PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety in a high stress job/career

intentus18
07-16-2008, 10:11 PM
I did this poll because I wanted to know is it possible to have a high stress job and still be able to manage anxiety. I know it not would be a practical thing to do but despite my anxiety issues I still have not dismiss the idea of going to medical school. Besides, I am sure that there are plenty of doctors out there who suffer from anxiety and depression that develop when they became doctors... Is it possible for them to managed it while still living a productive life?

sarrah
07-17-2008, 09:27 AM
I work in a very high stress world and while it is tough sometimes I have found that the constint influx of work helps me keep my mind of my symptoms.

intentus18
07-17-2008, 06:34 PM
So there's hope :)

pscottmorgan
07-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Touch wood, I have cured my anxiety attacks.

Once I realised that it's my mind complicating the physical sensations I was having, creating a catch 22 situation it was a matter of distraction. In the end I used to encourage them to happen. By accepting and embracing the panic I lost the fear asociated with it, and fear is the fuel that powers panic attacks.

If you intend to be a Doctor in the NHS, I doubt you'd have time to wipe your arse, much less have time to worry about having an attack!

In fact, being in a medical establishment may help your anxiety. (Mine was health related - thought I was having coronary problems).

Go for it! The worst that could happen is that you find out it's not for you. If you don't do it, you could regret it for the rest of your life. In the words of Susan Jeffers, "feel the fear, and do it anyway".