PDA

View Full Version : On the brink

AnxiousPsychGrad
11-14-2014, 09:44 PM
When you are on the brink of an attack, and you feel as if it is inevitable, what do you do to stop it?
I'm at the point where I can feel them coming on, but there is nothing I can do to stop it. I take Klonopin, so taking that would not be an option as it takes about an hour to be effective. Riding them out usually means an ER trip (even though I know what's going on.)
Any suggestions or tips as to what has helped you?

Rube Goldberg
11-14-2014, 11:55 PM
I've never been able to reverse one when I know it's coming. However, I've learned how to minimize the attack with controlled breathing. I also used to keep going with my day as if it wasn't happening until I couldn't go on anymore. Now, instead, I stop what I'm doing and pay attention to myself and my body. Also, being around ANYONE who minimizes what I'm going through the attack will be way worse because the guilt kicks in hard.

Hope that helps.

Ryker
11-15-2014, 01:09 AM
When I feel the first signs of anxiety I know it's my choice whether or not to allow it to escalate into an attack.

I simply chose to understand what's going on and am in control of my thoughts so an attack no longer happens. I know that sounds a bit simple and impossible but that's about all there is to it.

AnxiousPsychGrad
11-15-2014, 01:24 AM
I was actually able to "contain" the one I was having as I began this thread. It's SO much easier when you know there are others sharing your battle. That's truly all the help you need sometimes.

Ryker
11-15-2014, 01:52 AM
It just takes practice.

When you become expert at spotting that first 'buzz' of anxiety you have to spot it. By relaxing and breathing through it you can stop it in its tracks.

Just practice tension --> then relax. Tension --> relax until you're expert. Well done

gypsylee
11-15-2014, 04:18 AM
Deep breathing.

But it sounds like you're that terrified of them you're in a vicious circle. You might need to just ride them out a few times to teach yourself that you won't die :)

Talking to people who get it is extremely helpful.

jon mike
11-15-2014, 07:57 AM
if i can feel the dreaded feeling you get coming on then i will it to happen and kind of look forward to it and then it dosent tend to happen,
and remember that all anxiety really is, is uncomfortable, its never killed anyone, its just something that you dont want to happen, let it happen, see what happens

Ryker
11-15-2014, 08:14 AM
if i can feel the dreaded feeling you get coming on then i will it to happen and kind of look forward to it and then it dosent tend to happen,
and remember that all anxiety really is, is uncomfortable, its never killed anyone, its just something that you dont want to happen, let it happen, see what happens

Boss! Come on Anxiety, if you think you're hard enough! That's exactly how to deal with it.

AnxiousPsychGrad
11-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks all!
I am severely afraid of anything to do with my lungs/breathing, so as soon as I get that first breath that catches, I spiral. Which inevitably involves another attack right after -- so, yes, vicious cycle. Because of the vicious cycle, I want to be able to block the first one. Once I've had one, I can expect two days of back to back attacks. This happens once or twice a week usually ... Soooo I panic all the time, basically. I was able to control them last night, thankfully.

1Bluerose68
11-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Lorazapam, taking a brief walk, and a bubble bath after the walk. Then in the Winter Season, I bake a few batches of cookies after all the other stuff which i just mentioned. Then I donate the cookies to whereever I teach the following day. I get anxious at meals and sometimes feel as though my food has been tampered or has gone bad. Then I almost gag. Then I pound my chest and breath a few times extra and finally i may finish my dinner.

jon mike
11-16-2014, 01:51 AM
Thanks all!
I am severely afraid of anything to do with my lungs/breathing, so as soon as I get that first breath that catches, I spiral. Which inevitably involves another attack right after -- so, yes, vicious cycle. Because of the vicious cycle, I want to be able to block the first one. Once I've had one, I can expect two days of back to back attacks. This happens once or twice a week usually ... Soooo I panic all the time, basically. I was able to control them last night, thankfully.

You aren't afraid of breathing, breathing is the most natural thing that
You do, your afraid of losing control, but ask yourself this, what is going to happen if you do
Lose control? Really, what is going to happen? Are you going to experience
Anything worse than what you have already experienced? Remember, it's only a feeling that your experiencing.