PDA

View Full Version : Weird sensations on right side of head?

TB1
12-29-2014, 06:58 PM
Hi again. It's been over a year since I had my first major panic attack, and since then, I've had this weird, I dunno, headache or something on the right side of my head? It's hard to explain. Sometimes, I'll notice a dull ache on the top-right side of my head and behind my right eyeball. It'll occasionally come with a feeling that my balance is not quite at 100%, especially if I turn my head a little too quickly. It comes and goes all the time, and it's never been more than a mild inconvenience.

Should I be concerned with this? I don't want to immediately jump to "deadly brain tumor" because, like I said, it's been like this for so long without getting worse. At the same time, I've heard that people can develop anxiety or depression after experiencing a head wound, and maybe that's something worth looking into. I guess I've answered my own questions in this post, but I'd like to hear from you guys on this. Try to offer some not-so-scary explanations, please. ;)

Goomba
12-29-2014, 10:48 PM
I have had what you are describing, or at the very least, something very similar to it, for a few years. Most headaches or head pains absent from the typical area are commonly related to your neck muscles, or posture.

Your scalp has muscles in that region as well. Muscle strain in the head is a thing.

If it is any reassurance, I had a brain MRI earlier this year, and everything was great in there. Don't play the "what if" game, it is a genuine waste of time, and life.

aml0017
12-31-2014, 11:20 AM
Most people who do not experience anxiety, if they are genuinely concerned about some physical symptom, would just make an appt with a doctor. However, when one has a history of anxiety/panic attacks, I think we really know in the backs of our minds that it is the anxiety talking. So, we ruminate and worry and have repetitive thoughts about it. So something that may have just gone away persists but now we think about it all the time.

So, maybe you have a dull ache in your head sometimes. Maybe it is allergies, maybe you are sitting in front of a computer monitor all day, maybe it is your posture like goomba said. If you were not anxious, you may not really notice it. But once you start thinking about it all the time you start noticing it. You get tense, your heart rate goes up, maybe your blood pressure rises or you start breathing shallowly, not exactly helpful for a headache.

My honest opinion, like goomba said, don't play the "what if" game. Either tell yourself it is just anxiety, or make an appointment with a doctor. You have been experiencing this symptom for a year but you are fine, aren't you? Once you let go of the fear of what it MIGHT be, you may find the symptoms just disappear. I know that it is easier said than done. If you can't do this, just see a doctor. Let them know what the symptoms are and how long you have experienced them but be honest about your previous panic attack as well. If your doctor thinks there is cause for concern, they'll let you know, and you go from there.

It might seem scary to "make it real" by addressing it with a doctor (if you haven't already of course) but it is actually a good thing. First, reality is never as scary as all the worst-case scenarios you are playing in your head. Reality, good or bad, is easier to deal with than thoughts. Second, by facing it and addressing it you are taking some control of the situation, rather than just sitting around wondering and worrying.