PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety causing throat spasms

Charl
11-07-2014, 06:49 AM
Hey,

Does anybody out there end up having what I can only describe as spasms in their throat if they worry too much....I seem to be getting it a lot and I'm wondering what there is to help? And because I worry about it it gets worse!

Forever going round in circles with worry -.-

Thanks!

Ryker
11-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Hi Charl,

You'll like this one.

A long, long time ago your ancestors were fishy. Literally.

The 'fight or flight' response that is causing you your sensation had a really important function in your ancestors - it was the response used to clamp tight shut your ancestors' gills. Flappy gills are a vulnerability and also problematic when fleeing.

Over the course of the next 380m years we lost our gills. Many people presume that gills evolved into lungs, but that's not the case. Gills evolved over time into --- your larynx, becoming the vocal chords and throat area, exactly where you're going to be experiencing that tightness.

So you're not going mad, there's no need to worry about that sensation, because it's nothing other than a response to anxiety that used to be essential to keep your ancestors alive.

If they'd died out you wouldn't exist. So it obviously worked, and it's a Good Thing. Relax.

R.

Charl
11-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Hi Ryker!

I enjoyed reading that...learn something new every day :)

Thanks
Charl