PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Anxiety.

CastletonSnob
01-15-2015, 08:19 AM
I think I have sleep anxiety, or insomnia. At least every other week, I have a night where I have to take my melatonin pill. This week, I woke up in the middle of the night Sunday, slept well Monday, and had to take a melatonin Tuesday and last night. Every time I have trouble sleeping, I worry about it all day, worrying that I'll never sleep well again, that the melatonin will stop working, that I'll have trouble sleeping next week, etc. I'm getting tired of it.

Im-Suffering
01-15-2015, 08:50 AM
I'm getting tired (symbolic) of it.

Good ! Now you'll be able to sleep.

CastletonSnob
01-15-2015, 08:56 AM
Good ! Now you'll be able to sleep.

Do you think I have insomnia?

I used to have trouble sleeping at least once a week, but I've found that it's gotten better after I started exercising and getting off the computer an hour before bed.

If I'm not asleep in 20-30 minutes, I reach for a pill.

lexi3309
01-15-2015, 09:31 AM
My anxiety and medicine I am currently taking has caused me to have severe insomnia. When it started getting to the point of staying up until 6 in the morning, and feeling like I was wasting away, I decided to do some research. Although obvious information, I stopped getting on my phone before bed. Instead I would drink some sleepy time tea which seriously relaxed me enough to actually fall asleep and while I was doing that, I read a book. Instead of staring at a bright screen, I was reading words on paper and it actually caused me to fall asleep quicker. I've also read it helps if you read something you are less interested in. It'll bore you to sleep basically, lol. I'm not a doctor and cannot say whether you have insomnia but try these methods if you want another option other than taking a pill! These have helped me the past couple nights with falling asleep and even if I wake up in the middle of the night, I can pretty easily fall back asleep. I hope these suggestions help and you can rest easy finally! Next time you have a bad nights sleep, just tell yourself that tonight will be different! And keep reinforcing yourself positive thoughts about getting to sleep. I'm telling you, sleepy time tea works wonders.

Im-Suffering
01-15-2015, 09:32 AM
Although posts like the above are constructive in blanketing (temporary) the sleep issues, the only way to a permanent solution is through psychological methods as described below. Now we are not talking about side effects of strong medication, just general sleeplessness.

Do you think I have insomnia?

I used to have trouble sleeping at least once a week, but I've found that it's gotten better after I started exercising and getting off the computer an hour before bed.

If I'm not asleep in 20-30 minutes, I reach for a pill.

Continue with the rituals before bed, they do help. Relaxing music, meditative voice (youtube for example), calming tea or beverage, putting the day to rest, literally. If you have a pressing problem, do not ruminate, and wreck your nervous system, but use intelligence and reason from an adult perspective in a possible constructive outcome, and begin the next day to put said decision into action. Do not let problems stew. That is the main cause of sleepless patterns and anxiety, worry, doubt. Now, you can lose sleep if you are excited as well, such as a fun event you are looking forward to. But all in all, allow the day to end with the decision you will take up tomorrow with action, purpose, swift decisiveness and a desire for achievement.

No you do not have insomnia, you have unresolved problems which led full circle to another unresolved problem, sleep. And so you have taken your mind off the real problems (original issues) and placed all focus on a perceived illness (the sleep 'problem' is a byproduct not an issue in itself, and will naturally fade on its own, should you have the courage to face your life, decisively). Do you understand? Read this several times.

CastletonSnob
01-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Although posts like the above are constructive in blanketing (temporary) the sleep issues, the only way to a permanent solution is through psychological methods as described below. Now we are not talking about side effects of strong medication, just general sleeplessness.

Continue with the rituals before bed, they do help. Relaxing music, meditative voice (youtube for example), calming tea or beverage, putting the day to rest, literally. If you have a pressing problem, do not ruminate, and wreck your nervous system, but use intelligence and reason from an adult perspective in a possible constructive outcome, and begin the next day to put said decision into action. Do not let problems stew. That is the main cause of sleepless patterns and anxiety, worry, doubt. Now, you can lose sleep if you are excited as well, such as a fun event you are looking forward to. But all in all, allow the day to end with the decision you will take up tomorrow with action, purpose, swift decisiveness and a desire for achievement.

