PDA

View Full Version : Ask me anything!

RealisticTrain
11-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Just wanted to introduce myself here. I'm Daniel, and I'm currently near the end of my psychiatry residency at the university of toronto. As such, I have vast knowledge of all things psychiatric, be it medication, alternative treatments,..anything to do with the mind!

I love helping others so I want you guys to know that I'll try to be here on the forum for as long as I can (clinic hours are a bitch) and available to answer questions. Please remember that I am a doctor in training still, and any advice that I give you MUST be approved by your attending doctor first before you attempt any changes.

I've also had my fair share of anxiety and depression in my life, so I can relate. I've made a full recovery, am doing the job that I love, and I'd you all to be able to rid yourself of these worries and just live life. And maybe I can be there to help.

Thanks!

Just a thought...maybe we can sticky this, mods?

Exactice
11-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Hey Daniel, Thank you so much for joining us and lending out your thoughts. Please stay active as I am sure many members here could use some help. Thank you again and I will post up some questions myself =)

RealisticTrain
11-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Hey Daniel, Thank you so much for joining us and lending out your thoughts. Please stay active as I am sure many members here could use some help. Thank you again and I will post up some questions myself =)

It's my pleasure. I'm super busy these days, but ill find time to come on as soon as i can. pharmacology and psychotherapy are my specialization. -They also encompass the most effective treatment when dealing with anxiety or depression.

Kuma
11-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Hey RT. Very kind of you to offer your advice here. I have a couple of questions:

What do you think of beta blockers for anxiety (esp GAD)?

Do you think "adjustment disorder" (DSM V - 309) is a clinically meaningful dx, or is it just a way to get psychotherapy approved by insurance companies that require a diagnosis?

Of patients who present with anxiety, how do you determine which of them is most likely to respond to CBT?

Thanks!

RealisticTrain
11-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Hey RT. Very kind of you to offer your advice here. I have a couple of questions:

What do you think of beta blockers for anxiety (esp GAD)?

Do you think "adjustment disorder" (DSM V - 309) is a clinically meaningful dx, or is it just a way to get psychotherapy approved by insurance companies that require a diagnosis?

Of patients who present with anxiety, how do you determine which of them is most likely to respond to CBT?

Thanks!

Hi Kuma,
Beta blockers have indeed shown to have anxyolitic properties, despite not actually being approved for them. Fight of flight response seems to be inhibited, and this method is used by many actors and musicians to calm stage fright. One big side effect from these alone seem to be night terrors and nightmares, and they have really bad counteractions with other drugs or food. Be careful with these.

Adjustment syndrome, in my opinion, has a very vague criteria and lack of specificity of symptoms and behavioural patterns that need to be present for a diagnosis. Insurance companies usually need more concrete information for your claim, so your doctor might exaggerate or even make up symptoms to make sure you get your entitled treatment :)

Your last question is the most difficult. Generally speaking, those who succeed in cbt are those who really devote time and energy to it. Medication is easier,just pop a pill and you're good to go. Cbt actually requires work, willpower, and an urge to succeed.
I hope I have answered your question!
- Dr. Dan

PanicCured
11-05-2014, 06:17 AM
Yeah I got a question: Why do you think doctors have zero cure for anxiety and give out extremely addictive drugs at the drop of a hat that offer zero long term benefit. Please show us one documented case of actual anxiety cures where someone has been cured 100% fully from psychiatric medication. That means no need for meds or anything, just cured. Not dependent on mind numbing highly addictive substances. Tell me why I was addicted to Klonopins given to me by a doctor when I had anxiety, and I cured myself using all non conventional unpsychiatric methods.

Ambition
11-05-2014, 06:47 AM
I know beta blockers are used by stage performers before a show to prevent stage fright but Do beta blockers such as propranolol 10mg help with agoraphobia if only taken before a stressful event like going into town or driving in busy traffic? Thanks

RealisticTrain
11-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Yeah I got a question: Why do you think doctors have zero cure for anxiety and give out extremely addictive drugs at the drop of a hat that offer zero long term benefit. Please show us one documented case of actual anxiety cures where someone has been cured 100% fully from psychiatric medication. That means no need for meds or anything, just cured. Not dependent on mind numbing highly addictive substances. Tell me why I was addicted to Klonopins given to me by a doctor when I had anxiety, and I cured myself using all non conventional unpsychiatric methods.

Keep in mind that anxiey, at its core, is not a disease, so it cannot be "cured". A normal amount of anxiety is necessary for your body to react to situations where it will have to either "fight or flight", to ensure survival. Here is where we get into disorders: anxiety that is [I]irrational[I] and overwhelming to the point where it impairs your every day function -that's a problem.

So we are, in essence, not trying to find a cure, but rather to bring those anxiety levels down to manageable levels, and through various means of psychotherapy, to "teach" your mind not to be afraid or worried about irrational things ie. things or situations where you are not in any actual danger.

I am sorry that you feel this way about benzos. You must realize that we as doctors want to do everything to help and to help quickly, and when most people come into the emergency room at camh in a manic state of fear or worry, these types of drugs are the only thing that will immediately provide relief. They can be addictive and within 6 months of taking them you might find minor impairment in cognitive functions, such as loss of memory or concentration. That's why anti-depressants are recommended for long-term anxiety relief.

Do tell us, how where you able to "cure" yourself? I'm sure many people here would like to know!
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
11-05-2014, 09:11 AM
I know beta blockers are used by stage performers before a show to prevent stage fright but Do beta blockers such as propranolol 10mg help with agoraphobia if only taken before a stressful event like going into town or driving in busy traffic? Thanks

Generally, within a few hours of administration, they will have some effect on relaxing your blood vessels and slowing your heart down. A similar drug would be clonidine, which is also used for opiate withdrawal. Nurses use these all the time in the ICU.
For your situation, I wouldn't really be able to say. You will have some immediate effect, but I don't know if that is enough for you. Good question to ask your doc.
Cheers,
Dr. Dan

raggamuffin
11-05-2014, 09:15 AM
PanicCured has a lot of stickied threads at the top of the forum regarding how they overcame anxiety. Everyone is different mind you. I prefer a medication free root myself. A lot here like the idea of supplements, but personally I prefer to get the necessary nutrients and minerals from a healthy diet. Since changing my diet radically and cutting out virtually all processed foods I found my chronic 4 year pains I was experiencing all over my body rapidly reduced. I'll be undergoing a second round of CBT in a few months which should be a lot more effective now i'm not in pain constantly throughout the day.

Ed

raggamuffin
11-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Personally I do have a question. Seeing as you're a psychiatrist I assume you did your medical degree prior to specializing in psychiatry. Do you know if there's any news on a possible cure for chronic epididymitis. No STD was found in me or my previous partner when I got it. Had 6 courses of antibiotics over 8 months. Ultrasound showed swelling to the epididymis. Over the counter pain killers did nothing. Prescription codeine did nothing. I suffered with it for over 1 year of constant pain. I saw a consultant urologist who explained how pain isn't still fully understood. 2 people could throw their backs, both physiologically heal but one might experience chronic pain afterwards regardless. He believed anxiety/stress was contributing to the pains. Since then the pains subsided by they do come around sometimes and the bouts are very painful. Wouldn't want to rely on pain killers as I know they can over sensitize nerve endings. H did a scan of my prostate which showed scarring and said there was likely an infection in both areas but 6 courses of antibiotcs would've clearly killed any infection dead and now it seems nerve endings are simply over sensitized.

It's a real struggle though because this kind of pain is unlike anything else that i've experienced with anxiety. whilst it's a dull ache it's incredibly uncomfortable and I'm at a loss with what to do. Anyway, if you had any possible suggestions or any colleagues at the hospital you could speak to regarding this i'd be extremely grateful.

Ed

RealisticTrain
11-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Personally I do have a question. Seeing as you're a psychiatrist I assume you did your medical degree prior to specializing in psychiatry. Do you know if there's any news on a possible cure for chronic epididymitis. No STD was found in me or my previous partner when I got it. Had 6 courses of antibiotics over 8 months. Ultrasound showed swelling to the epididymis. Over the counter pain killers did nothing. Prescription codeine did nothing. I suffered with it for over 1 year of constant pain. I saw a consultant urologist who explained how pain isn't still fully understood. 2 people could throw their backs, both physiologically heal but one might experience chronic pain afterwards regardless. He believed anxiety/stress was contributing to the pains. Since then the pains subsided by they do come around sometimes and the bouts are very painful. Wouldn't want to rely on pain killers as I know they can over sensitize nerve endings. H did a scan of my prostate which showed scarring and said there was likely an infection in both areas but 6 courses of antibiotcs would've clearly killed any infection dead and now it seems nerve endings are simply over sensitized.

It's a real struggle though because this kind of pain is unlike anything else that i've experienced with anxiety. whilst it's a dull ache it's incredibly uncomfortable and I'm at a loss with what to do. Anyway, if you had any possible suggestions or any colleagues at the hospital you could speak to regarding this i'd be extremely grateful.

Ed

Ed,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the pain you are experiencing is called neuropathic pain, or "nerve pain", which is characterized by a "pins and needles" sensation. Now, if your epididymitis stemmed from a bacterial infection, the antibiotics would have had some effect.

Some cases of chronic epididymitis will simply burnout, some take years or decades to do so. On the extreme end, you have surgical intervention in which the mass would be removed but you would be rendered sterile. This is a tough medical condition that has a lot of uncertainties. A drug called Gabapentin can be used for nerve pain. It is not addictive and relatively safe -have you tried it?
- Dr. Dan

raggamuffin
11-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Hi, thanks for the prompt response. The pain has always been an ache. never any pins and needles. The ache was originally very intense. Only rememdied by lying down as sitting tends to make the pains feel worse. My ex and I tested negative for STD's but we were having unprotected sex. Saw multiple Dr's at the sexual health clinic who told me the structure of the epididymis is almost like a cave netowrk and so infection can be hard to eradicate due to blood flow levels as well as it's composition.

My dr did once prescribe me something for nerve pains called amitriptyline. It gave me a bit of an odd side effect where after i'd go to the toilet I'd start noticing a dripping of urine which is obviously quite embaressing. Is Gabapentin in a different family of drugs?

Honestly the pain had subsided for about 3 months. Occasionally it'd ache very slightly for an hour or so. but this recent flare up seems possibly stress related. Friend's husband got testicular cancer. Which make me somewhat obsess over checking down there. The epididymis on that side remains swollen and with all the rather frantic checking the area then became extremely sore once again and 2 weeks later the pain remains even though the worry about cancer faded very quickly as the testes felt fine, the aches and pains continue to be quite prevalent.

I'm seeing my GP tomorrow who used to be a urologist. I'd just really like to try a medication free route but I wonder if that's not possible. I was told by all the Dr's that it could simply burn out eventually. i thought that'd already happened when the pain first subsided for a prolonged period. However I still remember the affected area remaining swollen and after examining the area each fortnight to check for abnormalities etc that it'd ache slightly for a while after checking. It just seems odd that the area still feels swollen (not the teste itself but the chords/tubes) but every Dr who checked said it felt "fine" and the ultra sound last year was fine and that's 6 different Dr's now who've checked.

Anyway, I appreciate your input. I'll have a word with the GP tomorrow, see what he could possibly recommend. It's a bit of a tough situation though. Knowing it could take years or decades for this to pass. I mean I'm comfortable being single until things clear up because after making love it feels like someone has taken a sledgehammer to my balls and remains that intense for days. Decades though? Ach...I guess nobody said life would be fair.

I asked Dr's about surgery but they said that can create additional problems and cause cysts post surgery. Read a few people on a forum of epididymitis sufferers who'd had the op and still had pain months/years later. perhaps it was similar to phantom limb syndrome. Maybe this is solely to do with the nerve endings? The consultant urologist said he'd book me in for physical therapy as there could be a lot of pelvic tension contributing to the issue. I was quite surprised however that he didn't even perform a physical examination on the testes. Months later and I still never got the letter about the physical therapy.

Ed

Dahila
11-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Gabapentin is very effective, I am on it for over 2 years. No interaction with my other meds, and I had not notice any side effects :))

WestCanada05
11-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Why can anxiety cause a lot of fatigue and perceived weakness? Also while this may not be your area of expertise but how much does bad posture play into anxiety?

raggamuffin
11-05-2014, 12:42 PM
^ Fight or flight response and excess adrenaline and chemicals takes its toll on the body and contributes to a lot of fatigue. Posture can cause aches etc too but overall I think anxiety is often the main culprit if you're aching constantly. That is, if you're sleeping correctly, drinkign enough water and eating well. but i'll leave it to the Dr I think 'cos this is his topic.

Ed

Exactice
11-05-2014, 01:08 PM
I have a question now, So in another thread you posted that there is a type of seasonal Anxiety? In my "Its back" Thread I stated that it peaked about the same time last year, so I am noticing a trend. Is there something I can do or exercises I can do to help this along? I am in Hawaii so I get year round sun LOL so sun is not an issue. Thoughts?

gypsylee
11-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Hi Daniel :)

What do you recommend for people who have a very negative internal voice caused by a parent?

My mother is/was not abusive as such but suffers from such bad anxiety that it has passed onto me genetically and environmentally. When I get anxious I can actually hear her voice in my head saying negative, angry things. I'm 41yo now so I feel like I will never be able to change it, but I am becoming more aware of it.

Thanks in advance,
Gypsy

RealisticTrain
11-05-2014, 04:07 PM
I have a question now, So in another thread you posted that there is a type of seasonal Anxiety? In my "Its back" Thread I stated that it peaked about the same time last year, so I am noticing a trend. Is there something I can do or exercises I can do to help this along? I am in Hawaii so I get year round sun LOL so sun is not an issue. Thoughts?

We don't exactly know what causes seasonal depression or anxiety. Some hypothesize that it is a hibernation response, adapted from our ancestors. Some say it has something to do with the reproduction cycle. Who knows?

