PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Anxiety/Panic impact on health?

dwt77
12-18-2014, 02:08 PM
I've been researching online to try to figure out what the long term physical health consequences may be for those of us who have panic and anxiety disorders. I myself live with it on a daily basis. It ranges from severe to mild, but pretty much not a day goes by that I'm not feeling a general unease. It is like living with the constant feeling in your chest that you are on edge or about to fall off a cliff. So for a person like me who lives with this daily, I'm wondering what the long term health impact may be? I already know that my anxiety spikes my blood pressure levels and I'm on a prescription pill for BP already at 37. I keep reading that anxiety and panic won't kill you and you'll be okay, but I can't help but worry that this is taking a toll on my body to always feel on edge like this. I'm very resistant to medications. I don't like taking anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds unless I have a severe attack in which case I'll take a half of a Ativan. I try to handle it through exercise, eating right, and doing things that help. Anyway I'm just curious if anyone could enlighten me as to what this is doing to my heart and my body in general long term. And I already know anxiety boosts your risks of addictive behaviors and other damaging things like that that I have control over. I'm talking about body stuff- Heart problems, strokes, blood pressure, etc....

Thanks.

anxiety_prison
12-18-2014, 03:58 PM
A very good question. I've dealt with anxiety my whole life (34). It was social anxiety, now health anxiety. I developed pac ( premature atrial contractions) . They scare the crap out of me. Sometimes I'm okay, sometimes they are seldom but then they get worse too. I have constant sensations in my chest, stomach, arm, and breast area. It's gotten worse past few days. Now I get a bad feeling in my chest, I get a dizzy spell and sometimes I feel like I checked out for a second. Instead a warning like things going dark, I just feel passed out for a split second. Idk how to live like this. I'm worried I'll never be myself again, just constantly waiting for something to go wrong. New cardio appt on the 23rd, hoping for not worse news.

dwt77
12-18-2014, 08:04 PM
A very good question. I've dealt with anxiety my whole life (34). It was social anxiety, now health anxiety. I developed pac ( premature atrial contractions) . They scare the crap out of me. Sometimes I'm okay, sometimes they are seldom but then they get worse too. I have constant sensations in my chest, stomach, arm, and breast area. It's gotten worse past few days. Now I get a bad feeling in my chest, I get a dizzy spell and sometimes I feel like I checked out for a second. Instead a warning like things going dark, I just feel passed out for a split second. Idk how to live like this. I'm worried I'll never be myself again, just constantly waiting for something to go wrong. New cardio appt on the 23rd, hoping for not worse news.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Sounds like you're going through a total nightmare! I definitely relate to the feelings of dizziness and the sensations in the chest. I have read that a lot of times the tightness in the chest is because your taking shallow breaths when you panic and this causes the feeling of tightness. Also panic mimics heart attack symptoms. That's what I always try to tell myself when I'm in the depths of a major attack. But I just wonder if all of this stuff happening to my body as a result of my anxiety is adding up and taking a long term toll. I haven't met too many 80 year old anxiety/panic sufferers out there. Granted I haven't really associated with too many 80 year olds to begin with ha! But I certainly would if opportunity presented itself. Any elderly panic sufferers here?

glimmer2525
12-18-2014, 09:02 PM
I have been wondering this myself lately! You sound a lot like me in your way of thinking. I, too, try to take as little medication as I can get away with. I find the same info as well - that anxiety and panic isn't gonna kill ya in the immediate moment, but what about long term? I've also noticed that anxiety appears to be quite prominent in the young to middle age adults and teenagers. Would like more info on this subject, but at the same time, I don't want to scare myself either. A slippery slope.

dwt77
12-18-2014, 10:08 PM
I have been wondering this myself lately! You sound a lot like me in your way of thinking. I, too, try to take as little medication as I can get away with. I find the same info as well - that anxiety and panic isn't gonna kill ya in the immediate moment, but what about long term? I've also noticed that anxiety appears to be quite prominent in the young to middle age adults and teenagers. Would like more info on this subject, but at the same time, I don't want to scare myself either. A slippery slope.

Yeah so true re: slippery slope! One of the primary things that has given me a lot of strength in dealing with panic attacks is all of those websites out there that tell me that panic attacks can't kill you! It would kind of stink to find out that it isn't entirely true. I mean I just can't help but think that the endless feeling of being on the edge is a healthy way to exist. And yes- I totally understand you not wanting to do the meds. I just wonder- How unhealthy is it exactly. I see all kinds of information out there about the links to stress and heart attacks or other problems. But is stress and anxiety the same thing? Are they different things? If so how do those subtle differences change the way the body reacts? A panic attack is pretty darn stressful. Seems like stress on steroids to me. But maybe these are different things. Stress doesn't trigger the fight or flight thing. Stress doesn't make you feel like you have adrenaline coursing through your body. I don't know.... It's hard to find info out there about anxiety and panic specifically and the long term impact it has. Where is that info? Am I just missing something that's really obvious out there?

