PDA

View Full Version : I'm not good at anything!

ovenbakedbread
12-07-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm currently feeling really overwhelmed from my own thoughts. I'm a 17 year old girl who is not talented at anything :) I can't play an instrument, I can't dance, play a sport, sing, draw, or any of that crap. For YEARS I've been attempting to try new things. Attempt, as in convince my mother to let me try those things and actually stick with it. Here's another thing: I'm a person who gets discouraged extremely fast. I give up on things a lot because I'm not good at them right away. I've tried guitar lessons and didn't like them because my guitar was cheap and I wasn't willing to practice. I've taken piano lessons and actually enjoyed them, it's just actually having my lesson gave me anxiety because my instructor came over to my house and I hate talking to people let alone play an instrument in front of them. I want to take dance classes because it seems fun and I need the exercise. But it seems like none of my friends are very interested in doing it with me and there's no way I'm going to a dance class alone. But there are so many things I want to try but I feel like I don't have enough time or that I won't be good at it and I'm just so stressed out thinking about it! It's like, I want to do something but I don't at the same time because I'm afraid I'll give up on it and disappoint myself. I just feel really stupid and immature right now but it seems like I just can't commit to anything. Ugh I hate myself. What do I do?

gypsylee
12-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Well then, it's not that you aren't good at anything, you just expect to be good at things straight away :) Sure, there are some people who are "gifted" at certain things and can just be great as soon as they start, but they are the vast minority. Most people have to work at things. You're still very young so just think - if you start something now and persevere, you will be very good by the time you are 30 or whatever.

All the best,
Gypsy x

danielhermanson
12-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Everybody is good at something, maybe you haven't found your ability yet and this is because you are not very patient and persevering. Find something that you really like, go and do it for a longer time, as much time you need to get good at it. Try and fight against your thoughts of quitting because if you quit before getting better at something, your anxiety will become higher.

You are young and have your whole life ahead of you, don't worry you have a lot of time to do the things you enjoy the most. Remember not to try and do something just because many people are doing it, instead do the things you like no matter if your friends doesn't support or come with you.

Take care!

PanicCured
12-08-2014, 07:48 PM
If you only knew how young you were and how much ahead of you that you have. Most people that are good at something put a lot of work into getting there. I think your generation has less patience and wants things to come easy. Actually, learning is part of the fun. I have been playing guitar since I was 8 and I still need to practice and improve. Even Eric Clapton said he is not done learning. Learning a language can take years even. A very successful businessman once told me, "The only thing in life that works is work!". But you can enjoy the journey.

NixonRulz
12-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Please
I'm currently feeling really overwhelmed from my own thoughts. I'm a 17 year old girl who is not talented at anything :) I can't play an instrument, I can't dance, play a sport, sing, draw, or any of that crap. For YEARS I've been attempting to try new things. Attempt, as in convince my mother to let me try those things and actually stick with it. Here's another thing: I'm a person who gets discouraged extremely fast. I give up on things a lot because I'm not good at them right away. I've tried guitar lessons and didn't like them because my guitar was cheap and I wasn't willing to practice. I've taken piano lessons and actually enjoyed them, it's just actually having my lesson gave me anxiety because my instructor came over to my house and I hate talking to people let alone play an instrument in front of them. I want to take dance classes because it seems fun and I need the exercise. But it seems like none of my friends are very interested in doing it with me and there's no way I'm going to a dance class alone. But there are so many things I want to try but I feel like I don't have enough time or that I won't be good at it and I'm just so stressed out thinking about it! It's like, I want to do something but I don't at the same time because I'm afraid I'll give up on it and disappoint myself. I just feel really stupid and immature right now but it seems like I just can't commit to anything. Ugh I hate myself. What do I do?

at 17, I get it. Easy to be discouraged. It is such a tough age when you are trying to find your way.

But you shall find your way and find millions of things you are great at. Actually, that is the beauty of it. Finding out what you do well and others that you need to work a bit on.

Don't be discouraged. Be grateful that you have a passion in you to be great.

Fast forward 6 years - you WILL be great at so many things

This is just a first step at success.