The best thing to do is to wait it out. If it's truly seasonal, your symptoms should normalize into the winter months. If they don't, you might have a bigger issue there.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
11-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Hi Daniel :)

What do you recommend for people who have a very negative internal voice caused by a parent?

My mother is/was not abusive as such but suffers from such bad anxiety that it has passed onto me genetically and environmentally. When I get anxious I can actually hear her voice in my head saying negative, angry things. I'm 41yo now so I feel like I will never be able to change it, but I am becoming more aware of it.

Thanks in advance,
Gypsy

Have you tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, or CBT? It might help. Talk to your doctor about it. He might refer you to a psychologist that actually administers the CBT, if you don't already have one.
-Dr. Dan

gypsylee
11-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Have you tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, or CBT? It might help. Talk to your doctor about it. He might refer you to a psychologist that actually administers the CBT, if you don't already have one.
-Dr. Dan

I've never tried it seriously. This was my guess though, thanks :)

RealisticTrain
11-05-2014, 06:26 PM
I've never tried it seriously. This was my guess though, thanks :)

Then I don't know what kind of doctors you're with because any competent psychiatrist can clearly see that this is ideal for CBT. good luck and keep us updated!
- Dr. Dan

gypsylee
11-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Then I don't know what kind of doctors you're with because any competent psychiatrist can clearly see that this is ideal for CBT. good luck and keep us updated!
- Dr. Dan

I'm not with any. My psychiatrist retired a few years ago and I didn't bother seeking another one. To be honest I'm a bit jaded about the medical profession and their competency in treating things like anxiety. Well I'm a bit jaded about their competency full stop lol.

I could write a whole essay on this :)

Thanks again, I will investigate CBT.

PanicCured
11-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Do tell us, how where you able to "cure" yourself? I'm sure many people here would like to know!
- Dr. Dan

Anxiety disorder is in fact a Dis-Ease of the body, maybe more correctly termed "disorder". It occurs when one is so sensitive that anxiety is triggered at incorrect times. That is the disorder. Simply doping someone up or telling them just to relax will not get to the underlying issue. I realize some people need medication so I am not against anxiety medication as a whole. What I am against is complete lack of any long term cure from medication. We can debate the term "cure" if you want. but it simply means one is debilitated from an anxiety disorder and then overcomes it and lives a normal life. That is cured in my book. This idea that one should only seek to learn to maintain their anxiety is also misguided information. I do not have to do anything anymore to keep my anxiety under control. It is simply non existent.

Yes, I realize the fight or flight response can occur in times of danger, but that is not a disorder. No more a disorder than if one's family member dies and they get depressed. That is a normal reaction, not a depression disorder. The disorder is what many people here experience, is they are sitting on the couch watching TV and all of a sudden out of nowhere the walls start caving in and then their heart goes to 160 BPM and they feel their head will explode and pace around the home running for a safe place in full on freak out mode. That is the fight or flight response triggered in the wrong way. THAT IS THE DISORDER! That improper trigger is what can be cured. There is no medication for a long term benefit for this. Only by natural means, not only supplements and herbs, but by certain lifestyle changes and certain behavior modifications will get one past anxiety. This is something doctors can not do. Besides CBT or other qualified anxiety therapists which can be a great help.

So call it what it is. Benzos offer temporary benefit for a few hours which can easily turn sour after a few months, and offer zero in the long term benefit. If one gets addicted than they will have a whole new set of problems to deal with. Again, I would never say nobody needs meds as I assume there is a time and place for them, but call it what it is. It is not a long term treatment. They are temporary band aids. I detailed my healing path in the stickies above how I went from anxiety/agoraphobic to what I consider normal, if you care to read.

RealisticTrain
11-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Anxiety disorder is in fact a Dis-Ease of the body, maybe more correctly termed "disorder". It occurs when one is so sensitive that anxiety is triggered at incorrect times. That is the disorder. Simply doping someone up or telling them just to relax will not get to the underlying issue. I realize some people need medication so I am not against anxiety medication as a whole. What I am against is complete lack of any long term cure from medication. We can debate the term "cure" if you want. but it simply means one is debilitated from an anxiety disorder and then overcomes it and lives a normal life. That is cured in my book. This idea that one should only seek to learn to maintain their anxiety is also misguided information. I do not have to do anything anymore to keep my anxiety under control. It is simply non existent.

Yes, I realize the fight or flight response can occur in times of danger, but that is not a disorder. No more a disorder than if one's family member dies and they get depressed. That is a normal reaction, not a depression disorder. The disorder is what many people here experience, is they are sitting on the couch watching TV and all of a sudden out of nowhere the walls start caving in and then their heart goes to 160 BPM and they feel their head will explode and pace around the home running for a safe place in full on freak out mode. That is the fight or flight response triggered in the wrong way. THAT IS THE DISORDER! That improper trigger is what can be cured. There is no medication for a long term benefit for this. Only by natural means, not only supplements and herbs, but by certain lifestyle changes and certain behavior modifications will get one past anxiety. This is something doctors can not do. Besides CBT or other qualified anxiety therapists which can be a great help.

So call it what it is. Benzos offer temporary benefit for a few hours which can easily turn sour after a few months, and offer zero in the long term benefit. If one gets addicted than they will have a whole new set of problems to deal with. Again, I would never say nobody needs meds as I assume there is a time and place for them, but call it what it is. It is not a long term treatment. They are temporary band aids. I detailed my healing path in the stickies above how I went from anxiety/agoraphobic to what I consider normal, if you care to read.

From a medical perspective, I completely agree; lifestyle changes and proper cognitive training are the gold standard for treatment for anxiety disorders. What you might not know however, is how many people there are that simply do not respond to CBT, or have tried all the lifestyle tips and are not improving. For these people, medication is their ONLY hope. Antidepressants such as SSRI's can and usually are taken long term, and are relatively safe.
On the opposite side, there are people, like yourself, who can get "cured" by the means you suggested, however they don't respond at all to medications. I know you look at me and think, oh this guy is getting paid by big pharma, yada, yada
That's not the case. I've never taken any offers from any drug company. But I do know the medicine. And I know it well. Med school will kill you financially and perhaps emotionally, but it will make you a true doctor. People believe in herbal treatments and hypnosis, whatever, well...doctors believe in the medicine.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
11-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Hi, thanks for the prompt response. The pain has always been an ache. never any pins and needles. The ache was originally very intense. Only rememdied by lying down as sitting tends to make the pains feel worse. My ex and I tested negative for STD's but we were having unprotected sex. Saw multiple Dr's at the sexual health clinic who told me the structure of the epididymis is almost like a cave netowrk and so infection can be hard to eradicate due to blood flow levels as well as it's composition.

My dr did once prescribe me something for nerve pains called amitriptyline. It gave me a bit of an odd side effect where after i'd go to the toilet I'd start noticing a dripping of urine which is obviously quite embaressing. Is Gabapentin in a different family of drugs?

Honestly the pain had subsided for about 3 months. Occasionally it'd ache very slightly for an hour or so. but this recent flare up seems possibly stress related. Friend's husband got testicular cancer. Which make me somewhat obsess over checking down there. The epididymis on that side remains swollen and with all the rather frantic checking the area then became extremely sore once again and 2 weeks later the pain remains even though the worry about cancer faded very quickly as the testes felt fine, the aches and pains continue to be quite prevalent.

I'm seeing my GP tomorrow who used to be a urologist. I'd just really like to try a medication free route but I wonder if that's not possible. I was told by all the Dr's that it could simply burn out eventually. i thought that'd already happened when the pain first subsided for a prolonged period. However I still remember the affected area remaining swollen and after examining the area each fortnight to check for abnormalities etc that it'd ache slightly for a while after checking. It just seems odd that the area still feels swollen (not the teste itself but the chords/tubes) but every Dr who checked said it felt "fine" and the ultra sound last year was fine and that's 6 different Dr's now who've checked.

Anyway, I appreciate your input. I'll have a word with the GP tomorrow, see what he could possibly recommend. It's a bit of a tough situation though. Knowing it could take years or decades for this to pass. I mean I'm comfortable being single until things clear up because after making love it feels like someone has taken a sledgehammer to my balls and remains that intense for days. Decades though? Ach...I guess nobody said life would be fair.

I asked Dr's about surgery but they said that can create additional problems and cause cysts post surgery. Read a few people on a forum of epididymitis sufferers who'd had the op and still had pain months/years later. perhaps it was similar to phantom limb syndrome. Maybe this is solely to do with the nerve endings? The consultant urologist said he'd book me in for physical therapy as there could be a lot of pelvic tension contributing to the issue. I was quite surprised however that he didn't even perform a physical examination on the testes. Months later and I still never got the letter about the physical therapy.

Ed

Ed,

I'm sorry to hear that you're in pain. Have you ever been prescribed opiate-based painkillers like oxycontin or morphine? These can help in the short term but they are not a sustainable long term solution. Unfortunately all you can do right now is manage the pain and hope it burns out sooner than later. There's nothing you can do to expedite the process. Let me know if you need help with anything else, Ed. Best of luck to you.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
11-05-2014, 10:54 PM
On another note, mods can we sticky this thread? Or someone who knows how to reach the mods, can you reach them and let them know?

PanicCured
11-06-2014, 05:52 AM
I do not agree with you. Medication does not cure an anxiety disorder and when you say people do not respond to other means, that is not true. That just did not do the proper work. They either simply found a way to avoid what needs to be done such as face their fears, or they simply have not been taught how, because doctors give them pills and tell them to just relax. Most people do not do what needs to be done. If you probe you will see. But the people that took initiative and went full speed, they get better. Even if there is a biochemical cause such as a thyroid issue, blood sugar issue, Vitamin D deficiency, etc., when you go full speed you end up finding this stuff out. What I mean is, if you are totally motivated to get better and you will seek every treatment you need and do everything possible in your life to overcome it, you will find what you need and you will get better.

"doctors believe in the medicine" But pharmaceuticals do not cure anxiety so what you believe is irrelevant. A cure means they do not need to take or do anything anymore, they are normal and their body has returned to a balanced state. Some people may need an SSRI or a Benzo, sure, but it is not a cure. SSRIs are not easy to get off either and calling it "discontinuation syndrome" may sound better than withdrawal but really is it?

I was hyperventilating all the time. Not one doctor said anything to me about this. I read a book on Buteyko breathing techniques, practiced it for 5 days and my anxiety cut in half. I then continuted to practice it and learned to not overbreathe, which can lead to anxiety. And as you know, oxygen is released from the hemoglobin via the CO2 partial pressure difference, and when one overbreathes, too much CO2 is released, which causes oxygen molecules to not be released to your organs and brain from the red blood cells. The more I hyperventilated the less oxygen my body was getting. The dizzyness, and many symptoms in a panic attack have to do with too much CO2 being released from too much breathing. When I did exercises to underbreathe, such as with the Buteyko method, I was able to slowly retrain my respiratory centers of my brain, and more oxygen was released. I could feel warmth throughout my body after about 10-15 minutes of doing it. I did these exercises at least twice a day. Most importantly, I learned to breathe through my nose and keep my breathing calm and not to overbreathe. The old paper bag thing. Although I suppose that is considered not safe anymore to breathe into a paper bag. Little things like this are true healing. Learning that when a panic attack comes, to sit and be still and ride it out rather than run for a safe place.

It's like someone who is scared to fly. The worst thing to do is not fly. They need to get educated and then fly and deal with it. But a lot of people with anxiety mold their life to their disorder. This causes the disorder to go deeper. They put limits on themselves because, "I have anxiety so I do not do that." There is a lot more, but I have wrote it all elsewhere on this site. My point is, there is real healing and it works, but the person has to be willing to do the work. and let's face it, a lot of people simply won't go full speed and want instant relief. But why don't doctors say here is a Benzo to take for the temporary relief but take only of you need it, but here is the list of what you must do to reap long term benefit. The goal should be to eventually not need anything. Yet we have the whole addiction aspect of it which throws the whole thing off.

Although certain herbs and supplements can do what medication can't, which is nourish and heal the overly sensitive nervous system, ultimately, the most important is retraining the brain by changing behavior patterns and facing their fears with proper knowledge.

A simple as this sounds, it works. I wrote this a while ago. Practicing techniques like this, is what I consider true healing and this begins with a mindset to do whatever it takes: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?9512-The-Quick-Guide-to-Stopping-Panic-Attacks

Dahila
11-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Panic cured you never agree with anyone, your purpose on this forum is to convince everyone that your are right. :)) People avoid discussing with your for a good reason:))
I just send the message about making it sticky, maybe it will work. :)

Exactice
11-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Panic cured you never agree with anyone, your purpose on this forum is to convince everyone that your are right. :)) People avoid discussing with your for a good reason:))

OH and I thought I was the only one, this guy pissed me off in another thread, But I realized he is a hypocrite. Anyways Hopefully we just ignore home and keep this awesome thread active as there are members here trying to help!

Dahila
11-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Exactice just ignore him, he upsets or was upsetting me too, it is in the past. I commented for the benefit of others, especially Realistic Train:)

gypsylee
11-07-2014, 04:03 AM
LOL

As much as PanicCured is a shit-stirrer, I agree with him in that doctors overlook some of the simple things related to anxiety disorder.

I saw GPs, psychiatrists and psychologists about it for twenty years and *not one* of them tried to explain the nervous system to me. I did some research last year into how deep breathing works on anxiety and learned things that I really wished someone had told me years ago. I've been on every psych medication under the sun and had some very bad experiences with them. Perhaps this could've been avoided if someone had told me to learn how to breathe properly and explained how it works.

raggamuffin
11-07-2014, 05:11 AM
Not sure Dr's would prescribe me any opiate pain killers. Don't think I'd want to take them anyway. Just hard knowing I could have this chronic pain for decades. It adds to depression, knowing that basically I can't function as a man due to the pain the epididymitis causes which means I couldn't have sex unless I want to be in near crippling pain for days afterwards. Makes me rather resentful when I see people in couples or friends talking about dating and relationships. it's something I'd like once anxiety and depression is more manageable and yet I don't think I'm going to be able to do that again fort a very long time.

