PDA

View Full Version : Worried for a friend. What should I do?

Joe.
11-21-2014, 12:57 PM
One of my closest friends was diagnosed with schizophrenia at 7 years old, and is showing signs of it now at 15. He is very paranoid, hallucinates, doesn't feel real, hears voices and has a lack of insight into his condition.
I am genuinely worried for him.
He told me today that last night he went out of his house "running away from these eyes" and woke up in a field. I know it interferes with his school work.
Just he tells me he is happy, and finds the hallucinations funny and entertaining, but really when he chases them he puts himself and others in danger.

I know how it can affect the lives of people, so have you got any advise for me or for him? Should he get help? Should I force it?

Joe.
11-21-2014, 04:47 PM
Any replies?

gypsylee
11-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Hey there,

I've had some experience with schizophrenia because I was in a relationship with and lived with a paranoid schizophrenic.

The big problem is, as you say, they don't have insight into the problem. In fact they enjoy it some of the time. So it's very difficult to get them to seek help and even if they do, they don't take the medication or keep taking it.

So I don't really know how you can help your friend sorry. Watch that he doesn't smoke weed because that's like poison for people pre-disposed to schizophrenia.

Good luck..
Gypsy

JohnC
11-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Joe, i would try to get your friend some help. If you feel the way that you do it sounds as though you are genuinely concerned and i think that alone warrants at least a try. He is a friend, right?

JustaGal
11-21-2014, 10:51 PM
One of my closest friends was diagnosed with schizophrenia at 7 years old, and is showing signs of it now at 15. He is very paranoid, hallucinates, doesn't feel real, hears voices and has a lack of insight into his condition.
I am genuinely worried for him.
He told me today that last night he went out of his house "running away from these eyes" and woke up in a field. I know it interferes with his school work.
Just he tells me he is happy, and finds the hallucinations funny and entertaining, but really when he chases them he puts himself and others in danger.

I know how it can affect the lives of people, so have you got any advise for me or for him? Should he get help? Should I force it?

Sometimes I ask myself if the roles were switched - what would I want my friend to do if it was for me?

Joe.
11-22-2014, 04:31 AM
Hey there,

I've had some experience with schizophrenia because I was in a relationship with and lived with a paranoid schizophrenic.

The big problem is, as you say, they don't have insight into the problem. In fact they enjoy it some of the time. So it's very difficult to get them to seek help and even if they do, they don't take the medication or keep taking it.

So I don't really know how you can help your friend sorry. Watch that he doesn't smoke weed because that's like poison for people pre-disposed to schizophrenia.

Good luck..
Gypsy

Thank you Gypsy

He thankfully doesn't smoke weed. He actually keeps a dairy of his hallucinations and voices he hears, and it's quite evident he's getting worse, in line with the age they have a psychotic break at.

Joe.
11-22-2014, 04:32 AM
Joe, i would try to get your friend some help. If you feel the way that you do it sounds as though you are genuinely concerned and i think that alone warrants at least a try. He is a friend, right?

Oh yeah he is a friend.
How could I get him help?
Thanks

Joe.
11-22-2014, 04:34 AM
Sometimes I ask myself if the roles were switched - what would I want my friend to do if it was for me?

Thanks.
Only problem with that is the condition has the symptom 'lack of insight' so he really couldn't see what is best for him.

Ryker
11-22-2014, 04:55 AM
I think all you can do is try and become as much of an expert about it yourself and be ready to do the right things at the right time. With young people the first treatment for all psychological conditions is to do absolutely nothing and try and be as normal as humanly possible.

I'd leave his medical care to the pros, and just concentrate on doing and enjoying the sorts of things that people your age do.

JohnC
11-22-2014, 05:06 AM
Maybe you could talk to a professional and explain to them what is happening to your friend and see what they suggest. It can't hurt.

Joe.
11-22-2014, 05:26 AM
Yeah, good advise.
My friend says it would ruin his job prospects though, you see.

Ryker
11-22-2014, 05:40 AM
Yeah, good advise.
My friend says it would ruin his job prospects though, you see.

If he was diagnosed at 7 he'll already be under a doctor anyway. Surely.

Joe.
11-22-2014, 05:42 AM
If he was diagnosed at 7 he'll already be under a doctor anyway. Surely.

Maybe. But he tells me they think has hasn't hallucinated or heard voices in 5 years

Joe.
11-22-2014, 05:43 AM
I think all you can do is try and become as much of an expert about it yourself and be ready to do the right things at the right time. With young people the first treatment for all psychological conditions is to do absolutely nothing and try and be as normal as humanly possible.

I'd leave his medical care to the pros, and just concentrate on doing and enjoying the sorts of things that people your age do.

Thanks. Good advise.
His dad also could intervene, if my friend lets him that is.