PDA

View Full Version : My panic won't stop..

glimmer2525
12-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Hello everyone :). I'm new here, and I don't quite know where to begin. I just know that right now I'm going through one of the hardest things I've ever had to endure. I literally feel like I'm crippled, like my quality of life is diminishing day by day. I'm a female, in my mid twenties. I'm supposed to be vibrant and happy, but right now I am struggling.

About 14 months ago, I had my first panic attack. It was the scariest moment of my life. I was convinced that I was dying. Luckily, my mother was near me. She helped distinguish what the problem was (anxiety runs in the family), but I had her convinced to call an ambulance, because I was certain my heart was just going to explode. She was about to do so, but by some miracle it had passed and my heart rate was returning to normal. I thought the nightmare was over, but I was wrong.

I visited the ER after a brutal attack hit me at work a few months later. I was diagnosed with anxiety. Over the past year, I've had one anxiety attack after another. I've had several EKG's that check out normal every time. Blood work showed that I have a low thyroid function. I had gone on thyroid medication but it made me feel worse. So I stopped taking it on my own (I know, that's a big no-no, and currently I'm on a different medication.. but its too soon to tell if its going to make things better). IN ANY EVENT -- I'll get to the point....

This past weekend I ended up in the ER again, only this time, it was the most agonizing panic attack I've had to date. I went totally numb, hands and feet pouring sweat, heart racing, dizzy, feeling faint. I went through it all. The hospital I went to obviously thought I was trying to seek drugs or attention or something, because it seemed I was treated as least priority. I spent hours in the waiting room, certain that I was dying, only to have person after person called in before me. People who were carrying on conversations just fine in the waiting area, kids who could still run and scream, all being called in before me. It was truly a hell on earth kind of evening. Once I finally got called back, the doctor ordered for me to have a shot of Ativan. Blood work and urine tests and EKG all came out clean. Once again, I was told it was just a bad anxiety attack and to follow up with my regular doc in a few days.

At the follow-up appointment, my doc told me he was fairly convinced that my thyroid issue is what is causing most of the attacks, and that if we could get my thyroid levels in check, I should feel immense relief from panic. But ever since my last ER visit a few days ago, I can't get a grip. I've had several panic attacks since then. I've cried my eyes out to my family and boyfriend because I am so scared. My doctor gave me the week off work and I'm thinking I'm going to quit work all together for now because I am breaking down (at least it feels that way) and my health is my number one priority right now. I'm just so frightened. It doesn't help that I'm also highly phobic of medications and scared that anything I may take is just going to kill me out. Its like I'm scared that I'm going to have a dangerous reaction to any medication, and that only makes the panic worse. My body has been in constant "fight mode" these past few days. I feel so tired, sickly, and weak. I'm trying to eat healthily to regain some strength but it's like one step forward and two steps back. The attacks just keep coming.

Earlier today I had an attack and took 5mg of Buspar. Buspar is the only anxiety med that doesn't knock me completely out (another thing that frightens me about other medications).

I'm just so completely overwhelmed!! I don't know where else to turn. I've contemplated making an appointment and traveling 2 hours away to an alternative doctor to see if she can find some other way to help. I'm also considering talk therapy. I just don't know where to begin, where to find real relief before I completely break down. Earlier today I was actually telling myself that I need to come to terms with the fact that something is very wrong with me. I don't want my life to become that! I want to get better, I can't keep feeling like I'm on the verge of death all the time :(

Advice anyone? Please? :(

gypsylee
12-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Hi there,

I'm sitting here waiting for my doctor so I can't write a proper reply atm but I read your post and will get back to you.

Hang in there! There are things you can do to help yourself that don't involve medication :)

Cheers,
Gypsy x

gypsylee
12-04-2014, 06:19 AM
Hello everyone :). I'm new here, and I don't quite know where to begin. I just know that right now I'm going through one of the hardest things I've ever had to endure. I literally feel like I'm crippled, like my quality of life is diminishing day by day. I'm a female, in my mid twenties. I'm supposed to be vibrant and happy, but right now I am struggling.