No you do not have insomnia, you have unresolved problems which led full circle to another unresolved problem, sleep. And so you have taken your mind off the real problems (original issues) and placed all focus on a perceived illness (the sleep 'problem' is a byproduct not an issue in itself, and will naturally fade on its own, should you have the courage to face your life, decisively). Do you understand? Read this several times.

So, I do not have trouble sleeping?

Do you think my anxiety is a big factor in my trouble sleeping?

Im-Suffering
01-15-2015, 09:57 AM
So, I do not have trouble sleeping?

Do you think my anxiety is a big factor in my trouble sleeping?

I told you (last sentence) to reread the post several times. Until it 'clicks'. That could be 100 hours from now.

The trouble is with life, not sleeping. Sleep is a break in life, a pause, you see. And if the problems are pressing, you better dare not take a break. (or your eye off of them for a second). So in that context lack of sleep is symbolic of the way you are handling your life at the moment. Sleep is also meant to be therapeutic and rejuvenating, two conditions that cannot coexist with you if you are beating yourself up for something (s). You cannot feel good under those conditions, so the benefits of sleep are cast aside so your physical can match the mental (the way you feel).

CastletonSnob
01-15-2015, 09:59 AM
I told you (last sentence) to reread the post several times. Until it 'clicks'. That could be 100 hours later.

The trouble is with life, not sleeping. Sleep is a break in life, a pause, you see. And if the problems are pressing, you better dare not take a break. (or your eye off of them for a second). So in that context lack of sleep is symbolic of the way you handle life and its bumpy roads.

But I've had trouble sleeping since freshman year in high school.

Im-Suffering
01-15-2015, 10:08 AM
But I've had trouble sleeping since freshman year in high school.

Exactly, the unsettled mind goes back to childhood, way before even then. In high school you began to feel the effects (you were under pressure, raising previously hidden issues into awareness), and it has continued. The work is internal, on yourself, not the sleep. It is your life to discover, you see. The reasons for any unhappiness, and correct those beliefs that do not make you feel good.

CastletonSnob
01-15-2015, 10:12 AM
Exactly, the unsettled mind goes back to childhood, way before even then. In high school you began to feel the effects (you were under pressure), and it has continued. The work is internal, on yourself, not the sleep. It is your life to discover, you see. The reasons for any unhappiness, and correct those beliefs that do not make you feel good.

No, I think it's because I have ADHD, and I take meds at night.

Im-Suffering
01-15-2015, 10:16 AM
No, I think it's because I have ADHD, and I take meds at night.

Ok, good, you've got it figured out then.

**To everyone else reading this post, there is beneficial information for you if you are having sleep problems. Remember not to focus on the sleep issue itself, which is only a byproduct of something entirely different. For example if you eat a lot of sweets, a tooth cavity may appear sometime later on, never occurring to you (consciously) that you should connect the dots or take responsibility. You would blame your teeth themselves as having a predisposition to cavities, an attack by your teeth, on you, the innocent victim, even as you eat your candy bars. It is never productive to turn a blind eye away from your psyche and solely at physical issues which are the tail end of any problem. It all starts with brooding, psychologically, first. In the case of sleep, this individual (OP) has been brooding for years, and now is still blaming whatever it can grab at.

Since you are so disconnected from yourselves and who you are, you blame sleep as a disorder independent from you, as if the body somehow wont let you sleep, and this is against your will. The problems that prevent you from sleeping are disassociated with the sleep issue itself, and so you remain ignorant to your own life, and natural healing abilities.

CastletonSnob
01-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Ok, good, you've got it figured out then.

But just to be clear, I DO NOT have insomnia?

Im-Suffering
01-15-2015, 10:31 AM
But just to be clear, I DO NOT have insomnia?

No, so you may resume sleep now, normally.

This is my final post.

CastletonSnob
01-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Sorry to post again, but I don't know how much longer I can deal with the anxiety.

fitness2477
01-21-2015, 12:32 AM
If you have ADHD, you probably have hyperfocus and are ruminating on your problems. Which is understandable but you need to make a commitment to SOLVE your anxiety. Or else, you might have a chance to spin wheels.

Keep in mind, forums are good to let anxiety out temporarily, but it can really lead you to bad advice because anyone can give free advice. And what's worse than no advice is bad advice.

Instead, if you really want to solve anxiety, go see a psychologist or an energy practitioner and FOLLOW what they say.