PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety over being "dominated"

TB1
11-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Hi, all. I know I don't post here really, but I recently had to deal with this, so I feel it would be a good idea to post about it and see what you all have to say.

As I've mentioned long ago, I have problems with occasional bouts of anxiety that can range on any kind of subject. My health and my future are big ones, but most of the time, a little bit of logic can help take the edge off. However, I also have this particular trigger that I'm not sure how to deal with. It's the terrible thought of being "dominated", i.e. being taken over by some horrible or aggressive person who is way tougher than me and I have no way of escaping. This typically comes up whenever I see someone acting aggressive or vehemently bashing stuff I like on an internet forum, or whenever I start to do poorly against other players at a video game. I start to imagine voices in my head pushing me around, yelling at me about how much I suck and that I'm worthless and deserve to be treated like trash.

As you can imagine, it's not a happy thought, and I've had a few times where it spiraled out of control and found myself having an anxiety attack from it. I know the chances of something like that happening are very slim, but whenever it rears its ugly head, I start thinking about how helpless I actually am. I don't work out in the least, and I was a constant bullying victim for most of my school life. I just can't stomach the thought of being forced to be around someone better than me in every way and constantly using it to treat me like dirt. I've felt helpless before, and I never wanna feel that way again.

How do I deal with a thought like this other than "It's just a thought, it can't hurt you."? It's true that thoughts can't hurt me, but that doesn't stop them from being scary. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

gypsylee
11-26-2014, 08:00 AM
Hi, all. I know I don't post here really, but I recently had to deal with this, so I feel it would be a good idea to post about it and see what you all have to say.

As I've mentioned long ago, I have problems with occasional bouts of anxiety that can range on any kind of subject. My health and my future are big ones, but most of the time, a little bit of logic can help take the edge off. However, I also have this particular trigger that I'm not sure how to deal with. It's the terrible thought of being "dominated", i.e. being taken over by some horrible or aggressive person who is way tougher than me and I have no way of escaping. This typically comes up whenever I see someone acting aggressive or vehemently bashing stuff I like on an internet forum, or whenever I start to do poorly against other players at a video game. I start to imagine voices in my head pushing me around, yelling at me about how much I suck and that I'm worthless and deserve to be treated like trash.

As you can imagine, it's not a happy thought, and I've had a few times where it spiraled out of control and found myself having an anxiety attack from it. I know the chances of something like that happening are very slim, but whenever it rears its ugly head, I start thinking about how helpless I actually am. I don't work out in the least, and I was a constant bullying victim for most of my school life. I just can't stomach the thought of being forced to be around someone better than me in every way and constantly using it to treat me like dirt. I've felt helpless before, and I never wanna feel that way again.

How do I deal with a thought like this other than "It's just a thought, it can't hurt you."? It's true that thoughts can't hurt me, but that doesn't stop them from being scary. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This sounds like PTSD to me, caused by the bullying at school. When you witness someone being aggressive in some way it triggers emotions/thoughts from when you were "dominated". Obviously you should talk to a professional about it because I'm no expert but that's my guess at what's going on.

Take it easy..
Gypsy