About 14 months ago, I had my first panic attack. It was the scariest moment of my life. I was convinced that I was dying. Luckily, my mother was near me. She helped distinguish what the problem was (anxiety runs in the family), but I had her convinced to call an ambulance, because I was certain my heart was just going to explode. She was about to do so, but by some miracle it had passed and my heart rate was returning to normal. I thought the nightmare was over, but I was wrong.

I visited the ER after a brutal attack hit me at work a few months later. I was diagnosed with anxiety. Over the past year, I've had one anxiety attack after another. I've had several EKG's that check out normal every time. Blood work showed that I have a low thyroid function. I had gone on thyroid medication but it made me feel worse. So I stopped taking it on my own (I know, that's a big no-no, and currently I'm on a different medication.. but its too soon to tell if its going to make things better). IN ANY EVENT -- I'll get to the point....

This past weekend I ended up in the ER again, only this time, it was the most agonizing panic attack I've had to date. I went totally numb, hands and feet pouring sweat, heart racing, dizzy, feeling faint. I went through it all. The hospital I went to obviously thought I was trying to seek drugs or attention or something, because it seemed I was treated as least priority. I spent hours in the waiting room, certain that I was dying, only to have person after person called in before me. People who were carrying on conversations just fine in the waiting area, kids who could still run and scream, all being called in before me. It was truly a hell on earth kind of evening. Once I finally got called back, the doctor ordered for me to have a shot of Ativan. Blood work and urine tests and EKG all came out clean. Once again, I was told it was just a bad anxiety attack and to follow up with my regular doc in a few days.

At the follow-up appointment, my doc told me he was fairly convinced that my thyroid issue is what is causing most of the attacks, and that if we could get my thyroid levels in check, I should feel immense relief from panic. But ever since my last ER visit a few days ago, I can't get a grip. I've had several panic attacks since then. I've cried my eyes out to my family and boyfriend because I am so scared. My doctor gave me the week off work and I'm thinking I'm going to quit work all together for now because I am breaking down (at least it feels that way) and my health is my number one priority right now. I'm just so frightened. It doesn't help that I'm also highly phobic of medications and scared that anything I may take is just going to kill me out. Its like I'm scared that I'm going to have a dangerous reaction to any medication, and that only makes the panic worse. My body has been in constant "fight mode" these past few days. I feel so tired, sickly, and weak. I'm trying to eat healthily to regain some strength but it's like one step forward and two steps back. The attacks just keep coming.

Earlier today I had an attack and took 5mg of Buspar. Buspar is the only anxiety med that doesn't knock me completely out (another thing that frightens me about other medications).

I'm just so completely overwhelmed!! I don't know where else to turn. I've contemplated making an appointment and traveling 2 hours away to an alternative doctor to see if she can find some other way to help. I'm also considering talk therapy. I just don't know where to begin, where to find real relief before I completely break down. Earlier today I was actually telling myself that I need to come to terms with the fact that something is very wrong with me. I don't want my life to become that! I want to get better, I can't keep feeling like I'm on the verge of death all the time :(

Well hi and welcome to the forum.

I can empathise with you so much. The only difference is, instead of going to the ER I would self-medicate with alcohol.

When you say your body is in constant "fight mode" you are spot on. Your nervous system is so hyped up that you are on high-alert all the time and the smallest things will trigger a panic attack. In fact you'll probably just panic randomly.

Understanding this is helpful in itself because you probably feel like you're going completely crazy and/or about to die. Well you aren't. It's just the "fight or flight" mechanism gone haywire. When your body is all keyed up like this (thinking it's about to be attacked by a bear or something) your mind isn't able to function properly.. Your thoughts start racing and the whole thing becomes a horrible vicious circle.

What you need to do is help your nervous system settle down. There are a number of ways of doing this but I believe the best is learning to breathe properly. When we're anxious we take lots of shallow breaths from our chest, which is basically the top of our lungs. So we're hyperventilating and not getting enough oxygen, which contributes to the whole "racing thoughts" panic scenario.

It's not easy when you're really anxious but try and practice breathing deeply using your diaphragm. You can find instructions online. Doing this stimulates the Vagus nerve, which basically tells your body it can relax. Even if you can just do this for 5 minutes a day it will have an effect. But you do need to do it regularly, it's not a quick fix.

Physical exercise is another thing that helps get the nervous system back into balance. But something gentle like walking is best I think.