Oh well, i'll speak to the GP about the nerve blocker medication and see what they suggest cos it's very hard going on like this. This recent flare up is quite bad.

Ed

RealisticTrain
11-07-2014, 05:55 AM
LOL

As much as PanicCured is a shit-stirrer, I agree with him in that doctors overlook some of the simple things related to anxiety disorder.

I saw GPs, psychiatrists and psychologists about it for twenty years and *not one* of them tried to explain the nervous system to me. I did some research last year into how deep breathing works on anxiety and learned things that I really wished someone had told me years ago. I've been on every psych medication under the sun and had some very bad experiences with them. Perhaps this could've been avoided if someone had told me to learn how to breathe properly and explained how it works.

Doctors and psychiatrists do get a bad rep when it comes to mental health. And believe me, we know this. You must understand that over the ages, medicine has always been "practical", as in, solutions to problems that you can see and easily diagnose.

Mental health is much more difficult to diagnose and treat simply because there is so much we don't know about it. In addition, we as doctors can only treat what you tell us you feel; in other words, it's not like a tumour where it's physically present and we can find it.

But above all, doctors get a bad rep simply because of how frusturated patients are that there is so little research and development to create better medicine. We still use antidepressants that are decades old. And they don't work as well as we'd like them to. Trust me, we know that. There's just not much that we can do.

Patients come to doctors to get relief, and get it quickly. Our job is to do everything we can on the medical side to help you as soon as possible. But teaching yourself how to cope with anxiety takes a tremendous amount of effort and time. And that mental will power is inherently reduced by sufferers of mental disorders. Quite literally, the very nature of the disease is to weaken your mind and body to the point where you just can't help yourself. And that's where the medicine comes in. And we know about the herbs and supplements and alternative treatments, but there just isn't enough proof that they work for a lot of people. If it works for you, you're one of the lucky ones. But for millions of Americans, antidepressants have had a significant positive impact on their lives...and they've brought many people back to a normal life from the deepest pits of despair.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
11-07-2014, 06:10 AM
Not sure Dr's would prescribe me any opiate pain killers. Don't think I'd want to take them anyway. Just hard knowing I could have this chronic pain for decades. It adds to depression, knowing that basically I can't function as a man due to the pain the epididymitis causes which means I couldn't have sex unless I want to be in near crippling pain for days afterwards. Makes me rather resentful when I see people in couples or friends talking about dating and relationships. it's something I'd like once anxiety and depression is more manageable and yet I don't think I'm going to be able to do that again fort a very long time.

Oh well, i'll speak to the GP about the nerve blocker medication and see what they suggest cos it's very hard going on like this. This recent flare up is quite bad.

Ed

Ed,

Have you tried anti-inflammatory medication such as certain steroids? They might help in some cases. If it really becomes unbearable, surgery might be the only way to go. Patients frequently freeze their sperm before the surgery to use in the future for reproduction, but sterility almost always means a complete loss of sexual drive or ability. Medically, I would recommend pain-killers to deal with the pain and to wait it out. It's just less risky than surgery, and obviously less painful. There are side-effects, but many people manage pain with opiates for years and are able to function quite normally. It's definately a discussion you should have with your doctor. All the best to you.
- Dr. Dan

raggamuffin
11-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Would you be able to recommend a possible steroid that might have some effect? Post surgery would mean no sex drive or ability? That's pretty horrific. The Dr gave me gabapentin. x84 300 mg tablets. Said to start with one tonight. Then 2 tomorrow and then 3 from then on wards.

Would you recommend Gabapentin over long term pain killer use? My dad has been on a concoction of medications for over 40 years and he's 79 now so I know people can get along with them fine. I just never really wanted to be on a medication long term, it doesn't sit right with me.

But if it's that or being in pain chronically I guess I would have to take the medication route. Thanks again for your help on this. If you could let me know about the steroid options I'd be grateful.

Ed

PanicCured
11-08-2014, 05:08 AM

Dahlia my purpose is to help others like others helped me. You just want to make it a challenge rather than listening to common sense. I agree with people that had anxiety and then now they do not. If doctors can cure anxiety nobody here would have anxiety. Actually nobody in the world would as all you would have to do is go see a doctor and you are all patched up. If you only just followed the advice I gave you about a year ago you would be anxiety free by now. But you'd rather spend your time fighting me and all common logic instead of getting better. You are a great example of someone who would rather be right than be happy. My methods work, as they are based on the only methods that work. Every book, program or anything that helps people get past anxiety all say the same stuff. A doctor can't get you there. If you just followed my stuff you would be better. Or Just follow anyone's methods that had anxiety and then now they don't. But this is just annoying to you. I'll come back in 5 years and you will still be on this website.

PanicCured
11-08-2014, 05:13 AM
OH and I thought I was the only one, this guy pissed me off in another thread, But I realized he is a hypocrite. Anyways Hopefully we just ignore home and keep this awesome thread active as there are members here trying to help!

Oh I pissed you off in MY THREAD? I wrote great advice and you took up 3 pages explaining that anxiety can be a normal fight or flight response. Like who doesn't know this? Another guy who talks and talks but doesn't listen. Maybe if you stop talking one day and listen to those giving you good advice you may finally graduate off this site.

PanicCured
11-08-2014, 05:22 AM
If you read what I wrote here and this bothers you or annoys you or you think it should be ignored, you have some serious issues! There is so much solid advice in there I can't even believe you would say ignore me. Really unbelievable! What is better this or every other thread asking if they are going to die?

I do not agree with you. Medication does not cure an anxiety disorder and when you say people do not respond to other means, that is not true. That just did not do the proper work. They either simply found a way to avoid what needs to be done such as face their fears, or they simply have not been taught how, because doctors give them pills and tell them to just relax. Most people do not do what needs to be done. If you probe you will see. But the people that took initiative and went full speed, they get better. Even if there is a biochemical cause such as a thyroid issue, blood sugar issue, Vitamin D deficiency, etc., when you go full speed you end up finding this stuff out. What I mean is, if you are totally motivated to get better and you will seek every treatment you need and do everything possible in your life to overcome it, you will find what you need and you will get better.

"doctors believe in the medicine" But pharmaceuticals do not cure anxiety so what you believe is irrelevant. A cure means they do not need to take or do anything anymore, they are normal and their body has returned to a balanced state. Some people may need an SSRI or a Benzo, sure, but it is not a cure. SSRIs are not easy to get off either and calling it "discontinuation syndrome" may sound better than withdrawal but really is it?

I was hyperventilating all the time. Not one doctor said anything to me about this. I read a book on Buteyko breathing techniques, practiced it for 5 days and my anxiety cut in half. I then continuted to practice it and learned to not overbreathe, which can lead to anxiety. And as you know, oxygen is released from the hemoglobin via the CO2 partial pressure difference, and when one overbreathes, too much CO2 is released, which causes oxygen molecules to not be released to your organs and brain from the red blood cells. The more I hyperventilated the less oxygen my body was getting. The dizzyness, and many symptoms in a panic attack have to do with too much CO2 being released from too much breathing. When I did exercises to underbreathe, such as with the Buteyko method, I was able to slowly retrain my respiratory centers of my brain, and more oxygen was released. I could feel warmth throughout my body after about 10-15 minutes of doing it. I did these exercises at least twice a day. Most importantly, I learned to breathe through my nose and keep my breathing calm and not to overbreathe. The old paper bag thing. Although I suppose that is considered not safe anymore to breathe into a paper bag. Little things like this are true healing. Learning that when a panic attack comes, to sit and be still and ride it out rather than run for a safe place.

It's like someone who is scared to fly. The worst thing to do is not fly. They need to get educated and then fly and deal with it. But a lot of people with anxiety mold their life to their disorder. This causes the disorder to go deeper. They put limits on themselves because, "I have anxiety so I do not do that." There is a lot more, but I have wrote it all elsewhere on this site. My point is, there is real healing and it works, but the person has to be willing to do the work. and let's face it, a lot of people simply won't go full speed and want instant relief. But why don't doctors say here is a Benzo to take for the temporary relief but take only of you need it, but here is the list of what you must do to reap long term benefit. The goal should be to eventually not need anything. Yet we have the whole addiction aspect of it which throws the whole thing off.

Although certain herbs and supplements can do what medication can't, which is nourish and heal the overly sensitive nervous system, ultimately, the most important is retraining the brain by changing behavior patterns and facing their fears with proper knowledge.

A simple as this sounds, it works. I wrote this a while ago. Practicing techniques like this, is what I consider true healing and this begins with a mindset to do whatever it takes: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?9512-The-Quick-Guide-to-Stopping-Panic-Attacks

gemma1788
11-08-2014, 05:40 AM
I'm sorry PanicCured but you are a waste of time. If Dahlia is doing so badly and hasn't "graduated off this site" what does that say about you? What are you still doing on here. If anxiety is non existent you wouldn't feel the need to be on this site. Much less still posting many years after you are "cured". Beat it.

Try_Repeat
11-08-2014, 06:15 AM
Patients come to doctors to get relief, and get it quickly. Our job is to do everything we can on the medical side to help you as soon as possible. But teaching yourself how to cope with anxiety takes a tremendous amount of effort and time. And that mental will power is inherently reduced by sufferers of mental disorders. Quite literally, the very nature of the disease is to weaken your mind and body to the point where you just can't help yourself. And that's where the medicine comes in. And we know about the herbs and supplements and alternative treatments, but there just isn't enough proof that they work for a lot of people. If it works for you, you're one of the lucky ones. But for millions of Americans, antidepressants have had a significant positive impact on their lives...and they've brought many people back to a normal life from the deepest pits of despair.
- Dr. Dan

Hi Dr. Dan. It is interesting topic! And I hope you will answer my few questions.

1) What is the mechanics of using antidepressants? Ye, I know that they regulate serotonin level and level of other neurotransmitters. But I mean therapeutic effect. What happens when person stops using antidepressants? Her chemical balance just states to normal after that? How? These are just pills which provide temporary effect. How they can work after you stop using them? I guess it is just a painkiller. People should use it all of his life in order not to feel anxiety? Are there some scientific evidence that people get better after quitting antidepressants than they were before starting them?

I don't really want to argue with you. I need that information for my working activity.=)

As a person who overcame panic disorder I can't just agree with everything you said and can't just pass by. But it is not necessary that you answer my further questions. It's good that you try to help people, and I value it. Better to channel your energy on helping people on this forum than arguing with me or someone else. But if you have time and will after answering to people who have trouble, you can take into account following:

2) You mentioned that not everyone is effected by CBT therapy for example. But it attempts to change the reaction towards your panic and fear. If we change reaction to it, know how to relax ourself, we will benefit. Everyone will benefit, no matter what kind of person is it. So it is just a matter of time and patience.
3) Requirements for using willpower and patience in treatment are actually not disadvantages. These qualities are essential for long-term success in fighting anxiety. And searching for magic pill, quick solutions are the real disadvantages. If a person doesn't want to devote some time and work towards getting rid of anxiety, he will be completely helpless in front of new stress, new panic attacks. Again and again he will look for new pills.
4) You said that therapy don't work for everyone. But do antidepressants? I know a lot of people who went from one medicines to other, and it didn't help. They tried different pills but no help. Some of them got just addictions and unpleasant side effects (like troubles with libido and erection, that boosted their anxiety even more!)

Try_Repeat
11-08-2014, 06:20 AM
I'm sorry PanicCured but you are a waste of time. If Dahlia is doing so badly and hasn't "graduated off this site" what does that say about you? What are you still doing on here. If anxiety is non existent you wouldn't feel the need to be on this site. Much less still posting many years after you are "cured". Beat it.

Well I didn't read his other posts. Maybe he pissed off someone in other topic, I don't know. But here, I think, his posts make some sense.

Dahila
11-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Oh I pissed you off in MY THREAD? I wrote great advice and you took up 3 pages explaining that anxiety can be a normal fight or flight response. Like who doesn't know this? Another guy who talks and talks but doesn't listen. Maybe if you stop talking one day and listen to those giving you good advice you may finally graduate off this site.
It would be the same advice to you Panic; just listen. Give it a try, you would be surprised what simple listening can do:)
Man I do not believe in bs you write, I am here not because I suffer but because I found the way to deal with it. Maybe you try to be more positive, some people are here for others, I am not sure I will be alive in 5 years:))
BTW there is not such thing as MY THREAD; it is public forum. I am worried that you will hack this thread the same way you do with any popular thread.

I am the one tha AD do not work well. I actually can not be on them due strong reaction, and major side effects. I would like to know how they work so Try Repeat questions are valid, please answer when you have time:)
The thread is fantastic

RealisticTrain
11-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Hi Dr. Dan. It is interesting topic! And I hope you will answer my few questions.

1) What is the mechanics of using antidepressants? Ye, I know that they regulate serotonin level and level of other neurotransmitters. But I mean therapeutic effect. What happens when person stops using antidepressants? Her chemical balance just states to normal after that? How? These are just pills which provide temporary effect. How they can work after you stop using them? I guess it is just a painkiller. People should use it all of his life in order not to feel anxiety? Are there some scientific evidence that people get better after quitting antidepressants than they were before starting them?

I don't really want to argue with you. I need that information for my working activity.=)

As a person who overcame panic disorder I can't just agree with everything you said and can't just pass by. But it is not necessary that you answer my further questions. It's good that you try to help people, and I value it. Better to channel your energy on helping people on this forum than arguing with me or someone else. But if you have time and will after answering to people who have trouble, you can take into account following:

2) You mentioned that not everyone is effected by CBT therapy for example. But it attempts to change the reaction towards your panic and fear. If we change reaction to it, know how to relax ourself, we will benefit. Everyone will benefit, no matter what kind of person is it. So it is just a matter of time and patience.
3) Requirements for using willpower and patience in treatment are actually not disadvantages. These qualities are essential for long-term success in fighting anxiety. And searching for magic pill, quick solutions are the real disadvantages. If a person doesn't want to devote some time and work towards getting rid of anxiety, he will be completely helpless in front of new stress, new panic attacks. Again and again he will look for new pills.
4) You said that therapy don't work for everyone. But do antidepressants? I know a lot of people who went from one medicines to other, and it didn't help. They tried different pills but no help. Some of them got just addictions and unpleasant side effects (like troubles with libido and erection, that boosted their anxiety even more!)

