PDA

View Full Version : I see some new faces, let's discuss anxiety

Xerosnake90
12-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi everyone. I've been seeing some new faces around. I myself was a big anxiety sufferer and have moved on from it, I try to offer my services where ever possible. So I wanted to go over some points really quick that may help out some of you.

Why you get symptoms and pains: anxiety is a tense state of mind caused by the idea that you are in danger. By thinking of things that seem detrimental you are alerting your system to respond to it. Sometimes these thoughts make our brains believe we are in danger and it reacts. Essentially your nervous system goes haywire, fight or flight kicks in and you get symptoms. What kind of symptoms? Blurry vision, tight chest, heart palpitations. What have you, there is so much to list. These things happen because your nerves are activated and muscles prepare to fight or flight. All can be explained a bit more thoroughly so if you have concerns then ask here. I'll do my best to explain the sensation and why it's there.

That aside, anxiety is thought driven. Negative thoughts, because no one ever suffered a feared heart attack from a smile. You must stop thinking in the downward direction you do and move forward and away from the thoughts or habits that create your anxiety. Don't think what if, think what can I do instead. I had to make this quick, back to work I go but please discuss. Help yourself understand your anxiety and let's get to beating it. Take care all :)

glimmer2525
12-10-2014, 07:33 PM
I've always suffered with anxiety but it's been really kicked into overdrive this past year, especially these past couple of weeks. I'm a female in my mid-twenties, and last year I had my first full blown panic attack. Almost 2 weeks ago I ended up with one so bad I ended up in the ER. Now ever since that night 2 weeks ago, my body has tried to stay in panic mode every day. I know a lot of it is because of my own negative thoughts and fears. Like anyone who suffers from panic will tell you, it feels like you're dying. I also suffer with health anxiety, so I'm always in fear that I'm going to have a heart attack or my throat is going to close up, or that I'm just going to completely lose it. I used to exercise on a regular basis and was in awesome shape. Now I'm scared as hell to do any kind of exercise (though everyone insists it will work to my advantage right now) because exercise mimics panic with the whole heavy breathing and accelerated heart rate. I feel like I've become disabled or something! :(

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I will check out your links :)

Xerosnake90
12-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Exercise produces a variety of reactions in your body. As well as being a huge release of the energy that drives anxiety symptoms. The muscles will relax, as your mind will along with your muscles. I suggest exercise to anyone, especially those with anxiety. Your image will build back up. You fear driven thoughts cease and you forgot the ideas that have plagued you.

Recognition is key here. Look at the root of the problem. Why you think the way you do. Afterwards adjust that thought with a more positive one. Rinse and repeat, eventually your mind stays happy. It takes a little while but it's possible.

You'll only be as healthy as you believe you are. The past doesn't exist and neither does the future. Why worry of something that could happen? You're basically worrying about a dream scenario. Ever take the moment to realize what actually happens in life is totally different from how you imagine it up to be? You begin to believe your thoughts. If negativity takes over you get an anxious condition. That's a how you dream up being unhealthy with no proof towards it. Symptoms are linked to your nervous system being twitchy. They can all be explained.

Eat healthy, exercise and make and effort to be the way you want to be. That is how life carries forward.

Ins0mniac
12-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Did you also have extreme insomnia? I'm only able to get 2-5 hours of sleep after laying in bed for 6-8 hours... I'm not taking any type of medications and not too interested in them, but getting fairly desperate atm.

Although my panic attacks, heart palpitations, chest pains, depersonalization and other anxiety symptoms allmost completely dissapeared. I'm just curious why my insomnia is still here. My anxiety, depersonalization and insomnia all started simultaneously after a panic attack 3 weeks ago.

Thanks.

Im-Suffering
12-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Did you also have extreme insomnia? I'm only able to get 2-5 hours of sleep after laying in bed for 6-8 hours... I'm not taking any type of medications and not too interested in them, but getting fairly desperate atm.

Although my panic attacks, heart palpitations, chest pains, depersonalization and other anxiety symptoms allmost completely dissapeared. I'm just curious why my insomnia is still here. My anxiety, depersonalization and insomnia all started simultaneously after a panic attack 3 weeks ago.

Thanks.