Xerosnake90
12-18-2014, 10:55 PM
Stress and anxiety may very well be linked. Some people get anxious when they stress. I know I do, so I worked on lowering my stress levels. Im as calm can be most days. Not a worry in the mind and I enjoy life.

Panic attacks are strange sensations for the most part. Your heart pumps tough your entire life. A good quote I read on here from a medical personnel. Your heart could beat 200 Bpm for a couple of weeks straight without taking damage. Those couple of minutes your heart races are dealt with just fine.

PanicCured
12-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Stress and anxiety may very well be linked. Some people get anxious when they stress. I know I do, so I worked on lowering my stress levels. Im as calm can be most days. Not a worry in the mind and I enjoy life.

Panic attacks are strange sensations for the most part. Your heart pumps tough your entire life. A good quote I read on here from a medical personnel. Your heart could beat 200 Bpm for a couple of weeks straight without taking damage. Those couple of minutes your heart races are dealt with just fine.

At the gym or working out at home I get my heart rate to 140-170 beats per minute during sprint type intervals on purpose. This is called health and people go out of their way to do this for heart health.

dwt77
12-19-2014, 12:42 AM

Well that's an encouraging perspective on it for sure. I guess I'd just love to hear a life expectancy for people with panic disorder or anxiety disorders. Or something along those lines. I wonder if this is something that exists? How much do we really know about the impact of panic and anxiety on the body? But yeah thank you for the helpful tips. I guess the main goal then should be to attack stress. I definitely try to eliminate stress as much as possible.

Xerosnake90
12-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Worrying of life expectancy in general reveals to be fruitless. What can you do aside live your life and eat/train to stay healthy?

The thing is that we will simply never know. Let go and do what you're worried about. Live and live happy. Love those you are around. Love the things that you do.

PanicCured
12-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Well that's an encouraging perspective on it for sure. I guess I'd just love to hear a life expectancy for people with panic disorder or anxiety disorders. Or something along those lines. I wonder if this is something that exists? How much do we really know about the impact of panic and anxiety on the body? But yeah thank you for the helpful tips. I guess the main goal then should be to attack stress. I definitely try to eliminate stress as much as possible.

Instead of worrying about life expectancy of those with anxiety why don't you focus on getting rid of the anxiety and getting healthy instead of accepting this is just how you will be forever?

dwt77
12-22-2014, 12:31 AM
Instead of worrying about life expectancy of those with anxiety why don't you focus on getting rid of the anxiety and getting healthy instead of accepting this is just how you will be forever?

I do focus on getting rid of the anxiety daily. I've been involved with therapy for several years, exercise, try to eat right, and have a number of tools to cope with it. Some days are certainly worse than others, but I am very focused on getting rid of it as much as I can with the one exception being I don't use medication. I'm hoping this isn't how it will be forever. But if it is how it is forever I'd like to know the facts about how it impacts our bodies long term. I think it's a valid question.

PanicCured
12-22-2014, 10:38 AM
I do focus on getting rid of the anxiety daily. I've been involved with therapy for several years, exercise, try to eat right, and have a number of tools to cope with it. Some days are certainly worse than others, but I am very focused on getting rid of it as much as I can with the one exception being I don't use medication. I'm hoping this isn't how it will be forever. But if it is how it is forever I'd like to know the facts about how it impacts our bodies long term. I think it's a valid question.

The body can be healed. So are you asking if you have anxiety for your entire life can that impact health or having anxiety then getting better and rid of anxiety, is there long term negative affects on the body? Do you see the difference? It sounds like you are doing a lot to get better so you should be coming out of the darkness at some point. I see no reason why someone trying really hard shouldn't be at least 85% in 9 months to a year. In the stickies above, check out my thread of Techniques where I wrote all the things I did to go from severe anxiety to 100% healed. Maybe you can pick a few things there to add to your regimen.

Good luck!

Chelsea Doak
12-24-2014, 02:04 AM
I was just wondering the same thing these past couple days.... are these pains I'm feeling in my heart going to actually make me have a heart attack? Is it weakening my heart? I've been looking but can't find anything on it that I take too seriously. I work with older people... and there anxiety is crazy to watch it unfold.... anxiety has really been getting the best of me. In high school I was voted biggest kid at heart and most giggley. I still try my hardest to smile and laugh and be a happy me. But when I'm by myself I can let help but to worry and stress my self out about my health.

Ponder
12-24-2014, 03:53 AM
I think it's a good question. To tired to tackle it now though.

Good luck with whatever works for you. Some people get through life differently than others. What works for some may not for others.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ night night.

danielhermanson
12-24-2014, 09:50 AM
That is a very good question. I have never heard of someone to develop a physical disease after long periods of panic attacks and anxiety suffering. There might be a connection between anxiety and some health problems but I am sure that panic attacks and anxiety can not lead to serious heart problems or heart attacks. Our bodies are perfectly able to resist the attacks. To but sure about this I suggest talking with your doctor.

