PDA

View Full Version : Is this Anxiety ?

Julie Peacock
11-11-2014, 04:29 AM
Right for as long as I can remember I am always worried that every little illness, ache or pain is something serious like cancer (I end up googling my symptoms), which then starts my IBS up. But about a week or so ago I had weird twinges in my belly that eventually subsided and I was googling symptoms again, but then I ended up with a horrid burning sensation at the top of my abdomen just under my breast bone(similar to what I get with acid reflux even though I am already on medication for this and it was being controlled), along with palpitations and generally feeling unwell and in no mood to do anything. I saw my GP last week who asked if I worried alot and I told her that I did and all she said was stop worrying as its causing me to become constipated (hence the weird tummy pains) which is therfore pushing the contents of my stomach upwards which is what is causing this awful burning sensation, she prescribed Renatidine and Fybogel, well shortly after this GP appointment my symptoms lifted 85% and I felt so much more relieved and able to do things again. But on Friday of last week I had another bad attack of worry/stress but not health related (work related) and the awful burning in upper abdomen reappeared and didnt disappear again until late Saturday afternoon, I was symptom free (Well almost anyway) until Monday when I had to sort this work issue out and the burning resurfaced again. This is just horrid and to be honest not sure if it warrants another GP appointment or not as I just simply can no go living like this as its making me miserable, seems every little thing starts it off and fed of thinking I am going die of some terrible disease, I will also add most nights I have terrible trouble sleeping and when I do eventually get to sleep I almost always wake up several times in a night?
Please help I am desperate.

gypsylee
11-11-2014, 06:43 AM
Grrrr my reply disappeared again using this site!

Hi Julie :)

I basically said it does seem to be caused by anxiety. Stomach upset is a common symptom. There are others on the forum who are more knowledgable about how anxiety causes physical symptoms..

Try not to use Dr Google! It causes more anxiety than its worth.

Take it easy..
Gypsy :)

Julie Peacock
11-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Thankyou for your reply Gypsy, hopefully I can nip this in the bud sooner rather than later as it's ruling my life at the moment.... xx

gypsylee
11-11-2014, 07:36 AM
You're welcome.

Hopefully you'll get some more in-depth replies from people who know more about this than I do. I also said in my reply that disappeared, that the doctor telling you not to worry isn't very helpful. If we could stop worrying we would! It's so common for people with anxiety to worry about every little health problem, and in turn make the problem worse.

:)

Julie Peacock
11-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks again Gypsy, and yes I agree "don't worry" is easier said than done when you are not the one who is worrying, I have not been diagnosed with Anxiety in any form but fairly sure this is what I have, there I go again self-diagnosing :/