From some of your posts (fixed and typographical emphasis added):

"I've gained alot weight over my 'student life' 4 year period at University. I was constantly stressed, and used 'food' as a way to make me 'feel better'. I've messed up my "biological sleep-clock", because of the random hours of classes (sometimes at 6:00, sometimes at 20:00,...). I usually tried to 'nap' in between classes in order to feel more 'energized'. I guess I just burned out completely (perceived failure. Who expects or demands so much from you? Let's guess...). After classes I would often play competitive video-games, in the hope of reducing stress, but it just increased stress for me. Anyways I took a year off from University, in order to solve my 'mental' problems (one of which, the fear of criticism) in the hope that I would be able to finish my courses after a year of rest (false belief). After that I've gotten addicted to gaming (avoidance), felt it was getting harder and harder to fall asleep, became completely depressed (powerless),... untill I've had a panic attack and got all these "Anxiety/Depersonalization/Insomnia/..." problems to deal with now.

Only thing that would make me 'happy' used to be sleep, now I don't have that anymore. Getting enough sleep has become the most stressful problem I've ever had to deal with" (inner demons - the "fight") just like a video game, isn't it?

"The beast" is quite personal, see? Should you ignore or garner enough courage to face some fears (through medical testing, or sheer will) then HE will attack a vulnerability that you cannot seem to fend off. In your case, sleep.

What will you do against this vile creatures advances? You simply must stay up, on guard...in the dark.

Who's voice is this beast? "You can't do it" "your not good enough" "I'll never live up to you...(insert parent or influential guardian/caregiver)"

jjm2894
12-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the post Xero. I agree with everything you've said.

Unfortunately, sometimes it's not as easy as rationalizing my way out of my anxiety. I can sit here and tell myself "This is just your hypochondria, you don't have cancer, a doctor just told you you're fine, etc." and still the anxiety seems unbeatable. I've heard some people on this forum say that it's best to observe the anxiety for what it is and let it pass naturally as you would a cold.

I'm curious, has anyone here dealt with lymph node issues/concerns? I've asked this question in a couple other threads, so apologies for the overlap for those of you in those threads. I have a couple swollen lymph nodes that are freaking me out right now, and I guess I'm curious to know if anxiety can have anything to do with that? Even if not, I know there are about a million reasons for swollen lymph nodes that aren't horrible diseases.

Thanks for the help guys.

Im-Suffering
12-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the post Xero. I agree with everything you've said.

Unfortunately, sometimes it's not as easy as rationalizing my way out of my anxiety. I can sit here and tell myself "This is just your hypochondria, you don't have cancer, a doctor just told you you're fine, etc." and still the anxiety seems unbeatable. I've heard some people on this forum say that it's best to observe the anxiety for what it is and let it pass naturally as you would a cold.

I'm curious, has anyone here dealt with lymph node issues/concerns? I've asked this question in a couple other threads, so apologies for the overlap for those of you in those threads. I have a couple swollen lymph nodes that are freaking me out right now, and I guess I'm curious to know if anxiety can have anything to do with that? Even if not, I know there are about a million reasons for swollen lymph nodes that aren't horrible diseases.

Thanks for the help guys.

The glands are not the problem. And I've been using metaphors this morning. Sit back and think !

It's not easy to tell yourself "it's ok" because the belief behind all of it is powerful.. "the beast" you see.

Anyhow that's enough for this morning

Xerosnake90
12-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Lymph nodes are tricky because they can vary in size. A swollen lymph node will usually be large and protruding. Quite noticeable. At the onset of my anxiety I noticed my lymph nodes and kept a worrisome eye on them. It was only a matter of time before I realize that's just how they are for me. I have a couple I can feel. Understand that they can swell from touching them too much as well.

As I'm suffering says. Lymph nodes aren't the problem when it comes to such a thing. The irrational fear that something could be wrong is. I remember one day eating lunch and I noticed my finger was blue. I immediately had this panicky sinking feel. I realized I had only got ink on me but in my mind it was something horrible. It's funny now because I think to myself why would such a thing cause panic so suddenly?

Anxiety comes off in layers. It takes a few months but when. You're on the right path it keeps on going away :) stick with it