Avoid anything that stimulates the nervous system like caffeine and try and have some vitamins and herbs that "soothe" it. Good food will help (but sometimes it's hard to eat when you're in panic mode). Also just drinking water is good.

Talking to people who understand is also very helpful - it actually reduces the amount of stress hormones in the blood. Same with listening to calming music and sounds (at the same time try and reduce "stressful" noises like TV with lots of ads).

So essentially you need to realise that even though what's happening to you feels absolutely terrifying, it's actually not abnormal for anyone with a sensitive nervous system who has been under stress. And with a society like ours, that's bound to happen.

Take as much time out from "normal" life as possible and really be kind to yourself. Don't add to the anxiety by thinking you shouldn't be like this or comparing yourself to others. There are plenty of us here who have felt just like this.

All the best to you,
Gypsy :)

PanicCured
12-04-2014, 08:34 AM

Please try this exactly as I wrote it next time the first signs of a panic attack occur. It really works! Just give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. Then report back how it went.

http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?9512-The-Quick-Guide-to-Stopping-Panic-Attacks

glimmer2525
12-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Well hi and welcome to the forum.

I can empathise with you so much. The only difference is, instead of going to the ER I would self-medicate with alcohol.

When you say your body is in constant "fight mode" you are spot on. Your nervous system is so hyped up that you are on high-alert all the time and the smallest things will trigger a panic attack. In fact you'll probably just panic randomly.

Understanding this is helpful in itself because you probably feel like you're going completely crazy and/or about to die. Well you aren't. It's just the "fight or flight" mechanism gone haywire. When your body is all keyed up like this (thinking it's about to be attacked by a bear or something) your mind isn't able to function properly.. Your thoughts start racing and the whole thing becomes a horrible vicious circle.

What you need to do is help your nervous system settle down. There are a number of ways of doing this but I believe the best is learning to breathe properly. When we're anxious we take lots of shallow breaths from our chest, which is basically the top of our lungs. So we're hyperventilating and not getting enough oxygen, which contributes to the whole "racing thoughts" panic scenario.

It's not easy when you're really anxious but try and practice breathing deeply using your diaphragm. You can find instructions online. Doing this stimulates the Vagus nerve, which basically tells your body it can relax. Even if you can just do this for 5 minutes a day it will have an effect. But you do need to do it regularly, it's not a quick fix.

Physical exercise is another thing that helps get the nervous system back into balance. But something gentle like walking is best I think.

Avoid anything that stimulates the nervous system like caffeine and try and have some vitamins and herbs that "soothe" it. Good food will help (but sometimes it's hard to eat when you're in panic mode). Also just drinking water is good.

Talking to people who understand is also very helpful - it actually reduces the amount of stress hormones in the blood. Same with listening to calming music and sounds (at the same time try and reduce "stressful" noises like TV with lots of ads).

So essentially you need to realise that even though what's happening to you feels absolutely terrifying, it's actually not abnormal for anyone with a sensitive nervous system who has been under stress. And with a society like ours, that's bound to happen.

Take as much time out from "normal" life as possible and really be kind to yourself. Don't add to the anxiety by thinking you shouldn't be like this or comparing yourself to others. There are plenty of us here who have felt just like this.

All the best to you,
Gypsy :)

Thank you so much for your reply. I read it when you first replied and it helped so much. I haven't had a chance to reply back, as this past week has been an eventful one, but I'm back again (and unfortunately, suffering these past couple of days) to re-read your message and remember that I'm not alone out there. thank you.

glimmer2525
12-10-2014, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=PanicCured;199380]Please try this exactly as I wrote it next time the first signs of a panic attack occur. It really works! Just give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. Then report back how it went.

