PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Celexa to Cipralex/Lepraxo

gusto
07-27-2008, 11:30 PM
I was taking 60 mg celexa for four years to help with what I believe to be some type of anxiety disorder (never been formally diagnosed)...my body was in a constant "fight or flight" state, with my muscles tensed up, my heart racing, etc. The celexa kept this under control.

After several years on celexa, I developed worsening muscle weakness and fatigue, as well as gastrointestinal problems. After ruling out all other potential medical issues, my GP tried switching me from my celexa to 20 mg cirpralex-lexapo. My symptoms disappeared within a week. Everthing seemed to be going OK for the first month, but in the past week I`have noticed increasing levels of anxiety, to the point where I can`t even move my neck my muscles are so tense. I`m going to my GP tomorrow, to see what she recommends.

Has anyone else ever experienced difficulties switching from celexa to cipralex-lexapro?

ebony
08-21-2008, 09:42 PM
never tried celexa but did try the lexapro.
i quit that when i realised i was thinking of slitting my throat every day.
that can't be good.

punkgod94
08-24-2008, 09:26 PM
I was taking 60 mg celexa for four years to help with what I believe to be some type of anxiety disorder (never been formally diagnosed)...my body was in a constant "fight or flight" state, with my muscles tensed up, my heart racing, etc. The celexa kept this under control.

After several years on celexa, I developed worsening muscle weakness and fatigue, as well as gastrointestinal problems. After ruling out all other potential medical issues, my GP tried switching me from my celexa to 20 mg cirpralex-lexapo. My symptoms disappeared within a week. Everthing seemed to be going OK for the first month, but in the past week I`have noticed increasing levels of anxiety, to the point where I can`t even move my neck my muscles are so tense. I`m going to my GP tomorrow, to see what she recommends.

Has anyone else ever experienced difficulties switching from celexa to cipralex-lexapro?

I haven't switched from Celexa to Lexapro, but I have switched in the reverse order. I was put on Lexapro 5 mg daily originally. It seemed to be working better than my previous meds - Effexor (after one week at the low dose I was incredibly tired and had sexual side effects), and Wellbutrin XL which didn't seem to work at all. 5 mg of Lexapro is a pediatric dose, but I was placed on that because I get sexual side effects from SSRI's and related drugs relatively easily apparently. As was the case with Effexor, I got sexual side effects even at the pediatric dose and my doc switched me to Celexa because it has the same isomer. Lexapro was described to me as basically Celexa Plus. I then was switched to Celexa 10 mg a day which didn't do anything for me, so now I'm taking 60 mg Cymbalta daily and I'm experiencing excessive tiredness as well as sexual side effects again. Needless to say that I will be switching medications yet again, but I figured I'd share my experience with both of those meds with you. I'm also on 1mg Klonopin which I take as needed. Good luck, and I hope the switch to Lexapro works for you and the benefits outweigh any possible side effects you experience.

mmbrone
07-30-2009, 07:44 AM
I’ve always been adamant to using prescription drugs to treat anxiety or depression. Let’s just say that for a good decade now, I’ve been dealing with it on my own way until it got to a point where I finally got desperate enough to give meds a try.

My doctor put me on Celexa – starting at 10 mg for the first week, after which she upped the dosage to 20 mg. The first three weeks were hellish. Because of the drug’s side effects, I suffered from dizziness, headaches, lethargy, very poor concentration and memory, a sensation that something is crawling on the back of my head, loss of libido, a sense of high, and anorexia. But on the fourth week, things got better and I felt that my anxiety is finally quieted. It felt wonderful.

However, I started becoming so hyperactive that my doctor told me to return to 10 mg on the fifth week. She described it as Akathisia (restlessness or inability to sit still). After I cut down on the mgs, I felt better; the nasty side effects were almost gone and I still felt relaxed. But then barely two weeks after, my anxiety started to come back and this time it felt worse than before I started taking any meds. My hands would shake and I felt so stressed. So my doctor switched me to Cipralex 20 mg. The only side effect I suffered was lightheadedness, very mild lethargy and hyperactivity that didn’t last long for the first day. Now my anxiety level is almost down to zero and I feel much better than when I did with Celexa. I’m still keeping my fingers crossed.

Each med affects and benefits people differently. If you’re currently taking one that doesn’t seem to agree with you, then stop taking it (but you have to factor in the adjustment period, of course). And most importantly, you’ll have to work at finding what triggers your anxiety and tackling it. Otherwise, meds will just mask your symptoms but your problem will always be there.