PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety about mental illness

sufferer1
12-03-2014, 06:57 AM
Hey guys,

this is my first post here. My sympathy to all of you who suffer. I just want to ask for help from you. I’m 18 years old male. I’ve been suffering from severe anxiety for about half a year. It began with thoughts about death and severe stress, which eventually got me into a panic attack and a dreaded circle of fear, stress, physical sensations and panic started. After discovering Paul’s book and reading it, I felt immediately an inner peace, though it didn’t last long because of my sensitized nerves. I already established a worrying habit, got into avoidance, developed hypochondria.. It was hard to change my behaviour at first.

Right now I feel I’ve made a big progress, most of my physical symptoms are gone (expect for headaches and tingling in feet). Though one thing that seems to strike much harder than ever is depersonalisation, derealisation, obssesive thoughts and racing mind. I literally got the leftovers of anxiety in my head. Also my biggest and only fear at this moment is that of going crazy.

We’ve been studying mental illnesses in my school (yeah, right, the worst topic to be digging in in my current state of hypochondria, worrying the worst and anxious thoughts). So after I’ve read about schizophrenia (the word itself gives me chills), I began obssesing about it. I can just lie in my bed doing nothing, and because my mind doesn’t have anything to work on, I come back on those thoughts. I get hypervigilant, scanning for every sound, every black or shiny dot in the corner of my eyes (which I get very often, and blurry vision, and feeling like suddenly there is light switched on in the corner of my eyes) and I look for the slightest sign that I’m going mad. And when I actually hear something (which I can’t explain or it is just plain simple as a TV from my neighbour) I freak out, panic, my vision and depersonalisation gets worse, further fueling the fears. I know my fears are irrational, but as you most likely know, fear is right now the most powerful emotion for me. I even got that far as to do not display any strong emotion right now, because I’ve read that it can trigger the illness. I also got in the age where it might show, so it added to my fears.

To clarify, I have absolutely no knowledge of any mental illness in my family and even distant relatives I know. I’ve never abused any drugs, only had weed three times (once I had a panic attack because of severe derealisation, I didn’t know it was weed what I was smoking so I had no idea what was going on with me). I also never ever had any hallucinations, heard voices or something like that. I have had anxious personality for a while, like since I was 12 years old. I think I might’ve picked that up from my mother, who is herself an anxious, overreacting worrier that does not handle stress well. I also didn’t tell my parents about my suffering. They wouldn’t understand, I also didn’t felt confident enough to do it. My father is not very talkative, he keeps most of feelings for himself and shows only the detached, strong personality.

Well, I fear that if I don’t have the mental illness now, I secured it on myself in the years that come, due to severe stress and crazy anxious thoughts that seem to pop up out of nowhere, stick in my head and scare me. I have my whole life in front of me and I fear very much being locked in an institution, detached from the people I love, from doing things I love. How do you guys handle this fear, this irrational thought of anticipation? Also I don’t know if it’s important. I already had depersonalisation in my life (i think only once or twice), probably after suffering intense stress during the time my parents were fighting.

Lately I've been feeling really dull, empty, dead inside, almost can't feel any emotion. Also my panic attacks have left me (I think for good, I just can't panic anymore). I also seem to have stopped having racing mind, only intrusive thoughts remain. I almost want my old feelings of dread panic return, because now it feels really wierd when I don't have panic or anxiety attacks. I also read about some changes in my brain leading to mental illness, is this the case? Am I finally going crazy? :D

I would really appreciate any response from you. Cheers :)

gypsylee
12-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Hi there,

Check out the thread started by Nicole called "Intense Fear of Schizophrenia" or something. It's pretty recent.

It's a common fear of people with anxiety but they are very different illnesses. Anxiety has a large physical component in my opinion - a hyper-sensitive nervous system. Schizophrenia is where chemicals in the brain go haywire. I've never heard of anxiety leading to schizophrenia.

As I mentioned in Nicole's thread, I've got schizophrenia in my family AND I've been anxious to the point where you would think a person might go crazy (opiate drug withdrawals). I'm still relatively sane.. I think lol.

All the best,
Gypsy

sufferer1
12-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your reply. :)
I've googled that some schizophrenics actually had anxiety and panic in their lives at some point. I also can't shake the thought that having anxiety at the age of 18 is going to make some inevitable damage to my brain (the constant stress). Is that in any way possible or I'm just making catastrophic and totally unrealistic scenarios? I wasn't even concerned about this illness since I read about it, and I'm terrified of reading any further because the more I know, the worse it seems to get.

h_rock
12-04-2014, 02:56 AM
I wasn't even concerned about this illness since I read about it, and I'm terrified of reading any further because the more I know, the worse it seems to get.

This sentence here means you have health anxiety, nothing worse than that. You WILL be fine.

From 20-23 I thought I had so many things, was going crazy, always stressed out - just like you I thought my mind wouldn't be able to cope, that I would eventually break myself. I'm now 30, and I'm not mad, not schizophrenic, nothing! I run a business, have a busy and active schedule and my brain is fully functioning and it's going to stay that way for many years to come

If you keep reading in to other medical conditions and matching your 'symptoms' to these you will start to think you have these too. This is how it works, your thoughts become unrealistic and negative and they happen automatically, because they are YOUR thoughts you believe them.

It is sometimes very hard to believe at first, but your thoughts are not the truth. Your anxiety is making you think things which are lies. The more you think about it the more you believe it and the more you look for evidence to support it the stronger and more frequent those thoughts get.

Stop reading anymore about it, learn how to untwist your thinking and understand when you anxiety is driving it. Keep busy (school work, projects, seeing friends), get some exercise, not just a nice walk, but something to really get your body going and mind focused on something else. Then repeat repeat repeat over and over until you have stopped those thoughts are no longer in the fore front of your mind.

They will only go if you do the right things to make them. Also, try and find someone you can talk to about it, someone who can help support and motivate you to keep going. You are not alone in what you are going through, millions have been here before, but at the moment you are at the hardest part, the bit where it is all new and where you have very little knowledge about it and how to stop it.

You can do it though.

Good luck

Hugo

sufferer1
12-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Dear Hugo,

thank you for your kind and thoughtful words. Really helped to lift my mood after a bad day. After reading your post, I got a thought "But what if you are actually going to go mad... etc", but now I try to recognise that it just stems from my anxiety, even though it seems so real every time. I'm glad there are people like you, really. ;)

Cheers

h_rock
12-04-2014, 09:11 AM
If you were going mad, you would not know it. You certainly would not care about it and you wouldn't spend all day thinking about it.

The truth is no mad person spends their time thinking about going mad. Someone with anxiety does.

Instead spend your time kicking ass in whatever you have to do. Life's for living, not letting it go by while you're busy thinking about every single issue and problem you could face.

I have a post on my blog called 'learning to live day by day' take a read as it might help you understand why you shouldn't worry about 'what might be', the site is below in my signature. The link can be found in the 'New? Start Here' page.

Life's about choice, the bit you have to get right is making the right choices for you.

Hugo