PDA

View Full Version : My hangovers eliminate my anxiety 100% I heard that normally isn't the case.

Jeff1983
01-13-2015, 01:28 AM
As the title reads, I feel am I am at peace and very calm following a night of hard alcohol drinking. From what I've read here on the forum, it seems to be the opposite for most people...sparking more anxiety etc.

When I am hungover it usually wipes me out for the entire day. Sometimes spills into the following day. I am couch ridden. Watching movie after movie and eating Pho till I'm blue in the face.

Although I do not feel "good" during this time per sey, I do feel "at peace" in my mind. Thoughts that normally trigger my anxiety and adrenaline rushes, seem to be non existent. I'll think of the same stuff, but just have a more "whatever" attitude about it. Letting all the things just roll off. I notice the same goes for when I feel under the weather with a cold or the flu. As well as being very very tired from lack of sleep. I feel calm, collected, confident, relaxed...

Curious if there are others that feel the same way?

Also wondering if this is the calmness people feel after being on an anti-anxiety medication. I have never taken any.

I've been going through some tough life events the past two years that I feel were very traumatic. Girlfriend of 5 years cheated on me. We got back together after months of painful separation. We moved on and healed. But then soon after she gets diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Now I find myself stuck in what direction I need to go. Do I commit to her and possibly face a very rough road in life with her being disabled and unable to work or care for our children. Or do I move on and find a healthy girl that could possibly not have the great traits my current one has. I love my girlfriend but I had a vision of how my life was to play out, and care taking a disabled person daily was not part of it. I hate to sound cold or selfish but I feel I need to be as this will effect the quality of my life as well. Everyone is pushing us to take the next step and get married. Her family/friends, my family/friends, society etc. "What are you waiting for, you've been together since forever, do it already" they say. "Man up and take the next step. Time to grow up. Your 31 years old. You should know what you want." they say.

Easy for them to say, they are not in my situation. I'm stuck...

Anyways, in the mean time, I find I drink more than I use to. I'm hungover more than I use to be. But again my question is, does anyone else feel calm and at peace from anxiety when being hungover? Wish that feeling could be permanent without the sick feeling that follows a alcohol hangover. Maybe anti-anxiety medication would be a good thing to look into.

Thanks for reading my post and happy new year.

J

lexi3309
01-13-2015, 10:54 AM
I am not a big drinker per say but reading your post reminded me of the one time I did drink since my anxiety had started. I had drank 2 glasses of wine and it was like I was my old self again. I felt amazing and my thoughts didn't get tangled and messy and even the next day, I felt groggy and a bit hung over but my anxiety didn't cross my mind until I started getting over the hang over. I never gave it much thought until reading your post but I definitely experience this as well as when I am sick. I have had congestion and have barely been able to breathe thru my nose and since I have been going through that, my anxiety hasn't been nearly as bad as it usually is. Which again, I didn't think much of until coming across your post. I wonder why that is. Maybe it calms my mind down knowing something is actually wrong with me and there is a solid reason why I am feeling the way I am feeling and not just some phantom asshole called anxiety messing with my head. That probably has nothing to do with it, but you never know lol

Ambition
01-13-2015, 12:17 PM
As the title reads, I feel am I am at peace and very calm following a night of hard alcohol drinking. From what I've read here on the forum, it seems to be the opposite for most people...sparking more anxiety etc.

When I am hungover it usually wipes me out for the entire day. Sometimes spills into the following day. I am couch ridden. Watching movie after movie and eating Pho till I'm blue in the face.

Although I do not feel "good" during this time per sey, I do feel "at peace" in my mind. Thoughts that normally trigger my anxiety and adrenaline rushes, seem to be non existent. I'll think of the same stuff, but just have a more "whatever" attitude about it. Letting all the things just roll off. I notice the same goes for when I feel under the weather with a cold or the flu. As well as being very very tired from lack of sleep. I feel calm, collected, confident, relaxed...

Curious if there are others that feel the same way?

Also wondering if this is the calmness people feel after being on an anti-anxiety medication. I have never taken any.

I've been going through some tough life events the past two years that I feel were very traumatic. Girlfriend of 5 years cheated on me. We got back together after months of painful separation. We moved on and healed. But then soon after she gets diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Now I find myself stuck in what direction I need to go. Do I commit to her and possibly face a very rough road in life with her being disabled and unable to work or care for our children. Or do I move on and find a healthy girl that could possibly not have the great traits my current one has. I love my girlfriend but I had a vision of how my life was to play out, and care taking a disabled person daily was not part of it. I hate to sound cold or selfish but I feel I need to be as this will effect the quality of my life as well. Everyone is pushing us to take the next step and get married. Her family/friends, my family/friends, society etc. "What are you waiting for, you've been together since forever, do it already" they say. "Man up and take the next step. Time to grow up. Your 31 years old. You should know what you want." they say.

Easy for them to say, they are not in my situation. I'm stuck...

Anyways, in the mean time, I find I drink more than I use to. I'm hungover more than I use to be. But again my question is, does anyone else feel calm and at peace from anxiety when being hungover? Wish that feeling could be permanent without the sick feeling that follows a alcohol hangover. Maybe anti-anxiety medication would be a good thing to look into.

Thanks for reading my post and happy new year.

J

One thing I have noticed its that when I have a cold my anxiety is much lower :) perhaps it's the chemical changes in the body during a cold that calm you or maybe you're to busy thinking about your blocked nose sore throat etc that you forget about anxiety and panic. The more colds I have the better!