PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with me

Cyquel
12-08-2014, 05:27 AM
Just throwing this out there to see if anyone has any ideas.
I need help. I've just finished the semester at uni and I had a panic attack in the final exam. I was able to calm myself down but i couldn't wright anything. The only help my uni could give me was an extra hour which didn't help.
I've had this problem forever, always called it writers block, but more permenant. I had so many psychs over the years give me different diagnosies (Anxiety/depression/ADD/Aspergers/Dislexia) but no one had been able to help me.

I've been trying for ages to even describe what happens, and i still really can't. But here's what we've got so far.

I have dificulty moving thoughts to words and back. So I often have something I want to say/write but not be able to.
I get some type of freezing which is unrelated to anxiety. Like my brain just stops and i can't start thinking about what i want to concentrate on.
SOMETIMES the freezing is helped from an outside source or que like a multiple choice. Some one will ask me a question and i can't think of the answer (even if i know it well) then they ask if it's A or B and then i can answer.

It's not like my memory is bad, and people keep saying i'm not stupid or anything. In one of my evaluations/IQ tests I got asked a simple maths problem, which i couldn't answer despite being in college level maths and having written out the times tables 100 times that semester. Directly after that I had an excercise where he would give me a series of numbers and i had to repeat it back to him in order from lowest to highest. I got up to 16 digits. I can get higher now.

Apparently I study way too much, and inefectivly. At the moment all I can do is read the text over and over and answer the practice questions (as long as they're maths/physics/chemistry short answer). I can't take notes or answer long answer questions unless i have the text book next to me.

Also this isn't just affecting my studies. I have trouble talking to people, I can't find a job, and there's a number of every day life skills which I find impossible. I mean, I COULD figure it out quite easily, but because I have this block I can't even start. I feel like if I were someone else then i could have a shot at things.

I've spoken to my uni councilor who is the first person to finally agree that the freezing is not caused by my anxiety, but am anxious because I often freeze up. And that maybe there's something physical in my brain thats causing this. She's refered me to go have a complete neuropsych evaluation done. Thats not for a few months though.

gypsylee
12-08-2014, 06:40 AM
Just throwing this out there to see if anyone has any ideas.
I need help. I've just finished the semester at uni and I had a panic attack in the final exam. I was able to calm myself down but i couldn't wright anything. The only help my uni could give me was an extra hour which didn't help.
I've had this problem forever, always called it writers block, but more permenant. I had so many psychs over the years give me different diagnosies (Anxiety/depression/ADD/Aspergers/Dislexia) but no one had been able to help me.

I've been trying for ages to even describe what happens, and i still really can't. But here's what we've got so far.

I have dificulty moving thoughts to words and back. So I often have something I want to say/write but not be able to.
I get some type of freezing which is unrelated to anxiety. Like my brain just stops and i can't start thinking about what i want to concentrate on.
SOMETIMES the freezing is helped from an outside source or que like a multiple choice. Some one will ask me a question and i can't think of the answer (even if i know it well) then they ask if it's A or B and then i can answer. an outside source or que like a multiple choice. Some one will ask me a question and i can't think of the answer (even if i know it well) then they ask if it's A or B and then i can answer.

It's not like my memory is bad, and people keep saying i'm not stupid or anything. In one of my evaluations/IQ tests I got asked a simple maths problem, which i couldn't answer despite being in college level maths and having written out the times tables 100 times that semester. Directly after that I had an excercise where he would give me a series of numbers and i had to repeat it back to him in order from lowest to highest. I got up to 16 digits. I can get higher now.

Apparently I study way too much, and inefectivly. At the moment all I can do is read the text over and over and answer the practice questions (as long as they're maths/physics/chemistry short answer). I can't take notes or answer long answer questions unless i have the text book next to me.

Also this isn't just affecting my studies. I have trouble talking to people, I can't find a job, and there's a number of every day life skills which I find impossible. I mean, I COULD figure it out quite easily, but because I have this block I can't even start. I feel like if I were someone else then i could have a shot at things.

I've spoken to my uni councilor who is the first person to finally agree that the freezing is not caused by my anxiety, but am anxious because I often freeze up. And that maybe there's something physical in my brain thats causing this. She's refered me to go have a complete neuropsych evaluation done. Thats not for a few months though.