QUOTE]

PanicCured, I read your post and I must say it is very helpful. I put your suggestions into practice to the best of my ability, and I made it through about 4 days without having a full-blown attack (I had several instances where my body tried to go into full panic mode, but I was able to make it stop before it got too far). Unfortunately I'm having full-on attacks again over these past couple of days - Stress about whether or not to keep my job got to be too much for me and I succumbed to the panic again. I will revisit your post often though, to keep it all in mind. Thank you.

aml0017
12-11-2014, 11:22 AM
We have all been there. It is always worst at the beginning because the panic attacks are so scary you really do believe you will die. After a while, you recognize the attacks for what they are and you can work through them. They really won't kill you, believe me, I have had countless panic attacks over 20 years now. You have to accept you are having an attack and breath through it, talk through it. Say it is just anxiety, it is in my head, it will go away. Still sucks when it happens, though :(

I hope the buspar gives you some relief. It did not work for me, but Celexa did somewhat. Even though you are trying meds please still try gypsy's suggestions. Meds are only a part of the process. You still need to develop coping mechanisms to get you through the day.

It will get better. I still have anxiety, but haven't had an attack in over 5 years. Keep fighting. This, too, shall pass!

worriedmummy85
12-11-2014, 06:12 PM
I remember being this person a year ago, the very thought of having a panic attack was sending me into a blind panic, until one day just like the person above said its about realising everything your feeling is all anxiety.

I was whole heartedly convinced anxiety could not make me feel the way I was feeling. One day I decided when I felt that way to tell myself it was just anxiety and it really worked the pain went away its all about accepting its anxiety and talking yourself out of the panic.

Always around if you need to chat

PanicCured
12-11-2014, 07:05 PM

This reminds me of how I was a few years back. From what I have read in your post, this is textbook anxiety disorder. Low thyroid function, hypothyroid, would make you sluggish and slower. My guess is it is unrelated.

There is something you are doing that is amping up the volume on your anxiety that is making it difficult for you to bring the levels down. First thing, stop going to the doctor for now and stop focusing on medical issues. You have already had all the tests and have been cleared. That non stop trying to find what exotic deadly disease you have will totally drive you nuts! It will also make you broke!

I do not have any anxiety anymore so there is a way out. You can PM me and I will help you pin point what you can do to make this better. First start seeing how you are keeping the cycle going. I know it feels like a disease doing this to you that the doctors are too incompetent and uncaring to figure out, but this is most likely from what you posted just anxiety. Your nervous system is shot and it's on high alert so you need to heal that. But YOU are causing it to trigger. Please try and see this. Are you also googling symptoms 5 hours a day? PM me if you want and try to figure out what to do. I am all about solutions. First, get off the doctor ER medical train. Put the power back into your hands! You are the disease so you are also the cure.

glimmer2525
12-15-2014, 12:02 PM
This reminds me of how I was a few years back. From what I have read in your post, this is textbook anxiety disorder. Low thyroid function, hypothyroid, would make you sluggish and slower. My guess is it is unrelated.

There is something you are doing that is amping up the volume on your anxiety that is making it difficult for you to bring the levels down. First thing, stop going to the doctor for now and stop focusing on medical issues. You have already had all the tests and have been cleared. That non stop trying to find what exotic deadly disease you have will totally drive you nuts! It will also make you broke!

I do not have any anxiety anymore so there is a way out. You can PM me and I will help you pin point what you can do to make this better. First start seeing how you are keeping the cycle going. I know it feels like a disease doing this to you that the doctors are too incompetent and uncaring to figure out, but this is most likely from what you posted just anxiety. Your nervous system is shot and it's on high alert so you need to heal that. But YOU are causing it to trigger. Please try and see this. Are you also googling symptoms 5 hours a day? PM me if you want and try to figure out what to do. I am all about solutions. First, get off the doctor ER medical train. Put the power back into your hands! You are the disease so you are also the cure.

You're right PanicCured, I have been googling symptoms and probably unknowingly making things even harder on myself. I have been footed with two ER bills this past year alone. I just can't seem to get a grip, but believe me, I want to. I want my normal life back.

What is your opinion on seeing a naturopathic doctor? There's one nearby that I'm interested in. I'm just willing to try almost anything at this point.

I'd been reading past posts and trying to obtain as much info/tips/advice as I can. My boyfriend says that he's worried I'm going to become obsessed with the issue at hand and cause more harm than good. I just don't know what else I can be doing. I try to occupy my time with normal activities and those normal activities usually trigger anxiety on all kinds of different levels.

Also, I can't seem to PM anyone just yet :( the forum says I haven't met my posting quota yet.