The best theory that we have right now is the monoamine hypothesis which, in a nutshell, says that there are three main neurotransmitters (serotonin, dopamine, noradrenaline) that regulate our mood, energy and how we feel. Deficits in one or more of these are believed to lead to many of the dominant mental disorders, primarily depression.

Here's the kicker, and it really shows just how little we know about the inner workings of the mind: the only validation of this theory is that when patients were given medication to block the re uptake of serotonin, they felt better. That's it. That's literally the best we got.

You might ask, why so many -and so many different types- of antidepressants? Well we think that everyone is different in terms of what neurotransmitters should be increased; some react well to bupropion, a mild stimulant that works on noradrenaline and to a lesser extent, on the dopamine transporter, or DAT. Some react well to SNRI's, which block the re uptake of both serotonin and noradrenaline. Others still just benefit from traditional SSRI's that work mainly on serotonin.

Generally speaking, when one goes off antidepressants, they frequently face a difficult withdrawal period. Re uptake is enabled again and the brain struggles to reach a level state. Most people actually mistake this period for the return of their depression or anxiety, which is not the case. Once withdrawal has worn off, generally speaking, most people feel relatively normal. We suspect this occurs because the brain's serotonin levels are different than they were before the medication was started. Not increased, but different. Relapses do occur however; some relapse in a couple months, some in a couple years, and some never do. When relapse occurs and patients go back on the medication that worked for them, they will find relief again. Many people stay on SSRI's for decades. They are relatively safe long-term drugs.
- Dr. Dan

Kuma
11-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Dan - I just wanted to thank you for continuing to contribute to this site. Without intending to denigrate the contributions that anyone else makes here, in my opinion your contributions are -- by a long margin -- the most useful I have seen on this forum.

I hope that you will not be dissuaded from continuing to contribute here by a few people who don't like doctors or don't like medications etc.

Best regards,
K

JohnC
11-10-2014, 08:31 AM
I was on Paxil for 10 years and slowly tapered off ( withdrawal sucked ). I do still suffer but i think for now i will stay off of them ( SSRI ) mostly because i did not like the weight gain.

Exactice
11-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Dan - I just wanted to thank you for continuing to contribute to this site. Without intending to denigrate the contributions that anyone else makes here, in my opinion your contributions are -- by a long margin -- the most useful I have seen on this forum.

I hope that you will not be dissuaded from continuing to contribute here by a few people who don't like doctors or don't like medications etc.

Best regards,
K

100% Kuma and the rest that supports lets keep the positive vibes going! Some people are doing well too help others!!!! Thank you DAN for all you do I truly appreciate it!

crystal12345
11-10-2014, 12:38 PM
hi just wondering if anyone who suffers from a generalized anxiety disorder or hypochondria like myself ever get slanted vision when they are feeling anxious. I dont know wether its to do with anxiety or not but ive been to doctors and hospital and they cant figure out what it is

PanicCured
11-10-2014, 03:30 PM
It would be the same advice to you Panic; just listen. Give it a try, you would be surprised what simple listening can do:)
Man I do not believe in bs you write, I am here not because I suffer but because I found the way to deal with it. Maybe you try to be more positive, some people are here for others, I am not sure I will be alive in 5 years:))
BTW there is not such thing as MY THREAD; it is public forum. I am worried that you will hack this thread the same way you do with any popular thread.

You are just a mean nasty bully in the school yard. That is all you are to me. I was trying to have an intellectual discussion with the doctor and I am sure you did not even read what I wrote. I wrote a good post with lots of content to discuss with him and than you try and bully me. I never write BS like you say. Only bullies like you try and harass me every single time I try and post something with good content and well thought out all the while not understanding a single thing I ever write.

Go ahead. Give me the last word! Go ahead and prove me how right you are and how horrible I am. WOW! I talked to the doctor about drugs vs. Healing. I am such a criminal.

Ok give me the last word since you always have the last word. You are just a bully. Luckily your tactics to dominate and abuse me have no effect on me.

Dahila
11-10-2014, 07:03 PM
ok I forgive you :)) that's my last words to u panic, :))

Edmontongirl
11-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Hello, thank you so much fomuch offering to help. I have a question, sometimes I get this really heavy feeling in my head, like there's water in there and I can't focus. It will last for days (like right now). I feel dizzy , groggy and just like crap. My head also hurts and then these symptoms trigger panic :( how do I know I'f I am having a stroke?

RealisticTrain
11-13-2014, 08:13 AM
Hello, thank you so much fomuch offering to help. I have a question, sometimes I get this really heavy feeling in my head, like there's water in there and I can't focus. It will last for days (like right now). I feel dizzy , groggy and just like crap. My head also hurts and then these symptoms trigger panic :( how do I know I'f I am having a stroke?

Stroke symptoms are very unique, and you are most likely feeling this way because you begin to feel anxious about the symptoms you do have (which don't seem to indicate stroke) and that in turn heightens your perception of them and they begin to feel much worse than they really are. For a stroke, early symptoms are drooping face or lips, sudden numbness or weakness in the arms, and speech difficulty -none of which you seem to have. If you are still concerned, visit your doctor.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
11-13-2014, 08:17 AM
hi just wondering if anyone who suffers from a generalized anxiety disorder or hypochondria like myself ever get slanted vision when they are feeling anxious. I dont know wether its to do with anxiety or not but ive been to doctors and hospital and they cant figure out what it is

Slanted vision is not a common symptom of anxiety, unlike blurred vision. If you are still concerned and would like a professional to give you a look, consider visiting an optometrist (eye doctor).
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
11-14-2014, 08:54 PM

Best regards,
K

No problem at all! Although I do wish this thread was stickied so more people can get help and it doesn't get lost within the forum.

jessed03
11-15-2014, 04:04 AM
No problem at all! Although I do wish this thread was stickied so more people can get help and it doesn't get lost within the forum.

Congrats on getting your wish, doctor. :)

Dahila
11-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Congrats our good doc:)) it is sticky as you see:)

Joe.
11-15-2014, 04:34 PM
So mods are active now?

Dahila
11-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Mods were always active :))

Scoofynewfie
11-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Hello RT ..... I also have a question. I am 49 years old and have dealt with anxiety off and on for 20 years now. I also have had a significant fear of death for as long as I can remember. A few years ago my husband aunt who was terminally ill passed away with me by her side. While at the time I was impressed with the process of her death and it didn't seem as bad as I had thought. Within 6 months I was driving on the freeway and felt like something was pushing my head to the side (thought it was an inner ear issue) which triggered my anxiety and panic so I pulled off and drove side streets the rest of the way home. The closer I got the better I felt so I knew it was anxiety related. Within a week of that episode, I was mentally paralyzed. I was afraid of literally everything ..... driving, public places, the woods in my backyard, everything I looked at I immediately thought of something negative (for instance if I drove by a body of water I would instantly think there might be a body in there ), and I couldn't touch a sharp object of any kind . Now as I do have that fear of death and I value my life , I would never ever hurt myself or anyone or anything ...... but why was I afraid of everything all of a sudden. I did go to counseling for a few months and we felt that distraction is my best friend. I do find when I am at work around the public I am much better. It continues to be a minor struggle every day ..... at least something I think about daily. Things are much better than a year ago, but I just can never get anyone to give their opinion on what happened. The counselor had thought maybe a minor PTSD thing with dealing with his aunts death...... but Im not sure. My anxiety in years past has always been relatively manageable ..... this time it really scared me. Thanks for any input you might have :-)

1Bluerose68
11-15-2014, 08:51 PM
How do I get myself to attend mass again after dealing with my closest family members funerals at 1 parish and my other parish is my former elementary school and jr H.S parish. It just brings back so much old stuff, and I dont really want to drive to another city either. The 1 place I would love to go is near the theme park, and has a huge statue made of metal of the Blessed Virgin Mary.But, i don't know how to drive that far away, as I am an agoraphobic, of course..

laurendoesntknow
11-22-2014, 07:37 AM
Hi! I was wondering if you could help me with something...
I'm scratching myself in my sleep to the point I wake up with a face covered in blood and red pillows.. I've cut all my nails off and even tried wearing gloves but they always fall off. I'm only 15, so I'm still living with my mum and she is gettting andgry about it and i dont reallly know how to stop! I made a post about it, if you want to look at that, but no one responded (yet).
thanks so much in advance/anyway!!
lara (15)

imcoolksk16
11-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Hello everyone...I am sharath from india ..I joined this forum to clarify few doubts with the experts pertaining to that field. Basically i am no from medical background . I work in automobile company and i need some information for my research.
Here goes my first question....
1) Can you please give me details regarding temporary shock or anxiety in human when he is about to meet accident or unexpected things. I have felt this personally many times while riding bike. When i see a sudden vehicle in front of my bike i feel temporary numbness in heart for 1 sec and then i evade away the bike to avoid accident.
I dont know if i alone have experienced this or there are many out here who felt the same.
Kindly share me details regarding this shock.

Thanks in advance.
sharath kumar

RealisticTrain
11-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Hello everyone...I am sharath from india ..I joined this forum to clarify few doubts with the experts pertaining to that field. Basically i am no from medical background . I work in automobile company and i need some information for my research.
Here goes my first question....
1) Can you please give me details regarding temporary shock or anxiety in human when he is about to meet accident or unexpected things. I have felt this personally many times while riding bike. When i see a sudden vehicle in front of my bike i feel temporary numbness in heart for 1 sec and then i evade away the bike to avoid accident.
I dont know if i alone have experienced this or there are many out here who felt the same.
Kindly share me details regarding this shock.

Thanks in advance.
sharath kumar

Sharath, your reaction while riding a bicycle is completely normal. It is as a result of a sudden surge of adrenalin that floods your brain and prepares you to get out of any trouble.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
11-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Hi! I was wondering if you could help me with something...
I'm scratching myself in my sleep to the point I wake up with a face covered in blood and red pillows.. I've cut all my nails off and even tried wearing gloves but they always fall off. I'm only 15, so I'm still living with my mum and she is gettting andgry about it and i dont reallly know how to stop! I made a post about it, if you want to look at that, but no one responded (yet).
thanks so much in advance/anyway!!
lara (15)

Hi Lara,

Tell me, do you find yourself scratching during the day? Would you say that you are doing it consciously or sub-consiously? If you don't know what these words mean, basically when you extend your arm to push a button, you are doing that consciously -you are fully aware that you are doing it. When you breathe normally, that's a subconscious movement -in other words, most of the time you don't realize that you are doing it. Answer these questions first so I can have a better idea of what's going on.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
11-22-2014, 03:36 PM
How do I get myself to attend mass again after dealing with my closest family members funerals at 1 parish and my other parish is my former elementary school and jr H.S parish. It just brings back so much old stuff, and I dont really want to drive to another city either. The 1 place I would love to go is near the theme park, and has a huge statue made of metal of the Blessed Virgin Mary.But, i don't know how to drive that far away, as I am an agoraphobic, of course..

Ask your doctor about CBT,especially exposure therapy.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
11-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Hello RT ..... I also have a question. I am 49 years old and have dealt with anxiety off and on for 20 years now. I also have had a significant fear of death for as long as I can remember. A few years ago my husband aunt who was terminally ill passed away with me by her side. While at the time I was impressed with the process of her death and it didn't seem as bad as I had thought. Within 6 months I was driving on the freeway and felt like something was pushing my head to the side (thought it was an inner ear issue) which triggered my anxiety and panic so I pulled off and drove side streets the rest of the way home. The closer I got the better I felt so I knew it was anxiety related. Within a week of that episode, I was mentally paralyzed. I was afraid of literally everything ..... driving, public places, the woods in my backyard, everything I looked at I immediately thought of something negative (for instance if I drove by a body of water I would instantly think there might be a body in there ), and I couldn't touch a sharp object of any kind . Now as I do have that fear of death and I value my life , I would never ever hurt myself or anyone or anything ...... but why was I afraid of everything all of a sudden. I did go to counseling for a few months and we felt that distraction is my best friend. I do find when I am at work around the public I am much better. It continues to be a minor struggle every day ..... at least something I think about daily. Things are much better than a year ago, but I just can never get anyone to give their opinion on what happened. The counselor had thought maybe a minor PTSD thing with dealing with his aunts death...... but Im not sure. My anxiety in years past has always been relatively manageable ..... this time it really scared me. Thanks for any input you might have :-)

Basing off only what you told me, I'm not necessarily convinced that you have true blue PTSD. People with PTSD suffer from constant, pervasive and un-welcome thoughts of their traumatic experiences. They tend to have the same dreams most nights of the week, their subconscious playing back the traumatic event like a never-ending tape reel, in an effort to cope. They get sudden and vivid flashbacks without warning. Elements of their traumatic experience might also serve as triggers, like a veteran choosing to stay inside on Independence Day because the fireworks brings back those difficult emotions.