This evaluation sounds like a very good idea because what you describe - how you can't put thoughts into words - is exactly what my friend who has had a stroke gets. I don't know much at all about strokes but I think you can have them without knowing ie. you don't necessarily have the physical symptoms. Perhaps this has happened to you?

I had extreme anxiety during my exams and still managed to do well, so I think you're right that the "freezing" causes the anxiety rather than vice versa.

I hope you get some answers.. This sounds very distressing.

All the best to you,
Gypsy :)

Im-Suffering
12-08-2014, 06:47 AM
Just throwing this out there to see if anyone has any ideas. - BELIEVE

I need help. Then you shall have it.

Advocate

"A person who argues for the cause of himself. And fights through his challenges and illusive struggles."

You've got to believe. I tell you to believe in magic. Where others search for illness in you, and you yourself question your abilities. When the world is falling from under your feet, and you feel desparate, alone, and afraid....

Reach down into your bag of tricks, and pull out faith the size of a mustard seed. Look at that mountain before you and tell it to move.

When the world would tell you to go one way...And you feel inside your going the other...

Believe, believe, believe in miracles. Anything, and everything is possible. For anyone.

No exceptions.

Im-Suffering
12-08-2014, 06:51 AM
This evaluation sounds like a very good idea because what you describe - how you can't put thoughts into words - is exactly what my friend who has had a stroke gets. I don't know much at all about strokes but I think you can have them without knowing ie. you don't necessarily have the physical symptoms. Perhaps this has happened to you?

I had extreme anxiety during my exams and still managed to do well, so I think you're right that the "freezing" causes the anxiety rather than vice versa.

I hope you get some answers.. This sounds very distressing.

All the best to you,
Gypsy :)

Any form of disability or the effects of a stroke can be overcome to a degree (of faith) by belief.

That is the only trick in the humans magic hat.

When all else fails, in concrete terms.

If one would only believe, then others would believe in him, and the oceans would part..for such a man.

Ask Walt Disney. I did.

There is a lesson here, for our young OP. Rather than placing more limitations on the self, I'd rather he removes them.

And I am not telling him to avoid medical examinations. Whatever the determination may be, to not let it get the best of him.

gypsylee
12-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Any form of disability or the effects of a stroke can be overcome to a degree (of faith) by belief.

That is the only trick in the humans magic hat.

When all else fails, in concrete terms.

If one would only believe, then others would believe in him, and the oceans would part..for such a man.

Ask Walt Disney. I did.

There is a lesson here, for our young OP. Rather than placing more limitations on the self, I'd rather he removes them.

And I am not telling him to avoid medical examinations. Whatever the determination may be, to not let it get the best of him.

Well if this "freezing" thing happened to me I'd want to know what on earth is going on in there :) What the OP said about not being able to put thoughts into words is exactly what my friend with the stroke said. I even showed my friend what the OP wrote and asked if that is what happens to him (waiting on reply). It's a scary thing to think maybe one has had a stroke, but I couldn't not make the connection. If he knows what is causing it then he can work with it (sorry to talk about you in third person like this OP!)

What do you mean about Walt Disney, Im-Suffering?

Anyway, I get what you're saying but I think knowledge is power :)

Im-Suffering
12-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Well if this "freezing" thing happened to me I'd want to know what on earth is going on in there :) What the OP said about not being able to put thoughts into words is exactly what my friend with the stroke said. I even showed my friend what the OP wrote and asked if that is what happens to him (waiting on reply). It's a scary thing to think maybe one has had a stroke, but I couldn't not make the connection.

I know, I do.

I don't have time to channel this. It's looonnngg. It wouldn't matter here or I may have. Maybe for your friend, but that's for another time.

When words arent there you have feelings. Communication is not thus limited, and again..things aren't always as they seem. Feelings convey thought in chunks, as a whole (complete ideas) and in a sense, they convey 'inner' truth..accurrateely.... . . . . . . ....There are thoughts in those dots. And the empty spaces that define them.

A musical composition that sweeps you away and you feeelll the emotions..the story conveyed by the composer..moves you..

Communication requires no physical brain. (In the case of severe stroke the damaged organ) words however need a t.i.m.e. sequence to be effective, which is a brain function.

In the case of the OP he simply forgot how to communicate........unsure of himself.