PDA

View Full Version : What to say to boss?

linda4422
07-07-2008, 08:52 PM
How do I tell my boss I need time off due to depression? I work for an employment agency so I have no benefits. I wonder what he will say? Any suggestion would be helpful.

Anxious Frank
07-08-2008, 07:10 AM
I've found there are generally two types of reaction when you tell someone you are mentally ill.

1. You become feared. This may trigger a negative reaction, which could have bad consequences for you.

2. You are understood and empathised with. Things are done to try and make your life easier.

Thankfully these days most bosses will fall into the second category. Anxiety disorders and depression are known illnesses and as such, must be dealt with by employers appropriately (YMMV).

I say tell them about it. It would help if you see a doctor too.

linda4422
07-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Why would they fear me? :|

Anxious Frank
07-10-2008, 02:10 AM
Oops. I don't think I explained that too well. Sorry.

What I mean is that you may not be understood. At worst, your boss might think you are a crazy. On the other hand, they may be able to sympathise with you, without actually understanding what you're going through.

So many possibilities.

Patty
07-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Just ask him to have private talk and tell him how you feel and I hope that he will understand you and - what's even more important - support you. I wish you the best of luck.

Ready To Heal
07-17-2008, 05:54 PM
In my opinion, you don't have to disclose exactly what the issue is. When I was depressed, I took time off of work, and told my boss that I had "some health issues" that I needed to address. But then again, I guess it depends on your relationship with your boss. I prefer to keep my personal life off limits to my boss. Hope you are feeling better soon. This too shall pass!