PDA

View Full Version : Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?

CastletonSnob
01-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Not sure whether to put this topic here or in the Resources forum.

Can anyone tell me how effective CBT is? Is it OK to do it yourself, or should a therapist?

Kuma
01-16-2015, 12:05 PM
There is no one treatment/strategy that works for everyone, so it depends on your condition/situation. But CBT can work very well. I think it is particularly well suited to those who are willing to put in a fair amount of personal effort and are highly motivated to get better (as opposed to those who are resigned to their condition).

I know there are people who do CBT with computer programs or books, but my own view (and I have done CBT) is that a good therapist with substantial experience in CBT can add a lot of value. Good luck.

jessed03
01-17-2015, 06:08 PM
It's one of the more effective methods out there. That is to say, it has a lot of scientific backing behind it.

You can see now how effective it'll be for you: Google cognitive thinking errors and have a read of any page you like the look of. You'll probably find you're committing a handful daily. The more you eliminate, the better you'll feel mentally.

Kuma's right. It does take work. It can take time to get over the hump and start seeing benefits, so be patient. It's likely to work very well.

If your mind feels pretty good, learning from a book is possible. If it's your first time doing CBT or if your problems are quite intense, it's best to see a trained pro. Though, if that's not an option, do get a book. It'll be better than nothing.