PDA

View Full Version : Tips for falling back asleep?

kaybeee
01-13-2015, 05:19 PM
Recently, I started a new job. I'm 21 (but my birthday's on Thursday!) and I took this semester off so I could just work and save up some money since I'm super poor. I have never experienced a panic attack, but I have experienced pretty intense anxiety (no appetite for days, shaking/trembling, constantly feeling lightheaded, etc.). Yesterday was my first day of work and a week before I started, I began to wake up somewhere between 6-8 in the morning and it would be hard for me to fall back asleep so if I went to bed late, it would really take a toll on me. I typically try to not go to bed too late, but sometimes it happens. When I wake up at this time, I try not to check the time because I know that looking at your phone is bad for you if you're trying to sleep so I won't look at my phone unless I feel like I've been awake for hours. I will sometimes start drifting off into sleep, but then suddenly my heart will start racing again and my mind will be thinking the most random thoughts which keeps me awake. I've tried meditating myself back to sleep and things like that but I can't really find anything that helps. Am I just super nervous about my new job? I also have a bedtime routine. I write a daily journal about anything that stresses me out (I write this in bed, but maybe I shouldn't), then I meditate, and then I go to sleep. I usually will fall asleep while meditating (I use videos on youtube).

Anyway, how do you fall back asleep after you wake up and your mind is just racing and your body is demanding to stay awake, but you're still so tired?

I am not on any anxiety medication because my anxiety is not that severe and I would rather stay away from medication. I'm taking magnesium every morning and evening and sometimes that helps me and I also take omega-3 and vitamin D every evening with dinner.

What are your tips? Suggestions?

superchick22684
01-15-2015, 10:54 AM
Guided imagery and progressive muscle relaxation are what help me.

Xerosnake90
01-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Guided imagery as part of meditation. I find meditation and practiced breathing absolutely knocks me out. Meditation clears the mind of thought while guided breathing activates relaxation In the brain.

I use an app called breathe2relax. It teaches you guided breathing. And calm app for meditation. Enjoy :)