PDA

View Full Version : Does the news get to you too?

Slaure
12-29-2014, 04:25 PM
I avoid watching the news. The media only reports negative stuff and invites fear. However, it is starting to get to me and my anxiety acts up and my heart starts racing. It's not bad yet but I'm noticing my anxiety increasing. Yes, bad things happen everywhere and yes we can't let the criminals drive us off. But it's making me want to stay away. How can I move forward with a positive attitude?

JustaGal
12-29-2014, 08:56 PM
I avoid watching the news. The media only reports negative stuff and invites fear. However, it is starting to get to me and my anxiety acts up and my heart starts racing. It's not bad yet but I'm noticing my anxiety increasing. Yes, bad things happen everywhere and yes we can't let the criminals drive us off. But it's making me want to stay away. How can I move forward with a positive attitude?

Dont watch the news, I stopped a while back. The news is morbid and will definitely mess with your head. Be careful what goes into your subconscious. Read and look at positive images.....

JulianS
01-02-2015, 09:27 AM
I'm currently studying NLP and it is my firm belief that this is by design, to keep you dis-empowered. You see, when you see negative imagery (which is around 75% of the time) and you feel bad, you automatically weaken yourself by doing so.

I recommend you watch the videos on, 'mind control' and in particular, check out Dr Joe Marshalla. He wonderfully explains about emotions and how they can empower/dis-empower you.

Im-Suffering
01-02-2015, 09:44 AM
How can I move forward with a positive attitude?

By the edification that there is no 'us' and 'them'. Or 'I' and 'you'.

There is only 'me' and those portions of myself that manifest my fears.

I have purposefully phrased this post to get you to think. That in itself will naturally raise new questions and open different avenues of thought.

Im-Suffering
01-02-2015, 09:47 AM
I'm currently studying NLP and it is my firm belief that this is by design, to keep you dis-empowered.

Incorrect. Empowerment or lack thereof in your terms, is within the self, not in some foolhearty news program or any outside so called influence. And so advice to you is change the coursework, and the firm belief.

JustaGal
01-02-2015, 09:59 AM
I'm currently studying NLP and it is my firm belief that this is by design, to keep you dis-empowered. You see, when you see negative imagery (which is around 75% of the time) and you feel bad, you automatically weaken yourself by doing so.

I recommend you watch the videos on, 'mind control' and in particular, check out Dr Joe Marshalla. He wonderfully explains about emotions and how they can empower/dis-empower you.

AGREED. From the government to advertising brainwashing. Kids obsessed with certain movies, toys, actors, music bands - are just a small example.

Im-Suffering
01-02-2015, 10:11 AM
With all due respect, ofcourse. The following:

AGREED. From the government to advertising brainwashing. Kids obsessed with certain movies, toys, actors, music bands - are just a small example.

Why would you want to believe that? Because it's true? Your truth(s) are what put you in the predicaments you are in. And so I would examine them before wholeheartily agreeing - to anything.

In those terms, the conscience if allowed would guide you to new understandings and personal growth. You would trust it, rather than the mess of haphazard human experiences. Your private world experiences would be much different

From the OP:

"You see, when you see negative imagery (which is around 75% of the time) and you feel bad"

I am telling you, you don't feel bad from watching the news, you feel bad because you agree with the belief. The belief that your peers are bad keeps you depressed and anxious regardless of the news and long after the television is shut off.

Now, the belief attracts to you the matching experience. And so you must ask, why would I want to believe that, if I know the belief itself will create more of it in my life.

JustaGal
01-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Why would you want to believe that? Because it's true? Your truth(s) are what put you in the predicaments you are in. And so I would examine them before wholeheartily agreeing - to anything.

In those terms, the conscience if allowed would guide you to new understandings and personal growth. You would trust it, rather than the mess of haphazard human experiences. Your private world experiences would be much different

From the OP:

"You see, when you see negative imagery (which is around 75% of the time) and you feel bad"

I am telling you, you don't feel bad from watching the news, you feel bad because you agree with the belief. The belief that your peers are bad keeps you depressed and anxious regardless of the news and long after the television is shut off.

