PDA

View Full Version : need info on how to help my son

tgirl
12-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Hello all ,

I am new to the site and not here for my self last night my son was over for dinner and he told me that he is having a fear of being in crowds he says that he gets nervous and on edge with a group of people dose not like the mall and other crowed places. He has been clean and sober for 2 years now and never had any problems before he always liked to be around a lot of people. Can anyone give me some sugguestion on how to get him some help before this problem excalates

flower29
12-16-2005, 03:54 AM
Hi I am new too. Its good that you are trying to seek help for your son that's very nice and supportive of you. You should take him to the doctor. you know what's happening is that when he was not sober it was easy for him to relate to people becuase whatever he was on took the edge off and basically was a cover for him. Now that he is sober he has to face the world without his protective shell and it can be very difficult. I used to smoke weed all day everyday from the age of 15 to about 21 and when I stopped it was like I was naked or something. so I understand where he is coming from. but definatly take him to the doctor and maybe they can give him some mediation that can help. I am on something called Cymbalta it really makes a difference. It does not take away the problem I still have alot of anxiety as you can see from my posts but it will help him cope. also there is a site member called Vikki she takes soemthing called ativan ( lorenzepam) and so do I. it is an anxiety pill that you take when you feel panic or anxiety it might help too. anyway good look we are all here for you.

brickyard_red
12-16-2005, 01:27 PM
First of all Welcome. I'm glad you chose this forum to come to. I agree with Flower, you need to get him to a Dr. There are meds. that can help him. And maybe he doesn't need meds. perhaps there are relaxation tecniques that can be taught to him that will help him while he's out.

Cath :)

hank freid hotels
05-22-2008, 04:23 AM
In my opinion, If no physical illness is found, you may be referred to a psychiatrist or psychologist, mental health professionals who are specially trained to diagnose and treat mental illnesses.