PDA

View Full Version : Antidepressants for anxiety success stories pls.

nicnic73
11-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Hello. I have been taking Lexapro for severe anxiety for four yrs now. I have been absolutely amazing but unfortunately I have built a tolerance to even the above recommended dose so now I must switch to something new. Does anyone have any success stories they could share with these meds? thanks b

superchick22684
11-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Back when I was first diagnosed with anxiety and depression several years ago I was on three meds over a years time: Paxil, Effexor and Cymbalta. During that time I saw the most success with Effexor and Cymbalta (both SNRI's). After I graduated from college I had to stop meds due to losing insurance. I just started taking Cymbalta again about a month ago and so far things have been going well. I still have days where I'll be depressed or anxious but I've seen a huge improvement compared to where I was a few months ago. Prior to going back on Cymbalta this time around my doctor tried me on Lexapro and after four weeks of obnoxious side effects he finally let me switch over.
Everyone is different but I've seen more success with SNRI's than SSRI's. Best of luck to you on finding the right meds for you!

gypsylee
11-15-2014, 01:56 AM
Regarding SNRIs - Just be warned Effexor is nasty to come off. I don't even know what other SNRIs there are but yeah I've come off SSRIs as well and Effexor was hard.

I've been on Prozac, Zoloft and now Lexapro. I find Prozac is more "zippy", like I get almost manic when it first kicks in. Can't remember Zoloft.

I find with all of them they help at the start and get me over the worst depression/anxiety but after that they just keep me on an even keel if anything.

All the best,
Gypsy :)

jessed03
11-15-2014, 02:32 AM
Regarding SNRIs - Just be warned Effexor is nasty to come off. I don't even know what other SNRIs there are but yeah I've come off SSRIs as well and Effexor was hard.

I've been on Prozac, Zoloft and now Lexapro. I find Prozac is more "zippy", like I get almost manic when it first kicks in. Can't remember Zoloft.

I find with all of them they help at the start and get me over the worst depression/anxiety but after that they just keep me on an even keel if anything.

All the best,
Gypsy :)

I've had pretty much the same experiences as Gypsy here.

raggamuffin
11-15-2014, 03:06 AM
Have you combined the medication with therapy? Medication is a band aid for anxiety and depression. To actually find the cure you need to work on yourself. This can be done by yourself with self help books and research. however it's often usually the case that a therapist will provide invaluable information to help you tackle and overcome your difficulties.

Ed