PDA

View Full Version : Fom Citalopram to Mirtazapine

Pete Jorkowski
11-18-2014, 04:53 AM
Hey all, been on Cit 20mg for 6-7 months, feel marginally better overall since before I started, which I think is due to my own acceptance more than anything. Went to the docs today as I feel the Cit could actually be holding me back, I worry about if it's actually having a negative effect rather than positive. Anyway the doc suggested I come off it and try Mirtazapine. Anyone else been in a similar situation? Really wish there was a way out of this hell without going through nightmarish withdrawal and adjustment period symptoms. I'm thinking as I've gotta wean off the Cit anyway I might have a month off all medications and see how I am. What do you lot think? It's all too easy for doctors to prescribe this stuff off the cuff, they don't have to live with the ridiculous anxiety every little decision or change causes

Thanks all, Pete

gypsylee
11-18-2014, 06:00 AM
Hey all, been on Cit 20mg for 6-7 months, feel marginally better overall since before I started, which I think is due to my own acceptance more than anything. Went to the docs today as I feel the Cit could actually be holding me back, I worry about if it's actually having a negative effect rather than positive. Anyway the doc suggested I come off it and try Mirtazapine. Anyone else been in a similar situation? Really wish there was a way out of this hell without going through nightmarish withdrawal and adjustment period symptoms. I'm thinking as I've gotta wean off the Cit anyway I might have a month off all medications and see how I am. What do you lot think? It's all too easy for doctors to prescribe this stuff off the cuff, they don't have to live with the ridiculous anxiety every little decision or change causes

Thanks all, Pete

I googled Mirtazapine and I've been on it. It's a completely different type of anti-depressant to the SSRIs. I didn't find it any good. I'd see how you go off medication before starting it. Coming off SSRIs isn't always a good idea though - not because it's that awful but because if you relapse, you have to start them again, which is hell.

OhKiMarie
11-19-2014, 10:56 PM

Thanks all, Pete
My Doctor was the exact opposite. I've been on and off Remeron (mirtz) for 10 years. Over the course of the last 3 years, I wanted to try something else because I had gained so much weight on Remeron. So he told me that since I had been on Remeron so long, I wouldn't get any side effects coming off and going onto the others I tried (Zoloft, lexapro, wellbutrin etc etc) and he was wrong. I felt all the side effects to the other medications because Remeron doesn't have that one active ingredient like all the others.

Anyways, like I said I've been on and off my medication. I stop taking it when I feel like I'm ready and then I end up back on it because somewhere down the line I needed it again. Never weened myself off just stopped (I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself) but I knew how Remeron affected me and I had no withdrawals, ever. If you feel like you could do without the medication I say give it a go, there is never any harm in trying. But do keep in mind the time frame for each medication you take to completely clear your system.

Also note: If you do decide to get on Remeron (Mirtazaphine) be aware of the constant hunger you will have and you'll be in sleep mode for a little bit.