PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Triggers -Help

mamalama
11-30-2014, 08:19 PM
I've just begun trying to work on my anxiety. I don't have a debilitating case but have struggled with constant worries for years and years which culminated over the summer with anxiety attacks and being in a constant anxious state.

Having trouble identifying triggers. What's the best way to go about this?

I know my worries are irrational but they're general things like my son's health, losing family members. I also get stuck on things I've said or done which make me feel like I look foolish and playing out social situations over and over. To me these seem like things that don't have a specific trigger, they're just sort of always there and sometimes I'm good at ignoring them, sometimes not. Is that "normal"?

Appreciate any thoughts or insight on where to start.

Xerosnake90
12-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Anxiety is a stressed state of the body and mind. So much worrying eventually turns the body into high alert action ready mode on a constant. It can be set off quite randomly. Specific triggers can be identified, though I will give you an honest answer.

Your issue lies in your worrisome thoughts. You must overcome the desire to think incessantly and bring answers and descriptions to every idea. The point to focus on here is to stop the thinking behavior. Identify which pattern of thought causes unwanted results, such as fear that fuels anxiety.

Being so thought dependent for a long time. I realize I enjoy my days most when I'm out of my head and enjoying the world around me. If thoughts are to be had then focus on ideas that constructively move you forward.

Work on it and stick with it. It takes time to shed yourself of anxiety. You can do it.

hunn3yy
12-01-2014, 01:06 AM
In the beginning it can be hard to find the triggers as it all seems to just happen. But when you think about all attacks they all have the same flow of events. That flow can help find the triggers. It takes time and experience to know what they are.

-love

mamalama
12-01-2014, 05:32 AM
Thank you both for your replies, they are very helpful!

danielhermanson
12-01-2014, 06:18 AM
From what are you saying it seems like you might have health and social anxiety. In health anxiety the triggers can variate a lot, depending of the state of your mind. The main triggers in this kind of anxiety are negative thoughts about your own health or your loved ones. One way to stop these negative thoughts is to replace them with positive ones.

For example "my son is very healthy because I really take care of him and in case he gets sick I will help him with all my strength", "all my family members will live a long and healthy life and we will enjoy each other company for a long time". Use examples like that and forget about negativity.

There is another way to overcome health anxiety and that is taking a medical examination to rule out any unrealistic ideas about diseases you create in your mind.

Now, regarding your social anxiety, the best way to overcome it is to actually go through the situations that are uncomfortable for you. I know this is very hard to do but it is the only effective way. Get used to the fear of social activities and in time it will seem very normal to you. We humans are scared of the unknown, but after we see that there is nothing to be scared about we learn to cope better with those situations.

Take care!