PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to begin with a blank slate?

pandorasbox
11-13-2014, 06:10 PM
I feel like I'm starting anew. I managed to seclude most of my close friends (the 4 or 5 I felt I had) in the last few years and now, as I'm slowing taking steps to reduce my anxiety, I feel like I have no one to turn to. No friends, no family members I can open up to, no one really. I can still go back to those friends, I haven't lost them completely but it won't be the same. I am feeling extremely lonely, which doesn't help my situation too much. Additionally, I feel like I have forgotten how to have small talk (or maybe I was never good at it). I don't remember how to make friends. I was so wrapped with personal problems that other than walking and Netflix, I don't really have hobbies. I guess my question is, has anyone started with a blank slate? Having no friends and making all new ones, despite the constant social anxiety that never seems to leave my side? I have always been skeptical of internet friends/companions but I do need an outlet. Are they any reliable websites that others found helpful as a starter to make small talk and possibly lead to having meaningful conversations? I feel as though this could be one way to ease myself into making "real life" friends.

gypsylee
11-14-2014, 05:46 AM
Hey :)

I know what you mean. Most of my social contact these days is online (Facebook mostly). I'm just not a social person and it's not so bad as you get older. I think it's perfectly okay to only have one or two friends. I'd stay away from dating sites (been there, done that) and try to make some friends on Facebook.

All the best,
Gypsy

JustaGal
11-14-2014, 12:31 PM
I feel like I'm starting anew. I managed to seclude most of my close friends (the 4 or 5 I felt I had) in the last few years and now, as I'm slowing taking steps to reduce my anxiety, I feel like I have no one to turn to. No friends, no family members I can open up to, no one really. I can still go back to those friends, I haven't lost them completely but it won't be the same. I am feeling extremely lonely, which doesn't help my situation too much. Additionally, I feel like I have forgotten how to have small talk (or maybe I was never good at it). I don't remember how to make friends. I was so wrapped with personal problems that other than walking and Netflix, I don't really have hobbies. I guess my question is, has anyone started with a blank slate? Having no friends and making all new ones, despite the constant social anxiety that never seems to leave my side? I have always been skeptical of internet friends/companions but I do need an outlet. Are they any reliable websites that others found helpful as a starter to make small talk and possibly lead to having meaningful conversations? I feel as though this could be one way to ease myself into making "real life" friends.

You have made a great start on here : )