even non-anxious people) function without doing this.

Also, what we do on this forum is a good way of clarifying stuff that otherwise "festers" in our minds. I find it very helpful to read and respond to other people's posts because I am articulating my own stuff at the same time as (hopefully) helping the other person.

I also write quite long emails to a friend who has the same kind of anxieties as me and that's extremely helpful.

I even write dreams down sometimes :)

All the best,
Gypsy x

gadguy
01-23-2015, 02:19 PM
I'm actually kind of curious about this. When I'm having say a panic attack, I find it difficult to focus on anything other than the attack. Then since panic attacks make me nauseous and I'm emetophobic, it creates an endless cycle that makes the panic attack finitely worse leaving me more or less in shock until my anxiety medication kicks in (not nearly quick enough).
I've been spending time on this site reading through and responding to some posts as I've waited for my anxiety medication to kick in. This seems to have gradually helped me through getting my mind off of it all, which has been somewhat comforting. But, the results of this method are always going to be relative to the person applying it.
So, it may or may not be beneficial to you. You'll have to share and let us know if it does. It could be a consistency worth sharing with others.

First WOW I have same problem (don't want hijack post)

I find writing it out does provide help....at this time I am not able to talk aloud about my feelings and the resulting anxiety...writing somehow is more private and safe. I sometimes use this forum to vent "say out loud" what I am feeling, in that way I do not feel alone, which helps.

Zac Dibble
01-25-2015, 11:07 PM
First WOW I have same problem (don't want hijack post)

I find writing it out does provide help....at this time I am not able to talk aloud about my feelings and the resulting anxiety...writing somehow is more private and safe. I sometimes use this forum to vent "say out loud" what I am feeling, in that way I do not feel alone, which helps.

I know exactly what you mean. There are a great deal of people who recommend therapy, but I don't have the time or money. Frankly, I'm not too keen on the notion of someone listening and dissecting my identity and functions, let alone using tactics that would only work on me if I magically dropped two or three dozen IQ points. Personally, I prefer to be the one doing the dissecting haha.
But, what truly makes forums like this remarkable is the ability to hop on the internet, whether it be from a desktop or mobile device, then talk or seek help from people who have similar issues and understand or have some concept of how to resolve them (ehh run-on sentence). Especially when it comes to anxiety, we all seek some sense of reassurance that everything is okay or for someone to point out how crazy we're really being. It also carries a lot more merit when those words come from someone with similar issues instead of people in your life who can't begin to understand what it's like.

gadguy
01-27-2015, 08:38 AM
I know exactly what you mean. There are a great deal of people who recommend therapy, but I don't have the time or money. Frankly, I'm not too keen on the notion of someone listening and dissecting my identity and functions, let alone using tactics that would only work on me if I magically dropped two or three dozen IQ points. Personally, I prefer to be the one doing the dissecting haha.
But, what truly makes forums like this remarkable is the ability to hop on the internet, whether it be from a desktop or mobile device, then talk or seek help from people who have similar issues and understand or have some concept of how to resolve them (ehh run-on sentence). Especially when it comes to anxiety, we all seek some sense of reassurance that everything is okay or for someone to point out how crazy we're really being. It also carries a lot more merit when those words come from someone with similar issues instead of people in your life who can't begin to understand what it's like.

LOL I tried therapy last year and I felt the same way, before it was over I realized the therapist was in worst shape than I was. I'm sure therapy does work for some people and it was only my first time so i have no real gauge to go by.

Saber_Wing
01-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Writing really helps me cope with my anxiety, because it allows me to organize my thoughts and stop them from racing. Sometimes when I have attacks, I'll sit down and write a story. Anything that comes to mind about what I'm feeling. Last time I wrote a short story about my anxiety itself, personified as a monster, caged inside my head. Crazy as it seems, afterward, I felt a little better, or at least like I had made some sort of sense out of it.

gauth1234
01-31-2015, 08:58 AM
You have to find what helps you best :)