You testing me now?

No test...I just have my opinion.

Im-Suffering
01-02-2015, 10:35 AM
No test...I just have my opinion.

I just finished editing, and added more, for you, please reread.

If something doesn't feel good, anything in your life, today or next year, know it is a belief. (not an opinion, an opinion speaks for the belief and holds no power). Now, since you are meant to feel good, all of the time, then examine what's put before you, consciously. You see.

JustaGal
01-02-2015, 10:42 AM
I just finished editing, and added more, for you, please reread.

If something doesn't feel good, anything in your life, today or next year, know it is a belief. (not an opinion, an opinion speaks for the belief and holds no power). Now, since you are meant to feel good, all of the time, then examine what's put before you, consciously. You see.

Thank you...

Im-Suffering
01-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Let's go a little further, deeper with it:

In this case, this thread, we have an NLP student...Practicing NLP on this forum, you see. (Testing theory in the 'real world' and not just the classroom). The belief presented is distorted in itself, and so the NLP coursework would seem to correspond to some fact of life, when indeed you could simply turn the channel. Turn him/her off.

"If I feel badly, what belief is behind it? Is that belief a fact of life, inherent in nature itself (am I disputing the actions of an atom?), or some possible distorted interpretations"

"If a thought makes me feel bad I must examine the reason. The opposite thought would make me feel good, that's what I'm after"

Some would say:

"But what if I am witness to a crime, I would certainly feel bad then, and so my beliefs are justified"

And I am telling you, you would not have witnessed that crime if your beliefs did not lead you to that place at that time. You create your reality. And so you don't fall prey to brainwashing as our good student would suppose, you believe it is possible, first, attracting yourself to the experience.

That is all.

Kixxi
01-02-2015, 04:04 PM
With all due respect, ofcourse. The following:

From the OP:

Now, the belief attracts to you the matching experience. And so you must ask, why would I want to believe that, if I know the belief itself will create more of it in my life.

I know that what Im-Suffering says sometimes might seem lacking empathy at times (no offense), but I find what he is saying true when it comes to anxiety. Im Suffering probably remembers the arguments he had with the old me :D In this case I agree with the negative news spam as well, but the anxiety side of things I agree with Im suffering. Some of us are really sensitive to these things, including me and negative news might impact our level of anxiety. Sometimes it is better though to not go with it.

For example, I did not go out for years because of fear. I finally saw that if you are no longer afraid of panic attacks and anxiety, they eventually stop existing. I understand that it sounds easier said than done though and it took me a few years to get there :D

Im-Suffering
01-02-2015, 05:10 PM
I know that what Im-Suffering says sometimes might seem lacking empathy at times (no offense), but I find what he is saying true when it comes to anxiety. Im Suffering probably remembers the arguments he had with the old me :D In this case I agree with the negative news spam as well, but the anxiety side of things I agree with Im suffering. Some of us are really sensitive to these things, including me and negative news might impact our level of anxiety. Sometimes it is better though to not go with it.

For example, I did not go out for years because of fear. I finally saw that if you are no longer afraid of panic attacks and anxiety, they eventually stop existing. I understand that it sounds easier said than done though and it took me a few years to get there :D

I was always quite fond of you kixxi. I knew you would 'beat it' eventually.

Tranquil
01-02-2015, 06:30 PM
Hmmm I've read all the posts here. It seems I've created my own world of fear again. I did notice that when I am highly anxious about my world that I cannot even turn the tv on. I don't feel "safe" watching any tv shows at all, let alone the news. I cannot take in even some of my favorite tv shows in the past. In one sense, this is a good thing b/c now I'm spending more time reading and meditating... in another sense, I have lost touch with the world and I find myself even retreating from family members and anywhere I don't feel safe which seems to currently only be my bedroom at the time and mostly only in the evenings. If you see me post during the day, you might actually hear a different type of person posting b/c each day I hope I will awaken and return to normal, yet the world still feels unsafe since early November. IDK I just want to feel normal again all of the time. I don't even listen to music anymore. I can't believe I had quite a few years in there where I felt strong and confident and things didn't bother me. Now I feel clingy and need to stay "safe" - I don't have panic when I go outside but I just feel like the world is a big scary place now. Just like in 2008 when I had a MAJOR life change.