Fear of death is perfectly normal. What I believe happened to you is that you had a slight panic attack on the highway, and that panic is now fuelling your anxiety. If I were your doctor (and I'm NOT, you have to be clear of that), I might think you have a case of panic disorder with some accompanying agoraphobia. This is not a clinical diagnosis, it's just my personal opinion based only off of what you told me. Please check with your own doctor and get his opinion before you attempt any treatment based off of what I told you. Hope this helps and good luck :)
- Dr. Dan

Scoofynewfie
11-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Thank you so much RT and yes I do plan on talking to my doctor again ....... now that it has been a year, I want to touch base anyway and update him on whats been going on. I guess since I just have never experienced fear to this extreme , especially of everything ...... and every thought I had was about death of something or someone it seemed ...... it was all very confusing. I know the mind can do all sorts of things ..... even with anxiety for instance, the day you experience a panic attack they tell me may have nothing to do with what happened that day ..... it could be something from weeks or months prior. Kindof interesting too because when I was coming home from nursing school that day on the interstate ..... it was about 5 days earlier that they were showing an autopsy on video in class and I had to leave the room ..... simply couldn't handle it. I always figured everything was based around my fear of death ...... and its not at all about "how" one dies ..... its the process and the fact that I really really don't want it to happen .... to anyone. My grandparents are all gone now and my mother who I am the closest with is now the oldest in the family and it rips me apart to think of her ever passing away . I wish I know of a way to mentally prepare, because I seriously don't know that I will be able to handle that.
Anyway, sorry for babbling ...... thank you so much for your insight ! Good luck with your career !!!

zac1234
11-23-2014, 01:07 AM
Hi daniel,

For the past 2 to 3 months i have experience 24/7 dizziness, fatigue, sudden dizzy spells, head pressure, anxiety, social anxiety, panic attacks, out of body feelings, feeling very distant, slight depression, sudden mood changes, sinus troubles, the list goes on. I have been to doctors and been told that its all due to anxiety, which I'm not against but rather skeptical, was just wondering your opinion, can all these symptoms actually be caused by anxiety?

Joe.
11-23-2014, 03:58 AM
Hi daniel,

For the past 2 to 3 months i have experience 24/7 dizziness, fatigue, sudden dizzy spells, head pressure, anxiety, social anxiety, panic attacks, out of body feelings, feeling very distant, slight depression, sudden mood changes, sinus troubles, the list goes on. I have been to doctors and been told that its all due to anxiety, which I'm not against but rather skeptical, was just wondering your opinion, can all these symptoms actually be caused by anxiety?

You said yourself anxiety right? All the mental experiences like fear, panic, mood changes and anxiety are almost certainly due to anxiety of some sort. I advise you to make sure the physical symptoms are not underlying medical problems and then you know exactly what direction to go with improving your life.

Damavandi
11-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Hi Lauren...:

You may be allergic to your pillow. Do you use a feather pillow ?
I remember using a feather pillow many years ago, and I was allergic to it.

Best wishes,
Ali

laurendoesntknow
11-23-2014, 10:58 AM
Hi! thanks for replying :)
i do, but i'll only realise im doing it when someone points it out, so i dont think about it, so its subconsious? its normally more like at my hands though, and it would only leave small cuts compared to the ones on my face and neck.
I also used to do the same thing with my pulling my hair, id pull it out without realising and then have a hand with hair in. so basically, yes.
thanks,
lara

laurendoesntknow
11-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Hi Lauren...:

You may be allergic to your pillow. Do you use a feather pillow ?
I remember using a feather pillow many years ago, and I was allergic to it.

Best wishes,
Ali

hi ali, no my pillow is polyester, but thanks for the suggestion! I think polyester is hypoallergenic, but im not sure, and im not sure how to test it out either..
thanks,
lara

Damavandi
11-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Hi Lara:

It really could be an allergic reaction to what you have under your head. Try not to use any pillows for a few nights.
You may stuff your pillow case with some clothes, if that helps. Try it out, it could be the cure !

Ali

laurendoesntknow
11-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Hi Lara:

It really could be an allergic reaction to what you have under your head. Try not to use any pillows for a few nights.
You may stuff your pillow case with some clothes, if that helps. Try it out, it could be the cure !

Ali

Ill try it out tonight! thanks for the advice! :)

zac1234
11-23-2014, 05:13 PM
I just didn't think it was possible for anxiety to cause such constant physical symptoms, they have been present for 2 months, without any relief

RealisticTrain
11-23-2014, 06:00 PM
I just didn't think it was possible for anxiety to cause such constant physical symptoms, they have been present for 2 months, without any relief

Lara,

I'm afraid that there is nothing I can help you with anymore in this capacity, as I don't know any of your medical history or any other information. Seems to me like this issue might be a little complicated, and I strongly advise you to talk to your doctor or psychiatrist about this as soon as possible so they can help you. Wishing you all the best.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
11-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Hi daniel,

All of the symptoms you've mentioned point to anxiety. In fact, when you start convincing yourself that it might not be anxiety, and signs of something worse, you'll get even more anxious and this will continue to feed the loop of worry and anxiety. Believe it or not, us doctors do know a thing or two about your health, and you shouldn't be too quick to dismiss our opinions :) All the best,
- Dr. Dan

cody-anxiety
12-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Hello Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to listen. For the past 3 months, I have been dealing with high anxiety. My anxiety leads me to Google what I am experiencing / feeling in search of answers. Unfortunately, Googling anxiety also has brought me to some dark places. I often worry that I may be developing Schizophrenia or another serious psychotic illness because my anxiety symptoms mimics these conditions closely. For instance, I get dizzy, emotional, detached from reality, blurred vision, feelings of fear that I may accidentally harm someone, etc. when going through these anxiety spells.

Is there anything I can do to either confirm or deny that I am developing a psychotic illness? Do those with psychotic illnesses know they are developing psychotic illnesses?

BTW - I am currently seeing a Therapist

superchick22684
12-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Hi Daniel,
Thank you for lending your expertise to this message board. I had a question about medication. I've been taking 60 mg of Cymbalta for over two months now for anxiety and depression. I had an appointment with my doctor yesterday for a med check. My anxiety has improved but I've still had a handful of panic attacks over the last two months. On the depression front I've gone from being depressed most of the time to fluctuating between depression and a neutral mood where I'm basically apathetic. I'm stuck in the neutral mood more often than not.

My doctor decided to prescribe Buspar in addition to the Cymbalta because I've been exhibiting signs of agoraphobia (which I have a history of) and I also have a slew of phobias. My script is for 10mg and I'm supposed to take them 3 times a day. I was wondering if there is a high risk of serotonin syndrome taking Cymbalta and Buspar at the same time? If so what kind of symptoms should I look out for?

A few additional details: I've been seeing a therapist since April. Previous meds that I have used (but am no longer taking) are: Paxil, Effexor and Lexapro.

Confidential
12-05-2014, 06:13 PM
My question is a topic called Post anesthesia anxiety in General Discussion if you could check it out would greatly appreciate it :)

RealisticTrain
12-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Hello Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to listen. For the past 3 months, I have been dealing with high anxiety. My anxiety leads me to Google what I am experiencing / feeling in search of answers. Unfortunately, Googling anxiety also has brought me to some dark places. I often worry that I may be developing Schizophrenia or another serious psychotic illness because my anxiety symptoms mimics these conditions closely. For instance, I get dizzy, emotional, detached from reality, blurred vision, feelings of fear that I may accidentally harm someone, etc. when going through these anxiety spells.

Is there anything I can do to either confirm or deny that I am developing a psychotic illness? Do those with psychotic illnesses know they are developing psychotic illnesses?

BTW - I am currently seeing a Therapist

Hi,

The absolute worst thing you can do is consult "Dr. Google", because what tends to happen is that you'll get directed to sites or pages that link the worst possible scenario to the symptoms you type in. Someone with a simple rash due to an unknown allergic reaction will convince themselves that they undoubtedly have skin cancer. And while its not impossible, it's highly unlikely.

Conditions such as schizophrenia have a lot of factors that need to be taken into account for an official diagnosis. So the fact that you might have some of those symptoms, does not mean you fit the full criteria. Again, the best way to know this for sure is to see your therapist and be completely transparent with them in regards to what you're feeling.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
12-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Hi Daniel,
Thank you for lending your expertise to this message board. I had a question about medication. I've been taking 60 mg of Cymbalta for over two months now for anxiety and depression. I had an appointment with my doctor yesterday for a med check. My anxiety has improved but I've still had a handful of panic attacks over the last two months. On the depression front I've gone from being depressed most of the time to fluctuating between depression and a neutral mood where I'm basically apathetic. I'm stuck in the neutral mood more often than not.

My doctor decided to prescribe Buspar in addition to the Cymbalta because I've been exhibiting signs of agoraphobia (which I have a history of) and I also have a slew of phobias. My script is for 10mg and I'm supposed to take them 3 times a day. I was wondering if there is a high risk of serotonin syndrome taking Cymbalta and Buspar at the same time? If so what kind of symptoms should I look out for?

A few additional details: I've been seeing a therapist since April. Previous meds that I have used (but am no longer taking) are: Paxil, Effexor and Lexapro.

Hi there,

Buspar is relatively safe when combined with other antidepressants, in prescribed doses. Serotonin syndrome is generally rare and only happens with very high amounts of serotonin increasing drugs. The doses you described do not seem too high as to cause serotonin syndrome. Please take this with a grain of salt however, and make sure to consult with your own doctor, as I do not know enough about your medical history or other conditions to know for sure how likely or unlikely you are to develop adverse effects. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
12-07-2014, 08:49 PM
My question is a topic called Post anesthesia anxiety in General Discussion if you could check it out would greatly appreciate it :)

Hi,

The fear of losing consciousness is very common, and can be a trigger for anxiety.

Medically speaking, it is almost impossible to just suddenly stop breathing, especially if you are generally healthy. That being said, there are a variety of respiratory tests you can ask your doctor for that can confirm you're healthy and ease your anxiety.
- Dr. Dan

aml0017
12-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Hi Dr. Dan,

What is your opinion on the effect of hormones on anxiety/depression in women. I ask because I have a lot of the symptoms that come with endometriosis/pcos but have never been diagnosed with either as I have no ultrasound evidence of cysts/endometrial tissue growth. Other than that, I have pretty much all the other symptoms like irregular periods, weight gain, insulin resistance, excess hair growth on face, thinning hair on scalp, and of course anxiety/depression. I currently take birth control and spironolactone, no meds for anxiety/depression. I am working on losing the weight and getting healthier also. I have also had thyroid testing with no irregularities.

I have discussed these issues with my gynecologist. How much of an impact can hormones and hormonal imbalances have on mood, especially anxiety?

gemma1788
12-13-2014, 06:32 AM
Hi Dr Dan,
Can you please tell me if Lexapro has an effect on the QT interval at a dose of 10mg in a normal young healthy female? I'm a little nervous after reading about it but most of the literature is in relation to overdoses of lexapro, rather than at therapeutic dose.
Thanks so much,
Gemma

RealisticTrain
12-22-2014, 09:19 AM
Hi Dr. Dan,

What is your opinion on the effect of hormones on anxiety/depression in women. I ask because I have a lot of the symptoms that come with endometriosis/pcos but have never been diagnosed with either as I have no ultrasound evidence of cysts/endometrial tissue growth. Other than that, I have pretty much all the other symptoms like irregular periods, weight gain, insulin resistance, excess hair growth on face, thinning hair on scalp, and of course anxiety/depression. I currently take birth control and spironolactone, no meds for anxiety/depression. I am working on losing the weight and getting healthier also. I have also had thyroid testing with no irregularities.

I have discussed these issues with my gynecologist. How much of an impact can hormones and hormonal imbalances have on mood, especially anxiety?

Sincerest apologies for the delay. Holiday's are always busy at the clinic, plus even doctors need vacations!

Unfortunately, your question is beyond the scope of what I can effectively tell you without knowing you, your medical history, or any diagnostic tests you've taken. While it is certainly true that hormones play a huge role in our development and that imbalances may have significant implications, there is just not enough information here for me to be of any assistance.

There have been "some" reports that certain types of birth control may have negative psychological impacts, but they are generally safe, especially if you don't have any other side effects from taking them, and if you take them as scheduled.

You'll have to work more closely with your doctor on this. If it really concerns you, demand to see a specialist. Good luck, and happy holidays!
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
12-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Hi Dr Dan,
Can you please tell me if Lexapro has an effect on the QT interval at a dose of 10mg in a normal young healthy female? I'm a little nervous after reading about it but most of the literature is in relation to overdoses of lexapro, rather than at therapeutic dose.
Thanks so much,
Gemma

Apologies for the delay.

I know that in some cases, ssri's prescribed with thiazides (used for high blood pressure) may cause a slightly prolonged QT interval, but if you're only taking lexapro that possibility is much lower. This also depends on whether or not you have any pre-existing heart conditions, or if you're taking any other medications. Whatever the case, there isn't much I would be able to help you with in this capacity. All I can say for sure is that Lexapro -along with many other proven anti-depressants- is generally safe if you've got a healthy heart, especially at low to moderate doses. Again, this is not always the case, and you'll have to consult further with your doctor on this.

Don't read too much into what you see on the Internet. More often that not, the information there can be misleading and only causes more anxiety for you. Hope this helps. Good luck, and happy holidays!
- Dr. Dan

bethanycaitlin17
12-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Hey Daniel :) I really could do with some help

For quite some time now -at least 8 months- Ive had these sudden overwhelming feelings of fear. It feels like somebody is watching me, and I find myself constantly looking up and around at my surroundings to relax myself that nothings there. It's a genuine feeling of fear, I don't know what it is but like I go really cold and my heart beats really fast and i tend to feel sick and i start to get very breathless, and i really dont know what it is at all - and its also badly messing with my sleep pattern, as it is almost impossible to fall asleep, i have to keep opening my eyes to check nothings there. This sounds so pathetic i know, im sorry :-( I could really use some help in trying to fimd out what this is - i really need to get it solved as my lack of sleep is now interfereing with my schoolwork and grades significantly. Thank you :) -and apologies for any errors, its 1_20 am and its hard to see my key board :(-

RealisticTrain
12-31-2014, 10:10 AM
Hey Daniel :) I really could do with some help

For quite some time now -at least 8 months- Ive had these sudden overwhelming feelings of fear. It feels like somebody is watching me, and I find myself constantly looking up and around at my surroundings to relax myself that nothings there. It's a genuine feeling of fear, I don't know what it is but like I go really cold and my heart beats really fast and i tend to feel sick and i start to get very breathless, and i really dont know what it is at all - and its also badly messing with my sleep pattern, as it is almost impossible to fall asleep, i have to keep opening my eyes to check nothings there. This sounds so pathetic i know, im sorry :-( I could really use some help in trying to fimd out what this is - i really need to get it solved as my lack of sleep is now interfereing with my schoolwork and grades significantly. Thank you :) -and apologies for any errors, its 1_20 am and its hard to see my key board :(-

Hi Bethany,

First of all, it is important for you to understand that these irrational fears you feel are extremely common and are anything but "pathetic".

