PDA

View Full Version : Chest Pains and Anxiety

niteriders1
07-31-2008, 03:51 AM
My name is Kenny and I'm 28 and i have had anxiety for about a year. I am new to this forum. Lately, the last couple months i been having chest pains and i have had alot of x-rays, blood test and EKG's. I also had a stress test and a holter monitor and everything came back fine. Now all i do is worry about my heart and wondering if i'm having a heart attack. I am on effexor 75mg once a day and xanax .25 as needed. I have a appointment next week to see a psychiatrist. Does anyone else have chest pains? If you have any opinions or know what to do please let me know. Thanks

sarrah
07-31-2008, 08:03 AM
The worst of my attacks focus around my chest pains. I have had all the same tests as you and it has all came back clear. One of the best things I have found is to stop when the pain comes and take a deeeep breath and think about if it actually hurts or not. 99.9% of the time, there is not any actual pain even though just seconds ago it felt like there was a train on my chest. Another thing I do is press on the part that hurts. I don't know why but it helps keep me from freaking out.

I also avoid caffein and other stimulents because it makes it that much worse.

Take care and remember to breath when the pain strikes. Also, ask your doc about costocondritis. That is what my doc thinks is the root of my chest pains.

niteriders1
07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Thank you for your reply. Next time i go to the doctor's i will ask them about costocondritis. I also have cut out all my caffeine and stimulants which i get alot less panic attacks. I will definitley try the breathing technique. Least i'm not the only one out here with the same problem. Thank you and take care.