PDA

View Full Version : Concerns: Change in Appetite

jjm2894
12-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Hey gang,

I feel myself on the precipice of a major anxiety meltdown, and am doing anything I can to dig in my heels and reason my way out of it before it goes into full swing. That's why I'm writing here.

First, let me state straight-up that I've been in a heightened state of anxiety these past three or four weeks. One week I was unbearably nervous about flying for Thanksgiving. The next week I was sure I had appendicitis. Last week, a hip bruise convinced me I had cancer.

This week I'm honing in on some appetite changes I've noticed lately. For the past three weeks (maybe more), I just really haven't been hungry. I've been eating three meals a day, but I have been doing something small for lunch because I just don't have a big appetite anymore. Eating has felt like going through the motions more than anything.

It's worth mentioning that I don't see a change in my habits that could bring about this loss of appetite... which is probably why I'm so concerned. No new medications, no real change in exercise levels, I'm sleeping fine. The only thing that's slightly different is that for the past three months or so, I've been eating breakfast with a big cup of coffee every morning, without fail. This is entirely new for me—I used to eat breakfast rarely, if at all. But the changes in my appetite have only been going on (noticeably) for three, maybe four weeks. The breakfast thing has been going on for three months or more.

I'm also 23, nearly 24. I'm pretty much done growing, and maybe my metabolism is just slowing down. I sure hope so.

I do have the benefit of self-awareness: I realize I've been in a heightened state of paranoia the past month or so, so I'm trying to keep that in mind as I attempt to fend off this current fear. It's just that I've seen "loss of appetite" as a symptom of so many awful diseases that I'm now hypersensitive to it. Nothing else going on with me that I would call a second "symptom."

Any advice, suggestions, logic that anyone can provide on this subject?

Im-Suffering
12-08-2014, 12:25 PM
I feel myself on the precipice of a major anxiety meltdown. - Makes sense considering the past month.

First, let me state straight-up that I've been in a heightened state of anxiety these past three or four weeks. One week I was unbearably nervous about flying for Thanksgiving. The next week I was sure I had appendicitis. Last week, a hip bruise convinced me I had cancer.

This week I'm honing in on some appetite changes I've noticed lately. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Allow it to happen (in your terms the major meltdown), and ironically enough it won't. If it does see it through with patience and relaxation (acceptance). Considering the past month (building tension) what you feel is quite justified. Be kind to you.

Changes in appetite also normal given the stresses of the previous month.

aml0017
12-10-2014, 01:50 PM
It is not uncommon to have a loss of appetite with anxiety, I've been having anxiety for the last three weeks and I do have decreased appetite. It really is just the tension that leads to nervous stomach. It just makes you have no real desire to eat. Sometimes, especially early in the morning, i can't eat at all. I do drink coffee though. I do find it is easier to ingest warm things like soup, coffee, tea instead of a cold bowl of cereal or a ham sandwich. Maybe that has something to do with it.

As long as you are still eating enough to get through the day without feeling weak and can still exercise then try not to let this add to your anxiety. It is simply a side effect of your anxious state, not something else to worry about. Once your anxiety lifts, your appetite will return.

Since you are only 24 I don't know how long you have been dealing with anxiety, is this your first episode or have you dealt with it since your teens like most? I have dealt with this for almost 20 years now and I do know at the beginning it is the perception that the anxiety itself is harmful that causes the most anxiety. I agree with im-suffering, you need to accept that the anxiety is happening at the moment, you can't wish it away. Realize your thoughts are just thoughts and cannot harm you. This too shall pass (it will I promise!). I am at the point where I no longer fear the anxiety itself (even though it still sucks), but I can approach the anxiety as a physical illness that I need to wait out like a cold or something.

jjm2894
12-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm still in and out of having anxiety over my stomach. At this point, my appetite has returned—if not to 100%, then at least to about 75%. But I still have this weird discomfort in my stomach. It's somewhat intermittent but when I start to feel it, my anxiety kicks back in. When I feel my stomach with my hand, I've noticed what I think are a couple swollen (or semi-swollen) lymph nodes, which greatly adds to my concern.

I'm willing to believe that the stomach pain is associated with the anxiety and appetite issues i've been having lately, but the weird-feeling lymph nodes are making it hard for me to write it off. Has anyone dealt with perceived swollen lymph nodes, stomach pain, or anything like it? Thanks.

Im-Suffering
12-11-2014, 08:44 AM

I'm also 23, nearly 24.

I do have the benefit of self-awareness

Has anyone dealt with perceived swollen lymph nodes

Do you...?

Awareness would take you within, for answers, all-ways.

Afraid to face mental issues, result in scary physical symptoms. You will acquiesce to fear, one way or another. You cannot run. IT is too fit, and fast. Running from IT will only enforce its resolve.

Even at 23 you don't have ITS stamina.

What can you do to defend against IT?

jjm2894
12-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks, Im-Suffering. So are you telling me I should face my fear? How do you recommend I do that?

Thanks for all your help.

Im-Suffering
12-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Thanks, Im-Suffering. So are you telling me I should face my fear? How do you recommend I do that?

Thanks for all your help.

The fear is insidious as it disguises itself as physical problems and symptoms to throw you off its scent.

You are to STOP. Turn and face the beast. With the sword of decision, the shield of determination, and the armor of acceptance.

If ITS intention is to kill you then you let it. Or demand it show its true face !

Who is this voice in your head, who is this vile creature, this beast that would tear you apart should you stop running?

Give a face to the fear.

Who's love do you covet? What is this separation you feel? Allow the fear to speak, and show its face..and you will know what to do. Feel. And allow any emotions to surface..don't be afraid.