In reality, what you are describing is textbook anxiety. You see, fear is the negative psychological connection you have with something, while anxiety is your body's response to that fear. So when you are afraid, your body enters what's known as "fight or flight" mode. In other words, you are preparing to either face this threat (or perceived threat), or you are ready to run from it. It's an instinctual human reaction that has helped us survive since the dawn of mankind.

In any case, your mind floods your body with adrenaline, tightening your focus and awareness. This is why when you're anxious, you can't stop thinking about whatever it is that you are afraid of, no matter how hard you try. Adrenaline also makes your heart beat faster, your breathing becomes short and frequent, and your palms start sweating. All of these things that your body is doing that frighten you actually have a practical purpose; for example, sweaty hands improve your grip, increased heart rate and breathing provide temporary energy, etc..

I may be getting a bit off topic, but it's important you understand these things. The best tool that anyone can have against anxiety is knowledge; in other words, knowledge that what you are going through is completely normal, safe, and reversible.

I suggest seeing your doctor and asking if he or she can recommend a psychologist that you can further talk to about this. I feel that CBT treatment might help you a lot. Simply put, it's a non-medical treatment option that can train your mind to change its way of thinking about certain things, such as fears or phobias.

Good luck and stay safe. Let me know if you have any other questions.
- Dr. Dan

bethanycaitlin17
01-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Hi Bethany,

First of all, it is important for you to understand that these irrational fears you feel are extremely common and are anything but "pathetic".

In reality, what you are describing is textbook anxiety. You see, fear is the negative psychological connection you have with something, while anxiety is your body's response to that fear. So when you are afraid, your body enters what's known as "fight or flight" mode. In other words, you are preparing to either face this threat (or perceived threat), or you are ready to run from it. It's an instinctual human reaction that has helped us survive since the dawn of mankind.

In any case, your mind floods your body with adrenaline, tightening your focus and awareness. This is why when you're anxious, you can't stop thinking about whatever it is that you are afraid of, no matter how hard you try. Adrenaline also makes your heart beat faster, your breathing becomes short and frequent, and your palms start sweating. All of these things that your body is doing that frighten you actually have a practical purpose; for example, sweaty hands improve your grip, increased heart rate and breathing provide temporary energy, etc..

I may be getting a bit off topic, but it's important you understand these things. The best tool that anyone can have against anxiety is knowledge; in other words, knowledge that what you are going through is completely normal, safe, and reversible.

I suggest seeing your doctor and asking if he or she can recommend a psychologist that you can further talk to about this. I feel that CBT treatment might help you a lot. Simply put, it's a non-medical treatment option that can train your mind to change its way of thinking about certain things, such as fears or phobias.

Good luck and stay safe. Let me know if you have any other questions.
- Dr. Dan

Thank you so much for the help, I#ll look into it all now - thank you so so much :')

RealisticTrain
01-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Thank you so much for the help, I#ll look into it all now - thank you so so much :')

My pleasure! Would you like to give us an update on how you're doing? :)
- Dr. Dan

superchick22684
01-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Daniel,
I was wondering how one distinguishes between a person having a manic or hypomanic episode versus someone experience a good or happy mood? Occasionally my medications will put me in a good mood and I worry that I might be having a hypomanic episode. I have a bit of health anxiety and one of my constant concerns is that I have undiagnosed bipolar disorder.
Thank you in advance!

RealisticTrain
01-09-2015, 12:13 PM
Daniel,
I was wondering how one distinguishes between a person having a manic or hypomanic episode versus someone experience a good or happy mood? Occasionally my medications will put me in a good mood and I worry that I might be having a hypomanic episode. I have a bit of health anxiety and one of my constant concerns is that I have undiagnosed bipolar disorder.
Thank you in advance!

Some medications can inadvertantly cause euphoria, such as opiates and stimulants. A true manic episode is essentially feeling "high" beyond reason; it can be accompanied by extreme irritability, an irrational connection with god or other spiritual beings, and difficulty sleeping. If you experience any of these symptoms, talk to your doctor. If you don't, you are most likely just reacting to the (fun!) side effects of whatever medication you're taking.

If you tell me what medications you're on, I can give you a better idea of what you're going through. If you don't feel comfortable, by all means don't feel that you need to share it -just mention them to your doctor.
- Dr. Dan

superchick22684
01-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Dr. Dan,
I'm on 60 mg of Cymbalta once a day and 10 mg of Buspirone which I take every 8 hrs.

RealisticTrain
01-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Dr. Dan,
I'm on 60 mg of Cymbalta once a day and 10 mg of Buspirone which I take every 8 hrs.

Interesting. Euphoria generally isn't associated with those two medications. What time of the day you feel that you get "high", and how long after youve taken the medication? Also, how long does the "high" last?

superchick22684
01-09-2015, 08:37 PM
Interesting. Euphoria generally isn't associated with those two medications. What time of the day you feel that you get "high", and how long after youve taken the medication? Also, how long does the "high" last?

The "euphoric" feeling has happened maybe twice in the last 3 weeks. This morning I took my Buspar at the normal time and I felt an slight uptick in mood about an hour after I took it. The euphoric feeling kicked in around 3-4 hours later and it lasted about five hours maybe. By the time I took my second dose of Buspar for the day (mid afternoonish) the feeling had worn off and did not come back. I just feel like I have normally felt on the Buspar, fairly relaxed.
The first time it happened (which was 3 weeks ago) it happened two days in a row. I get kind of a burst of energy out of it in addition to the great mood. I haven't had any instances of risky behavior. I had this happen one other time in the last six months when I was on a different antidepressant (Lexapro). It wasn't a big deal though because the Lexapro ended up being a short lived medication due to the horrible side effects I experienced.
I'm hoping that what I'm experiencing isn't hypomania because other than this "euphoric" feeling that has popped up a few times the Buspar has been really effective on keeping my anxiety in check and depression as well. I've only been on the Buspar for a little over a month, my doc added it on to the Cymbalta because I was experiencing emotional blunting and continuing to experience panic attacks and anxiety.

dani04
01-14-2015, 12:02 PM
Dr. Daniel, thanks for volunteering your time. I've been feeling very confused, scared, crazy as of late. For some reason I just can't shake the feelings that I'm going to die soon... there is no fear of a specific thing or day just before the year is over. It seems that this started since my Grandfather passed away in June of last year. Is this normal? Is this anxiety? I don't have these thoughts during the day or while I'm keeping busy but it seems at night they come around without fail despite my attempts to push them from my mind. Also, it seems death is popping up all over lately - I do understand that once you have something programmed into your mind you often see it popping up everywhere so I can understand that part.

RealisticTrain
01-15-2015, 01:36 PM
The "euphoric" feeling has happened maybe twice in the last 3 weeks. This morning I took my Buspar at the normal time and I felt an slight uptick in mood about an hour after I took it. The euphoric feeling kicked in around 3-4 hours later and it lasted about five hours maybe. By the time I took my second dose of Buspar for the day (mid afternoonish) the feeling had worn off and did not come back. I just feel like I have normally felt on the Buspar, fairly relaxed.
The first time it happened (which was 3 weeks ago) it happened two days in a row. I get kind of a burst of energy out of it in addition to the great mood. I haven't had any instances of risky behavior. I had this happen one other time in the last six months when I was on a different antidepressant (Lexapro). It wasn't a big deal though because the Lexapro ended up being a short lived medication due to the horrible side effects I experienced.
I'm hoping that what I'm experiencing isn't hypomania because other than this "euphoric" feeling that has popped up a few times the Buspar has been really effective on keeping my anxiety in check and depression as well. I've only been on the Buspar for a little over a month, my doc added it on to the Cymbalta because I was experiencing emotional blunting and continuing to experience panic attacks and anxiety.

Terribly sorry for the delay; its been quite a week on my end.

There are many other personal factors that can affect how one reacts to varying medications. Without knowing your medical and family history, im afraid i cant be of much help. This is something that needs to be addressed with your own doctor.

From what it seems, i dont think this should worry you too much. Although its very rare, it could just be a harmless side-effect from the anti-depressant. Again, best to discuss with your doctor. I apologize for not being of much assistance.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
01-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Dr. Daniel, thanks for volunteering your time. I've been feeling very confused, scared, crazy as of late. For some reason I just can't shake the feelings that I'm going to die soon... there is no fear of a specific thing or day just before the year is over. It seems that this started since my Grandfather passed away in June of last year. Is this normal? Is this anxiety? I don't have these thoughts during the day or while I'm keeping busy but it seems at night they come around without fail despite my attempts to push them from my mind. Also, it seems death is popping up all over lately - I do understand that once you have something programmed into your mind you often see it popping up everywhere so I can understand that part.

Hi Dani,

Just about every rational human being has some kind of fear of death. Not necessarily with death itself, but rather with the uncertainty that comes with it -in other words, fear of the unknown. This fear, along with fear of loud noises, are the only two fears that we believe we are born with; every thing else we fear is based off of negative experiences.

So you are not alone. The fact that you have these thoughts at night are normal as well. Darkness and night-time can be triggers for fear, and also the thought of going to sleep and the accompanying fear of losing consciousness can be frightening as well.

This seems like a phobia to me. Likely for you, CBT treatment with a psychologist has an extremely high success rate with phobias, and other anxieties as well. In your case, I would strongly recommend it, if this is really bothering you and you want to overcome it. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!
- Dr. Dan

worrier2015
01-20-2015, 01:50 AM
Hi everyone this is my first post on here...
Im 23 and ive suffered with anxiety since a breakdown at 15. Thats when i started 20mg fleouxetine daily which I'm still on now.

Ive just had my second baby via my first c section 8weeks ago. My anxiety through the pregnancy and afterwards was hurrendous!!

Keep obsessing that there's something wrong with me because I feel dizzy and lightheaded alk the time. All discombobulated!

Few weeks ago one night as I was falling asleep I felt weird n sick n all of a sudden the room was spinning and omg I felt terrrible!!!! Iwas absolutely petrified!! Gp said vertigo then next gp said inner ear off balance.

Feel nauseas, headaches on n off, chest pains, light headed, disorientated,discombobulated.
Whats happening to me??
Is it just where my anxiety uas becomeso severe and im obsessing over this as im petrified of that night repeating itself or is it something else?!

So confused and upset!
Making myself ill with worry and now depressions hitting hard to!

:'(

jp1092
01-20-2015, 11:58 PM
I just found out my friend has general anxiety and i now feel bad because I've barrage her with nothing but whyshe for weeks now. Like why are you acting like this and how come you won't let me fix what's wrong. Now she won't even acknowledge I exist. How do I fix it without setting her off?

Firestix
01-22-2015, 07:54 AM
I feel like I aleady know the answer to these questions, but it helps to hear it from others and especially ones that are qualified. I have GAD that has become worse with the birth of our first daughter. She is now 4 months old and the center of my life. When I am alone with her I feel more anxious than normal. I'm not as much worried about taking care of her, mostly just worried about what will happen if I have anxiety/panic while she is in my care. There are family and friends I could reach out to, but like most sufferers I would like to keep it somewhat hidden for now, especially since as a husband and father I should be strong. I have been seeing a counselor and he's been nudging me through exposure and CB therapy. I also have a 1mg RX for lorazepam on stand by. As for now I can function at work and get through the day, but the emotional battle is where I am at. How normal or "ok" is it to feel so overwhelmed? At times my body doesn't feel anxious but my mind feels like it's been beat up and I feel like crying and panicking at the same time. I talked to my wife about it and cried it out to her and she was very receptive. But, now I'm worried about the next time the overwhelmed feelings return. What if im alone with the baby? What if I'm alone period? When will the feeling of too much worry and being distraught go away?? The funny (I guess you'd say) part of this is that my wife was probably having much of the same during pregnancy due to hormones, but without an obsessive mind like I have she was able to let it go.

Can anyone else relate? Any advice is much appreciated.

RealisticTrain
01-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Hi everyone this is my first post on here...
Im 23 and ive suffered with anxiety since a breakdown at 15. Thats when i started 20mg fleouxetine daily which I'm still on now.

Ive just had my second baby via my first c section 8weeks ago. My anxiety through the pregnancy and afterwards was hurrendous!!

Keep obsessing that there's something wrong with me because I feel dizzy and lightheaded alk the time. All discombobulated!

Few weeks ago one night as I was falling asleep I felt weird n sick n all of a sudden the room was spinning and omg I felt terrrible!!!! Iwas absolutely petrified!! Gp said vertigo then next gp said inner ear off balance.

Feel nauseas, headaches on n off, chest pains, light headed, disorientated,discombobulated.
Whats happening to me??
Is it just where my anxiety uas becomeso severe and im obsessing over this as im petrified of that night repeating itself or is it something else?!

So confused and upset!
Making myself ill with worry and now depressions hitting hard to!

:'(

This seems like textbook anxiety and panic, leading you to believe the situation is worse than it actually is.

Perhaps some of this anxiety stemmed from your first c-section? It's certainly not unusual for young mothers to get frightened at times like this and it might have manifested itself into a trauma.

If you are still feeling anxious even though you are on the same medication, I would suggest going to your doctor and perhaps talking about a change or increase in medication. Sometimes SSRI's can "poop out" on people; in other words, they'll work fine for a few years, and then they'll suddenly stop working. A change or increase in medication may make a big difference.