Ponder
12-24-2014, 01:45 PM
OK - Morning Now ... still waking up, but will have a little crack at it.

First off. I like the question, because as a Long term sufferer born into a family with a long history of negative stress ... I've been battling extreme anxiety for almost 46 years to date. LONG TERM it can actually build up a predisposition to ones gene pool. Extreme Anxiety and Depression (chronic negative stress) has been studied on the blood lines of those families that have suffered starvation and also those who have been subject to war atrocities.

It's all online and there are some documentaries on the subject with regard to DNA memory and the transference of whatever from one generation to the next. I even now think of Eckhart Tolle's use of the term "residual pain" in his book The Power of Now. No doubt another context to the problematic issue that the conscious mind of humans present.

That's my take on the predisposition that can come from Long Term Negative Stress -

From that comes a host of medical illnesses - more than I can name.

For me:

The predisposition branches out into:

Addictions - Various Compulsive Disorders - struggle with Selective Focus (ADHD) [concentration span] - Inability to switch off - Aggression - Rage - Depression - Alienation - Social phobia - and on and on ...

Manifest into:

Low Immune System
Obesity:
Gall Bladder disease
Kidney problems
Acid Reflux - HUGE ONE!!!
Oesophagitis (can become cancerous)
Nervous Ticks

The inability to switch off for some can lead to issues relating to joints - over taxing body organs (almost died from a sever case of rhabdomyolysis - because I could not stop exercising and was unable to rest)

I could Never Hold Down A Job!!!!!
I don't function well (if at all) in Society
Frequent Suicidal Tendencies
I attract negativity like that plague
Constant ridicule from Society ( Peer Stigma - Penalization/Chastisement)

Everyone's Barrel is not the same, however much of it works on the same principle of the fallible human consciousness.
__________________________________________________ ____________

I am sure I could go on ...

The thing I note about asking the question here and why it means a lot to me ... is that through understanding the process of what Anxiety really is --- is how I best come to control it. IMO there is NO CURE, however appreciate how others may come to such a view having overcome whatever aspect that once used to control their lives.

Absolutely! -> IMO as a long term sufferer ... Long Term Sufferers will experience a significant impact on their health over time. It's hard enough to Live and Die - to experience this life in the best of circumstances, however understanding how Long Term Negative Stress impacts my health has helped me to stay alive and in some cases be all the better for it.

NOW _ There is some good news ... There Are many strengths that can come from having suffered long term negative stress that help those individuals thrive in all that they do. That is another subject and one I don't have time for just yet.

It's all on the complicated wide world web. :)

Here is just a few links that may or may not be relevant:

http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=15647

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/#.VJsaFl4AKA

Please excuse my grammar - have to rush off now ... Christmas traffic and all that. Wish me luck at today's lunch. I could us it. :)

Disclaimer ... The above is just my opinion ... I claim to know nothing other than just living and learning as best I can from whatever position.

Have a good day and or evening.

Ambition
12-26-2014, 07:41 AM
Some believe there is a connection between stress/ anxiety and cancer. Anxiety also weakens the immune system making some sufferers more susceptible to infections.
If you have agoraphobia then not going out means your immune system is not being exposed to enough germs and will get weaker meaning that when you do go out you could be overwhelmed by all the germs out there.

Anxiety upsets the stomach causing indigestion, heartburn etc which increases risk of stomach and oesophageal cancer.

Ponder
12-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Yep, sounds very plausible to me. You don't have to mingle with the crowds to find a bit soil and sand. I'ts been a battle for me to go out, yet it's on my must do list with regards to health. I just avoid the people ... they tend to be the ones that spread sickness on all kinds of levels. I get plenty of bacteria from nature ... whats left of it and or I can find of it. Most places devoid of people usually have a keep out sign or something or other like that.

In crowded spaces I look for the lass traveled path before taking a seat. I avoid using public toilets, touching objects that are handled so often and so on ... In fact, your more at risk going out and mingling like so than staying at home ... if you want a good immune system, your better off getting up and simply exposing yourself to some "fresh"air ... sunlight ... getting some soils and sand on yourself ... walking barefoot in the right spots and so on ... much much healthier than simply going to a mall or socializing in some over populated mall, eatery, or whatever one thinks of the outside to me.

Parks are not so bad for urban places - Loved going at late at night in the parks when living in the sprawls they call large towns or cities ... the air is less toxic at certain times ... elevated areas of town making the better places with parks and so on ... Go walk in the richer areas of town ... usually less toxic as well.

Yep - One can still stay perfectly Isolated and content outside their door if one tries hard enough ... however it takes time to get to such a place within oneself. That's been my comeback plan at least. Outdoors is indeed healthier than sitting inside all day ... but imo - mingling so close with so many is actually unhealthy for me ... I know it is ... scientifically so - and something my body lets me know. ;)