PDA

View Full Version : How to find psychiatrist and/or therapist?

qwerty12
01-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Hi,

I'm probably going to have a lot more questions on these forums, as I've been having anxiety issues for over 15 months now with little to no reprieve. But I'll start with this. How does one go about finding the right psychiatrist and therapist to help you? There are just so many out there I feel like I'm going through an ocean of names, with nothing differentiating them. Anyone have any successful methods?

Kuma
01-05-2015, 04:39 PM
One way is to ask a doctor in the community who you trust. For example, if you have a general practice (internal medicine) doctor who you see, you could ask that doctor for a recommendation. They will usually be able to get you a recommendation. You then will probably want to talk with the psychiatrist/therapist, to see whether they would be a good fit for you.

qwerty12
01-05-2015, 05:52 PM
Thank you. Unfortunately, I already tried my PCP's recommended psych and therapist and neither have worked well.

My biggest problem is between my insurance's site, ZocDoc, and PsychologyToday, there's seemingly no consistency in who's out there.

Kuma
01-06-2015, 08:42 AM
You could try calling the chairman of the department of psychiatry at the best hospital in your area. That person might have some recommendations.