Good luck.
- Dr. Dan

NixonRulz
01-23-2015, 05:07 PM
This seems like textbook anxiety and panic, leading you to believe the situation is worse than it actually is.

Perhaps some of this anxiety stemmed from your first c-section? It's certainly not unusual for young mothers to get frightened at times like this and it might have manifested itself into a trauma.

If you are still feeling anxious even though you are on the same medication, I would suggest going to your doctor and perhaps talking about a change or increase in medication. Sometimes SSRI's can "poop out" on people; in other words, they'll work fine for a few years, and then they'll suddenly stop working. A change or increase in medication may make a big difference.

Good luck.
- Dr. Dan

He is a dude. As in the father. No C-section for him 😋

RealisticTrain
01-23-2015, 10:17 PM
He is a dude. As in the father. No C-section for him ?de0b

How do you know? There is nothing in the description to suggest that.. "my c-section" isn't something a guy would be likely to say.

Tyler Patterson
01-25-2015, 03:23 PM
Since late june early august, i've been having some alarming symptoms. It all started when my father had a health scare than i developed muscle twitching or at least first noticed my muscle twitching. It started in the calf and then spread everywhere from there. They range from small ones i can barely feel to big giant ones that are visible through clothing. Late august i seen my GP, she asked me some questions did some blood work and diagnosed me with GAD and sent me on my way without really ever diagnosing me, well as the months go on i try therapy, medications, the whole 9 and nothing seems to work. In this time i develop some muscle jerks or spasms that make my whole arm or leg move without my having any control. They're only one quick motion then i have all control back. These have only happened about 10 times within the span of a 4-5 month period. All during this time having some what would be taken as perceived weakness on the left side of my body(although i believe it is actually weakness since even doing something as typing this paragraph my forearm starts to burn as if i haven't used it in forever or am working it out) Now suddenly i'm having sinus issues, a headache and a bit of brain fog. I'm wondering if i shouldn't go back to the doctor and have more tests done or if i should just not worry about it. I used to be mortally terrified of ALS, now i'm terrified of a brain tumor. It says the symptoms of a brain tumor are twitches, myoclonic seizures, headache and weakness on one side of body. Are these actual warning signs or am i connecting fictionary dots?

Just some background, 18, male,slightly overweight, family has had minimal cases of cancer in past, very few genetic predispositions, non smoker, and non drinker.

RealisticTrain
01-25-2015, 05:15 PM
Since late june early august, i've been having some alarming symptoms. It all started when my father had a health scare than i developed muscle twitching or at least first noticed my muscle twitching. It started in the calf and then spread everywhere from there. They range from small ones i can barely feel to big giant ones that are visible through clothing. Late august i seen my GP, she asked me some questions did some blood work and diagnosed me with GAD and sent me on my way without really ever diagnosing me, well as the months go on i try therapy, medications, the whole 9 and nothing seems to work. In this time i develop some muscle jerks or spasms that make my whole arm or leg move without my having any control. They're only one quick motion then i have all control back. These have only happened about 10 times within the span of a 4-5 month period. All during this time having some what would be taken as perceived weakness on the left side of my body(although i believe it is actually weakness since even doing something as typing this paragraph my forearm starts to burn as if i haven't used it in forever or am working it out) Now suddenly i'm having sinus issues, a headache and a bit of brain fog. I'm wondering if i shouldn't go back to the doctor and have more tests done or if i should just not worry about it. I used to be mortally terrified of ALS, now i'm terrified of a brain tumor. It says the symptoms of a brain tumor are twitches, myoclonic seizures, headache and weakness on one side of body. Are these actual warning signs or am i connecting fictionary dots?

Just some background, 18, male,slightly overweight, family has had minimal cases of cancer in past, very few genetic predispositions, non smoker, and non drinker.

Hi Tyler,

Seems to me that you might be over-thinking things a little. Those who suffer from anxiety tend to display a common phenomenon known as "catastrophic thinking"; in plain words, this means an over-reaction to events or things that people typically percieve to be normal.

The warning signs you mentioned are symptoms of at least dozens of other conditions spread throughout the body, ranging from mild to severe. So how does your doctor know which one to treat? Well he takes as much background information as possible and then starts some preliminary tests like a vitals check-up and simple blood work. Next, he'll narrow it down to a few of the most likely conditions, which he'll then further test on to try to come to an official diagnosis and begin treatment.

If the chance of a brain tumour makes you anxious, by all means request to do a CT scan or MRI to check for anomalies. If nothing else, a negative test result will put your anxiety at ease, while your doctor can get back to work figuring out what the real cause of your symptoms are.

Hope this helps.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
01-25-2015, 05:19 PM
I just found out my friend has general anxiety and i now feel bad because I've barrage her with nothing but whyshe for weeks now. Like why are you acting like this and how come you won't let me fix what's wrong. Now she won't even acknowledge I exist. How do I fix it without setting her off?

Dealing with someone like this is tricky. Most of the time, they don't know whats wrong with themselves in the first place, which is why your friend might be getting upset at you. It's most likely because she's confused and scared.

The best thing you can do at this point is to comfort her and let her know that there are many people out there living with anxiety or depression, and many are successfully treated. When she is ready and willing, visit her doctor so that they can advise next steps.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
01-25-2015, 05:21 PM
He is a dude. As in the father. No C-section for him ��

Ah i see the misunderstanding. I was answering the question of the previous poster worrier2015.

I am just now about to answer the gentleman.

Tyler Patterson
01-25-2015, 05:35 PM
Hi Tyler,

Seems to me that you might be over-thinking things a little. Those who suffer from anxiety tend to display a common phenomenon known as "catastrophic thinking"; in plain words, this means an over-reaction to events or things that people typically percieve to be normal.

The warning signs you mentioned are symptoms of at least dozens of other conditions spread throughout the body, ranging from mild to severe. So how does your doctor know which one to treat? Well he takes as much background information as possible and then starts some preliminary tests like a vitals check-up and simple blood work. Next, he'll narrow it down to a few of the most likely conditions, which he'll then further test on to try to come to an official diagnosis and begin treatment.

If the chance of a brain tumour makes you anxious, by all means request to do a CT scan or MRI to check for anomalies. If nothing else, a negative test result will put your anxiety at ease, while your doctor can get back to work figuring out what the real cause of your symptoms are.

Hope this helps.
- Dr. Dan
Thats the thing that's frustrating though. I haven't been back to the doctor since early September simply because of the fact she didn't do a physical exam, just blood work and diagnosed me. I'm legitimately wondering if i should go back or if i am just thinking crazy. It could just a cold or the flu but something tells me its more is all. Just a frustrating circle i guess.

RealisticTrain
01-25-2015, 05:41 PM
I feel like I aleady know the answer to these questions, but it helps to hear it from others and especially ones that are qualified. I have GAD that has become worse with the birth of our first daughter. She is now 4 months old and the center of my life. When I am alone with her I feel more anxious than normal. I'm not as much worried about taking care of her, mostly just worried about what will happen if I have anxiety/panic while she is in my care. There are family and friends I could reach out to, but like most sufferers I would like to keep it somewhat hidden for now, especially since as a husband and father I should be strong. I have been seeing a counselor and he's been nudging me through exposure and CB therapy. I also have a 1mg RX for lorazepam on stand by. As for now I can function at work and get through the day, but the emotional battle is where I am at. How normal or "ok" is it to feel so overwhelmed? At times my body doesn't feel anxious but my mind feels like it's been beat up and I feel like crying and panicking at the same time. I talked to my wife about it and cried it out to her and she was very receptive. But, now I'm worried about the next time the overwhelmed feelings return. What if im alone with the baby? What if I'm alone period? When will the feeling of too much worry and being distraught go away?? The funny (I guess you'd say) part of this is that my wife was probably having much of the same during pregnancy due to hormones, but without an obsessive mind like I have she was able to let it go.

Can anyone else relate? Any advice is much appreciated.

The "obsessive mind" that you mentioned is the main culprit here.

This is the hard truth: for as long as you keep hoping that your anxiety and these overwhelming feelings will "go away", they never will. Your anxiety is here to stay. It is a normal part of any humans life. Your issue is that you have become over-sensitized to it. The more you fight it, and the more you treat it as a problem that you desperately need to alleviate, the stronger it will get.

You need to learn to accept your anxiety, and instead of fighting away your obsessive thoughts, you need to try to live with them. When they come, simply say to yourself, "this is normal. These are normal thoughts. My life is not in danger, and neither is my family's". When you start to believe that, and to believe in yourself and your ability to live with this, you will slowly find yourself taking control of your anxiety, instead of the other way around.

Now, this takes a lot of practise and willingness on your part. The paragraph above is essentially the basis of CBT psychotherapy -changing your attitudes, outlooks, and thought processes. You do not have a chronic "obsessive thought" condition, you only think you do. You make yourself believe it. Now you have to make yourself "un-believe" it. And CBT will help you get there.

Good luck, and remember to discuss CBT with your doctor first to see if it is a good fit for you (presuming that you've never done it before).
- Dr. Dan

doug39
01-25-2015, 06:04 PM
This is the hard truth: for as long as you keep hoping that your anxiety and these overwhelming feelings will "go away", they never will. Your anxiety is here to stay. It is a normal part of any humans life. Your issue is that you have become over-sensitized to it. The more you fight it, and the more you treat it as a problem that you desperately need to alleviate, the stronger it will get.

So true. What you said here is what has helped me over the years. I still have issues and at times it is hard to stick by what you are saying here, but I do try.

scott12
01-27-2015, 10:15 AM
Hi Daniel, I am looking for some advice on how to help my girlfriend.

Some background, she is 23 and I'm 26. Been together for about three months. Totally hit it off straight away and fell for eachother. She has anxiety issues, panic attacks and trust issues. She has always been very open with me about ther issues and has been seeing a psychologist on and off.

Lately she is started to voice the feelings she has been having. Feelings that she isn't good enough for me, that I deserve better, that she isn't a good enough girlfriends. She says she loves me and I believe her but she has so much self doubt. She is convincing herself that we won't work. I want to do everything I can to help her but I'm not sure what to do.

RealisticTrain
02-08-2015, 08:27 PM
Note to Scott: I sometimes think my husband would be better off with someone else too and we've been married for 25 years and it doesn't get any easier with age...

Hi Dr. Daniel, I am female, 51. Early menopause (43). There's no doubt, menopause changes the brain. Getting old generally sucks. I have mild hypertension, on a low dose of Diovan. My blood pressure goes up when my emotions are affected, including when I see the doctor (sorry, it's nothing personal). I am mildly overweight (5'6, 158 lbs). Am in pretty good shape though. I exercise regularly. I find it helps with anxiety, makes me feel strong in body and mind. I eat well. Lots of veg and some fruit. I meditate for 20 minutes a day. It helps. I see a psychologist. She helps, as does this forum. Have been a worrier all my life, then my mom died a couple of summers ago. I was there for her as best I could be. Let's just say it was very traumatic and confirmed all my worst fears about growing old, getting sick and dying. I started having panic attacks while she was sick and after she passed. It's like the trauma of her death made me hypersensitive to stimuli now. I have had a few mild to moderate panic attacks over the past few months, but have learned to prevent them from coming on or, if they do, getting too bad. A half a clonazapam usually nips it in the bud (two to three times a week). And as I have read in this forum, fear what you know, not what you feel. Words to live by.

Lately though, I have started to wake up gasping for air. Sometimes, just as I'm falling asleep. Other times, in the middle of the night. I have secretions in my throat and in my lungs when I wake up. I have to cough them out. My husband says I snore sometimes, but he hasn't noticed that I stop breathing. My legs get buzzy (very fast twitches) and crampy, mostly at night, as do my arms sometimes. I think it must be restless leg syndrome because it's better in the morning and during the day. My throat feels tight right now as I'm typing this.

I take an antihistamine sometimes (I have a house dust mite allergy and my nose gets really stuffy at night) and it seems to help, as does an antacid. I haven't figured out which helps more, if either. I was taking a fish omega 3 twice a day, morning and night, and I read on this forum that fish omegas can cause palpitations. So I cut out the morning pill and that seems to have helped. I have been taking St. John's Wort at my psychologists suggestion. Thought it was helping until last night. Bad night! I take two ZMA (zinc, magnesium and B6, supposed to give you better restorative sleep) at night, a half a magnesium in the AM, two areds per day. I have drusen deposits in my eyes, (the early stages of macular degeneration, which both my parents had), and 500 mg of C.

My doctor has scheduled me for a treadmill test. She just did a bunch of blood work, but I haven't got the results yet. She has also schedule me for a Nocturnal polysomnography, but that can take a year or more to get in (long waiting list). Of course, I think I have heart failure or ALS (my Aunt died of ALS). As I read this forum, logically, I realize that I probably just have GAD though, perhaps a touch of PTSD. I tried an SSRI and it helped (the brain zaps were a bit unpleasant, but worth the trade off), but then I couldn't orgasm any more and that was a real threat to my peace of mind and my marriage, so I weaned myself off.

My job can be quite stressful. I throw myself into my work 110% (I can get a really hyper-focused and forget to move and breathe) but I have a great job, a wonderfully supportive boss, colleagues and friends, and husband. I work with social workers and one of them, also my best friend, suggested I take a leave of absence from work. I think that is just postponing the inevitable, that as soon as I go back to work, it will start all over again. I know this is a lot of blah, blah, but if you have any thoughts or suggestions, I'd be very grateful. I'm reading all this back to myself and how pathetic I sound! I'm really having a hard time imagining that I am going to feel this way for the rest of my life. Thanks for your help!

My sincerest apologies for the delay. I've been very busy lately.

Regarding your anxiety with breathing, remember that it is just about impossible for your lungs to suddenly "stop" breathing (unless you have a severe respiratory condition, but even still, extremely rare).

Restless Legs Syndrome can be exacerbated by anti-histamines, which range from anti-nausea medication, sleep medication, and allergy medication. RLS is most common at night and during periods of rest.