NixonRulz
01-02-2015, 06:45 PM
I.S. Sometimes you post things that make sense

Sometimes my head explodes

My head is exploding now

LOL ; )

Im-Suffering
01-02-2015, 07:58 PM
I.S. Sometimes you post things that make sense

Sometimes my head explodes

My head is exploding now

LOL ; )

This is actually a very important thread, with excellent information and exchanges.

"But what if I am witness to a crime, I would certainly feel bad then, and so my beliefs are justified"

And I am telling you, you would not have witnessed that crime if your beliefs did not lead you to that place at that time. You create your reality. And so you don't fall prey to brainwashing as our good student would suppose, you believe it is possible, first, attracting yourself to the experience

If the belief creates the experience, draws it to you, attracts the necessary components to stage the play. The props, the set, the actors....then this can be life changing information for some people as they begin to believe they have some degree of control, and also a greater responsibility in what is created.

Kixxi
01-05-2015, 06:38 AM
I was always quite fond of you kixxi. I knew you would 'beat it' eventually.

Hihi Thanks :) Well, the insight is there now, it is only a matter of time before I am fearless lol

Im-Suffering
01-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Hihi Thanks :) Well, the insight is there now, it is only a matter of time before I am fearless lol

I believe in you :)

playlablondon
01-07-2015, 05:55 AM
OP I completely understand where you're coming from. The constant repetition of negative news is disheartening, but also very typical of the average news cycle and something we risk becoming desensitized to. I find it useful to try to combat the negativity with positive news instead of maybe avoiding it - there are loads of sites and articles dedicated to spreading good news, and the whole "faith in humanity restored" good feelings :) Obviously not a solution, but something right?

Im-Suffering
01-07-2015, 06:36 AM
Just a brief note on this : (since it relates to many of you)

OP I completely understand where you're coming from. The constant repetition of negative news is disheartening, but also very typical of the average news cycle and something we risk becoming desensitized to. I find it useful to try to combat the negativity with positive news instead of maybe avoiding it - there are loads of sites and articles dedicated to spreading good news, and the whole "faith in humanity restored" good feelings :) Obviously not a solution, but something right?

Feeling good is internal, and has nothing to do with external events. If one feels 'good' as a framework, how they frame their life (beliefs), than their world view would reflect that faithfully. Replacing, or in your terms 'combating' the bad with the good or restoring 'faith in humanity' only reinforces the 'bad' because humanity overall under someone of the light, say, would need no restoration. Man is inherently 'good'. 'Bad' ultimately is the measure of his (feelings of) separation from love (peers, family, even religious beliefs if often distorted). To the degree he is left alone with these thoughts, is the degree he will act out his 'badness' as an effort to restore inner peace and love, period.

And so someone who purposefully spreads the good or watches it as a means of suppressing the bad (or to exaggerate the good), holds the belief "the world is generally bad" and so the fight to keep attention away from the negative, just plants it more firmly.

Most of you do not hold a positive world view, and thus you will not even connect with this post. Anxiety to a large extent has its roots into this issue, not only about how you feel about the self, but your place in the world.

When I say 'you' I do not only mean the person I have quoted, but all of you reading this.

Now, someone who believes the world is good, and its people, has no need for the news at all, period. As such a person goes about his life, he is projecting his beliefs before him. His beliefs precede his footsteps and thus he creates his reality one step at a time. Literally. And that reality will automatically be good, his experience of it. Although he may have 'bad' around him, he will not perceive it, period. He may be edified as to see it as an expression of his peers as they find solutions to their problems. Or a way of ultimately returning to love, or that 'good' state. Now this should make sense to those of you who do believe man as a whole works toward the good. A war in those terms is not for the sake of killing, or an expansion of territories, but symbolic of the inner war the beliefs of a nation come to grips with, as the whole of its people seek ways to return to that state of love. The archetype is always love and the way back to it..