PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Alcohol

Ambition
11-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Hi
I suffer from panic attacks, unreality feelings and to some extent agrophobia in that I avoid towns and busy traffic. I fear I will faint in a crowded place. Mornings are worse so I get up late. I only visit supermarkets when its dark often after 8pm.

But only in the evening before bed, I have a few beers or a few glasses of wine as I feel most relaxed then. I never drink to get legless, but At that time I feel free of anxiety, I feel I can accomplish many things and it gives me a chance to think through my ambitions, I feel happy and I feel I can do anything. The thought of going into town when it's really busy during mid day for example seems possible.

The next morning though I'm brought back to my agoraphobic reality.

Ok it probably seems good to get a release from anxiety for an hour before bed, but could alcohol be making my anxiety worse in the long run?

Ryker
11-04-2014, 04:42 PM
It did for me.

i drank pretty heavily and while I was drinking my anxiety was at its worst. I've not had a drink for 11 years now and have been incredibly different all that time.

If there was one thing to do I'd say that was to stop drinking.

Exactice
11-04-2014, 05:49 PM
I drank heavy, I quit during my panic fear for a couple months. Cold Turkey, and now I drink pretty regularly the only difference though is I dont drink nearly as much as I did. So I would say if you dont want to quit, drink within moderation.

Quitting is just healthy so a good Idea, but hey sometimes its something you dont want to give up.

Dahila
11-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Well you drink and it seems to relax you, then next day anxiety is hitting worse so more beers or wine. It becomes quickly not pleasure but must. I know it, been there, stopped that. I was sober for 8 years not even a drop, when my children were grown up , i had a drink of gin or one beer, never more. There comes the moment when you will know that drinking is not for you. I quit drinking then smoking :))

gypsylee
11-05-2014, 03:37 AM
Ok it probably seems good to get a release from anxiety for an hour before bed, but could alcohol be making my anxiety worse in the long run?

Short answer = yes :)

Exactice
11-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Kinda laughing to myself.....am I the only one still drinking with Anxiety and Panic LOL!

gypsylee
11-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Kinda laughing to myself.....am I the only one still drinking with Anxiety and Panic LOL!

Just because I know it's bad doesn't mean I never do it :)

I self-medicated with large amounts of alcohol for years and it's probably the worst thing you can do (except maybe take amphetamines). If you're able to drink moderately then that's another story I guess. I've been in situations though where my anxiety is unbearable and yet doctors refuse to prescribe sedatives so I've gone and bought alcohol. It's a horrible way to be.

PanicCured
11-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Anxiety will definitely make anxiety worse and bring it out. When I was healing from anxiety I cut out alcohol completely. Especially if you drink a bit too much, the next day is fertile ground for a panic attack. I think at first it relaxes you but then later increases the risk of anxiety. Also caffeine. For mow make your drink of choice organic chamomile tea. You can do a chamomile/lavender even mint blend if you want to get real crazy! Add raw organic honey. My advice is get better than drink a beer. It will give you motivation to get better knowing there's an ice cold beer at the end of it!

Charles Price
11-06-2014, 03:40 PM
I went to a gig last night and got pretty drunk I am really starting to regret it now. Hangovers really fuel my anxiety especially after a heavy session!
last weekend on a night out I drank a pint of water along with each alcoholic beverage I bought, my friends ripped it into me and called me ''Aqua man'' because the amount of water I was drinking. I woke up the next day and I felt great I wasn't even hungover only a little tired. Shame of my friends they felt like crap!!! I really wish I did the same last night :/

zexton
11-08-2014, 05:04 PM
I cant drink at all or my anxiety will go into overdrive. Though I love a good drink, its not worth what I have to go through afterwards-it only makes things better for a short period. Plus if you are taking any anxiety meds they can cause reactions with alcohol

zexton
11-08-2014, 05:13 PM
It seems so worth it at the time, but the after effects aren't.

raggamuffin
11-09-2014, 03:46 AM
Alcohol is a depressant, so in the long run you'll gradually feel worse the more you drink. It's a muscle relaxant though as well a a depressant so for a short time it can make you feel good.

For a hangover cure make a pitcher of cold water and slice up a whole lemon. Drink at least 1 litre before bed or as soon as you stop drinking. Lemon water flushes out toxins from your body. I can guarantee this works wonders and prevents virtually all hangover symptoms.

Lemon water and green tea is all I mainly drink nowadays and I feel a lot better for it.

Ed

gypsylee
11-09-2014, 04:10 AM
Alcohol actually gives me a racing heart now almost straight away, especially certain types. But even that doesn't stop me thinking "I want a drink" when I get anxious.

Lemon water sounds like a good idea..

raggamuffin
11-09-2014, 04:14 AM
16 health benefits of lemon water:

Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies

Lemons contain pectin fiber which is very beneficial for colon health and also serves as a powerful antibacterial

It balances maintain the pH levels in the body

Having warm lemon juice early in the morning helps flush out toxins

It aids digestion and encourages the production of bile

It is also a great source citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium

It helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that cause infections and diseases

It helps reducing pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid

It helps cure the common cold

The potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells

It strengthens the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute

It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver In case of a heart burn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief

It is of immense benefit to the skin and it prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne

It helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems

Aids in the production of digestive juices

Lemon juice helps replenish body salts especially after a strenuous workout session

Ed

gypsylee
11-09-2014, 04:52 AM
Thanks. I'm having some now :-)

Ryker
11-09-2014, 05:20 AM
Ewe!

Give me builders' tea any day.

jon mike
11-09-2014, 01:55 PM
hi, drinking definitely does increase anxiety as does caffeine as someone pointed out, what you have to remember is the alcohol is not causing your anxiety.
the best thing for anxiety is a well balanced diet and exercise, you dont need medication to cure anxiety, you need to understand what it is that is causing your anxiety.
If you are from the uk? talk to your gp and explain that meds are not working and you think that a cognitive behavioural therapy session would be to your advantage, as i think it would. if you have any questions that you would like to ask me regarding getting rid of your anxiety then feel free, i have had a great deal of experience
with it and now enjoy my life to the full, it makes me sad thinking there are people suffering the way i did, i will help anyway i can.

Ryker
11-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Another problem with alcohol is it delays emotional development.

If you drink regularly it puts the brakes on your emotional development. To battle anxiety you need every ounce of emotional intelligence and maturity at your disposal.

A good friend said to me - 'if you're not sure whether you're drinking too much, just try giving up for a month and see how you feel'. If you can't contemplate that, then you've answered your own question.

Dahila
11-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Ragga I hope you rinse the mouth with regular water when you finish lemon water? In years working in dental industry I had seen the damage the acid does to teeth. Rinsing take care of that though,:)