PDA

View Full Version : Choking feel

ctmboy
11-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Does anyone get the lump and tightness in the throat feeling during anxious moments. It feels like your choking. I've battled anxiety for about 8 years and this is a new symptom. CBT has worked in the past but it's hard to remember how to ease the mind during a severe episode. I work in a stressful carrer but I do enjoy it. My stress and anxiety seems to be worse during cold winter months. I'm vitamin d deficient. Does anyone feel that vitamin d supplements help with anxiety? Please help.

jjm2894
12-04-2014, 04:22 PM
While I don't use supplements to help with my anxiety, I've absolutely felt the lump/tightness in the throat thing. In fact, it was one of the first symptoms I experienced when my health anxiety started getting out of control several years ago. It was one of the first things that sent me to the doctor's office out of indescribable fear. Fortunately for me, the doctor made the assessment right then and there that not only was I suffering from severe anxiety, the lump I was feeling was a symptom of that anxiety—a physical manifestation of my mental fear.

It's one of about a thousand random "symptoms" that can be produced by anxiety. From that moment on, I've tried to remind myself that any small, odd, abnormal tick I notice is probably a symptom of my anxiety, and will only be made worse by constant worrying about it.

Trying to keep that perspective is always what's helped me more than anything. When in doubt, it never hurts to scroll through a bunch of old posts on this forum... just to remind yourself that other people's minds are doing the same things to them that yours is to you!

Best of luck, ctmboy.