PanicCured
12-15-2014, 05:40 PM
You're right PanicCured, I have been googling symptoms and probably unknowingly making things even harder on myself. I have been footed with two ER bills this past year alone. I just can't seem to get a grip, but believe me, I want to. I want my normal life back.

What is your opinion on seeing a naturopathic doctor? There's one nearby that I'm interested in. I'm just willing to try almost anything at this point.

I'd been reading past posts and trying to obtain as much info/tips/advice as I can. My boyfriend says that he's worried I'm going to become obsessed with the issue at hand and cause more harm than good. I just don't know what else I can be doing. I try to occupy my time with normal activities and those normal activities usually trigger anxiety on all kinds of different levels.

Also, I can't seem to PM anyone just yet :( the forum says I haven't met my posting quota yet.

Keep doing that Quick Guide I wrote at the first sign of the anxiety. Healing anxiety is a process you have to keep working at like going to the gym. You don't just do one workout and you are totally fit. You keep at it until you get there. It worked for you for 4 days, so keep doing it. Eventually it will have no power of you and you will see you were scared of nothing.

I saw a Naturapath. I did everything I could get my hands on. I do personally believe the nervous system needs to be healed, but the ultimate final stage will come from you. I wrote all the stuff I did in my techniques thread above in the stickies. You have to rewrite your train of thoughts. Like when it tells you to run home or find your safe person, you have to override that. When you hear that voice in your head that something is wrong, you have to override it.

Most people simply just follow those voices and never step back and not give in to them. They take medication to gave them relief but don;t do the actual real healing. You have to kind of just face the music. I mean come on, obviously anxiety is not going to hurt you so ride through it. But this is a process that takes weeks to months. The trick is to keep moving forward and always know you will get better. Do everything you can do to get there.

Seriously my Quick quide is ridiculously simple but effective! PM me anytime.

Matthew Caleb
12-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Hang in there. I have very similar panic episodes. Panic out of nowhere especially when i get real bad headaches I get so scared. You are not alone remember that. And they are only your adrenaline, not any real threat. As I type this I have to tell myself the same thing. I'm interested in meeting more people like you and I. Sometimes family doesn't understand. Take care

Estelle2008
05-29-2015, 06:14 PM

I was just wondering how you are now? I am just new here, but I came across your post and it sounds pretty similar to my experiences :( I need help with this fast

Labella7117
05-29-2015, 07:18 PM
I know exactly how you feel I've gone to the ER countless times and they gave me adavan and sent me home I literally just got done crying all over my boyfriend five minutes ago I call my parents histerical on a regular basis I am also only 25 years old and I'm not able to enjoy my life at all. I just quit my job a couple of weeks ago because of this and I was there for years and before I quit I kept taking leave of absense to try to get myself together and I'm still a reck about. Week ago my boyfriend and I were driving home from another state and we were in a bad storm and I had a horrible panic attack I couldn't stand up I was dizzy, sweating, shaking like crazy, weak I thought I was going to pass out my heart was coming out of my chest and I kept crying begging him to take me to the hospital and telling him something was wrong with me and ten minutes later it passed and I was left horrified over what had just happened to me

glimmer2525
05-31-2015, 10:02 PM
I was just wondering how you are now? I am just new here, but I came across your post and it sounds pretty similar to my experiences :( I need help with this fast

Hey there! Sorry I am just now seeing your message. I'm also sorry to hear you're having a hard time right now.

I originally wrote this post almost 6 months ago, and I am honestly doing a lot better than I was back then. Come to find out, I had a few medical things exacerbating those panic attacks - a thyroid imbalance and adrenal fatigue. Now, I've always had generalized anxiety, but I believe my conditions were helping to make the actual panic attacks start hitting me with such brutal force. I also had a vitamin d deficiency! So the best piece of advice I can give you is start with a good medical checkup just to be sure you don't have any of these things going on.

However, keep in mind that many people suffer anxiety and panic attacks with no underlying conditions at all. Either way, I promise you there is hope. I have been working on this for awhile now and its been a hell of a process but I'm making improvements all the time.

Please feel free to message me anytime you'd like to talk. Also posting on here helps a ton! there are some awesome people on this forum who helped me so much.

Keeping you in my thoughts, remember you're not alone.. I promise.