Other than that, there's not too much more that I can add...you seem to know your stuff. I would suggest listening to your co-workers and finding time to take appropriate leaves from work to "recharge your batteries".

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. And as always, the best place to get answers from is your own doctor, as he/she knows more about you and your history than I do. Take care.
- Dr. Dan

BrookeLynnnn
02-08-2015, 09:16 PM
I'm pregnant & off my meds since finding out.. I'm 4 months. Life of pregnancy is ROUGH. Any advice on staying calm? I breakdown at least once a day & I know it's not good for the baby.. I was diagnosed with gad & agoraphobia last year. That's when I started my meds. I've been med free since 8 weeks pregnant.

RealisticTrain
02-09-2015, 07:17 AM
I'm pregnant & off my meds since finding out.. I'm 4 months. Life of pregnancy is ROUGH. Any advice on staying calm? I breakdown at least once a day & I know it's not good for the baby.. I was diagnosed with gad & agoraphobia last year. That's when I started my meds. I've been med free since 8 weeks pregnant.

Hi Brooke,

Pregnancy can be an extremely difficult and stressful time, even for women who might not have previously suffered from anxiety or depression.

When you are pregnant, your "motherly" hormones shoot through the roof, so its completely natural to worry about the well-being of your child. The problem is when you begin to worry that you're worrying too much, and that can snowball into full-out panic.

In your situation, you believe that too much worrying will somehow harm the child. This simply isnt the case. The biggest factor in determing the well-being of the baby is the stuff you put into your body during pregnancy; so stuff like smoking, drinking, and various medications have a direct impact.

Every women worries during pregnancy; you are not alone. I would suggest going to your doctor or psychologist and getting their re-assurance, as well as looking into safe exercise activites that you can do to keep your body moving.

Good luck and take care,
Dr. Dan

Yellow Zebra
02-12-2015, 05:37 AM
Dear Realistic Train aka Dr dan,

I am new on here and would very much appreciate your thoughts on this....

I am 30yrs old. I have bipolar type 2 ultra rapid cycling which is treated currently with 750mg Depakote (valproate semisodium) in 2 divided doses and 800mg lithium priadel at night. My moods have started to cycle again (slowly), i am getting mixed moods and depression again. I think i need to increase the depakote? Or perhaps switch it for something else?

Perhaps now you are wondering why i am typing on here? I have general and social anxiety too. Previously i have had CBT and it worked well, but that was a few years ago and now it has all crept back. I rarely go out alone as i worry constantly about what people think of me - whilst in a supermarket, driving, in a cafe. I avoid going in my garden incase i have to speak to my neighbours. I have stopped working because of the perceived pressure to impress my boss, it stressed me out. I also like to make everything 'perfect' and struggle to do things because i worry they won't turn out that way. This means i can't actually face doing any of my hobbies - craft, sewing, and struggle to cook meals which i used to love.
I have in the past has lorazepam, diazepam or chlorpromazine at a low dose as PRN for my anxiety but i don't want to take these now due to driving.

My question is - what steps do you think i should take with regards to my bipolar treatment and getting my anxiety back under
control?

Ps. Some things that maybe you need to know? My thyroid has died thanks to lithium, i now take levothyroxine. I also have diabetes insipidus because of lithium. The depakote also gives me a mild intermittent tremor, which i'm slightly concerned about getting worse if the dose is increased?
I'm on rivaroxaban (anti coagulant) due to recent DVT. oh and i can't take SSRIs because they make me even more crazy! (Hyper).

Thanks ever so much, sorry if i am quite complicated, you have my full permission to use me in your essays or whatever if that helps your studies!
Thanks again
Yellow Zebra

NixonRulz
02-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Do you think the Ravens have a shot at the Super Bowl this coming season?

RealisticTrain
02-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Dear Realistic Train aka Dr dan,

I am new on here and would very much appreciate your thoughts on this....

I am 30yrs old. I have bipolar type 2 ultra rapid cycling which is treated currently with 750mg Depakote (valproate semisodium) in 2 divided doses and 800mg lithium priadel at night. My moods have started to cycle again (slowly), i am getting mixed moods and depression again. I think i need to increase the depakote? Or perhaps switch it for something else?

Perhaps now you are wondering why i am typing on here? I have general and social anxiety too. Previously i have had CBT and it worked well, but that was a few years ago and now it has all crept back. I rarely go out alone as i worry constantly about what people think of me - whilst in a supermarket, driving, in a cafe. I avoid going in my garden incase i have to speak to my neighbours. I have stopped working because of the perceived pressure to impress my boss, it stressed me out. I also like to make everything 'perfect' and struggle to do things because i worry they won't turn out that way. This means i can't actually face doing any of my hobbies - craft, sewing, and struggle to cook meals which i used to love.
I have in the past has lorazepam, diazepam or chlorpromazine at a low dose as PRN for my anxiety but i don't want to take these now due to driving.

My question is - what steps do you think i should take with regards to my bipolar treatment and getting my anxiety back under
control?

Ps. Some things that maybe you need to know? My thyroid has died thanks to lithium, i now take levothyroxine. I also have diabetes insipidus because of lithium. The depakote also gives me a mild intermittent tremor, which i'm slightly concerned about getting worse if the dose is increased?
I'm on rivaroxaban (anti coagulant) due to recent DVT. oh and i can't take SSRIs because they make me even more crazy! (Hyper).

Thanks ever so much, sorry if i am quite complicated, you have my full permission to use me in your essays or whatever if that helps your studies!
Thanks again
Yellow Zebra

There really is so many factors to consider with a decision like this. With this many differing medications, there is bound to be some complications or adverse reactions.

When it comes to highly cyclical bipolar, you are correct in suggesting that SSRI's can cause manic episodes or increased excitability. Lithium is the gold standard in this case but since you cannot take it, the doctor is sort of forced into finding an effective medley of medications that can control the variety of symptoms accompanied with a condition such as this.

My advice is first and foremost not to make any changes to your medication without consulting your doctor first. And if you do decide to make changes, be sure your doctor approves it and that you are closely monitored.

Take care, and sorry for the delay.
- Dr. Dan

RealisticTrain
02-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Do you think the Ravens have a shot at the Super Bowl this coming season?

I'm afraid that question is beyond the scope of my expertise! :P

trivedisites
02-26-2015, 04:52 AM
Thank you Daniel for being here with us.

Surfside
02-26-2015, 06:34 AM
Hi Daniel,

First time I've actually gotten around to reading your thread.

Say, I have an appointment tomorrow with a new doctor; I've gone basically untreated for year now. I suppose I've been trying to "cope" by using natural supplements, and relying on faith. Faith in a higher power (solely to get me through this) I suppose would be the only way to describe it without getting too specific.

I'm wondering how to approach with this new doctor that I basically have ABSOLUTELY nobody in my real life (no friends or a caring family). This was a huge problem when I went into therapy years ago, because, they were hesitant to release me due to the fact that my only "life" is on the internet, and that was quite frowned upon. Even my online connections have dwindled to almost nothing now, and I refuse to beg strangers for friendship.

I'd bet you been asked this question several times, and in various ways by others, but I couldn't find it by searching quickly.

I'm a bit apprehensive to even tell him anything at all about my total isolation from society, and fear if committed/admitted into a hospital setting, I will have be in serious danger of being held for as long as my insurance will allow (of course), and set right back into the same situation I'm "currently" in as I write this.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for you time.

Surfside
02-27-2015, 08:57 AM
-Update-

I got back from the appointment with the new doc and it pretty much was no help at all, so I'll look around for another doctor I suppose. He was more interested in looking at his watch that anything I had to say, so I didn't say much or even bother. It never came down to being admitted anyway, because I really didn't say all that much about some of my "true" feelings.

As expected I mentioned Zoloft and he said there are better and more effective ones out there now (of course), but I actually do have another appointment for next Friday and hopefully it was just an awkward 1st visit.

Its just a shame to feel like you are back at "square 1" all over again, and makes one get discouraged easily.

Must not give up.

Loyd
03-05-2015, 07:40 AM
Hello Daniel,
My issue has been going on for a little over a year, and while so I've been under an enormous amount of stress. Major stress with career, 3 kids, two houses that won't sell, etc. I've been plagued with anxiety attacks for at least a week after I fly on a plane. I've been on almost 20 flights in the past year and every time like clock work, I have anxiety attacks for the week after my flights. I don't have problems on the flight itself, "except once." But after for at least a few days, I suffer from panic and intense anxiety with diarrhea. The therapist I've been seeing seems to think it's a delayed reaction to the stress of the flight, coffee sets me off too. I'm wondering if something more biological is going on. We did a blood food allergy test and found that I'm moderately sensitive to gluten and wheat and eggs (level 3 out of 6). She thinks this could be underlying cause for the anxiety on top of the stress I have. I'd love to hear if you have ever heard of a problem like this because I can't find anything online of post flight anxiety, etc. Thanks so much for your help. I don't have to fly for another month and I have to get this figured out for my job and other obvious reasons.

best regards,

Surfside
03-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Its just a shame to feel like you are back at "square 1" all over again, and makes one get discouraged easily.

Must not give up.

Oh well, all appointments are canceled now due to weather conditions, so this is only making me want to just throw in the towel even more now and just say the heck with it all. I just feel completely at a stand still (yet again). Ah well, I'm always just spinning my wheels anyway and never really getting anywhere. I'll return here when I'm able.

Anyway,

Hope you get some answers @Loyd.

Kixxi
03-05-2015, 03:22 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself here. I'm Daniel, and I'm currently near the end of my psychiatry residency at the university of toronto. As such, I have vast knowledge of all things psychiatric, be it medication, alternative treatments,..anything to do with the mind!

I love helping others so I want you guys to know that I'll try to be here on the forum for as long as I can (clinic hours are a bitch) and available to answer questions. Please remember that I am a doctor in training still, and any advice that I give you MUST be approved by your attending doctor first before you attempt any changes.

I've also had my fair share of anxiety and depression in my life, so I can relate. I've made a full recovery, am doing the job that I love, and I'd you all to be able to rid yourself of these worries and just live life. And maybe I can be there to help.

Thanks!

What was it that helped you over your anxiety problems? Was there a certain trigger or revelation? And what is your preferred cure for anxiety such as agoraphobia?

frozen
03-18-2015, 01:34 AM
hi. Is it okay for people with anxiety and panic disorder to tell themselves to don't think of anything whenever it acts up such as during work times, lectures, study periods and public places? Basically want to know if it is alright to don't think of anything? Since people with anxiety like me usually feels the need to think inorder to feel secure.

Kixxi
03-18-2015, 04:04 AM
hi. Is it okay for people with anxiety and panic disorder to tell themselves to don't think of anything whenever it acts up such as during work times, lectures, study periods and public places? Basically want to know if it is alright to don't think of anything? Since people with anxiety like me usually feels the need to think inorder to feel secure.

That's actually a really good question! I'd like to know the answer to that as well. However, I think it is impossible to not think of anything, since it is our thoughts that actually lead us to a panic attack. Personally, I have to talk to myself, explaining to myself what is happening and why and just let the symptoms come. I try not being afraid of it anymore, but it needs a bit of practice I think.

frozen
03-18-2015, 12:30 PM

Thanks!

Hi. For anxiety caused by past failures, how to deal with it? Isit don't think about the past?

frozen
03-18-2015, 12:32 PM
That's actually a really good question! I'd like to know the answer to that as well. However, I think it is impossible to not think of anything, since it is our thoughts that actually lead us to a panic attack. Personally, I have to talk to myself, explaining to myself what is happening and why and just let the symptoms come. I try not being afraid of it anymore, but it needs a bit of practice I think.

Icic. Your method most probably might not work on me...I feel much better if I tell myself to don't think about anything. Because I tend to make myself to think alot. Do you think if it will be helpful to tell myself to don't think of anything whenever anxiety acts up? Thanks for your tips! =)

MAM090982
03-24-2015, 07:41 AM
Hi Daniel. Have you heard of this symptom? A symptom of mental chatter, where you feel like you want to scream, and your inner voice is very loud, also where you are very sensitive to noise? Is this part of anxiety? OCD? PMDD?

Freddyville
03-25-2015, 07:38 AM
Hi Daniel, sorry to de so abrupt but I'm just wondering can anxiety cause such numbness and super-self consciousness to the point where I sometimes feel like I CANT feel tired no matter how much exercise I do, I also don't sweat nearly as much as a used to while exercising. I'm just wondering could being extremely self aware and anxiety-stricken cause this strange 'inability' to feel tired. It's like my brain has forgotten how to react to exercise. It's a strange feeling.

LIAM_
05-05-2015, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=RealisticTrain;197745]Just wanted to introduce myself here. I'm Daniel, and I'm currently near the end of my psychiatry residency at the university of toronto. As such, I have vast knowledge of all things psychiatric, be it medication, alternative treatments,..anything to do with the mind!

With my anxiety almost completely gone, I still have physical symptoms. Chest pains etc. I've had ECG's and an echocardiogram. Both were ok. So why is this still happening?

Antisocialtheatrefreak
05-14-2015, 06:02 PM
Thoughts on alternative remedies? (Yoga, herbs etc.)

Anxiety91
05-19-2015, 03:50 PM
Hello Realistic Train,

I have question for you: Can anxiety symptoms appear out of blue? For example, I can experience Arrhythmia (fluttering feeling) inside my chest, and not feeling anxiety or stressed, I am completely calm and focused on the job I am doing at the time?

Thank you for your help,
Kind Regards

Lip
05-19-2015, 04:23 PM
Hi Daniel....How long do you take a medication if it's not working?
I've been taking it Trazodone for months and it hasn't worked. The dosage was increased when I told my doctor about it and my next appt to see her is in a couple weeks. I can't just stop taking it on my own.

kenreezy
05-25-2015, 01:11 AM
Hi Daniel,

Are you still active in this community? I see you haven't posted in a while. My GF had some horrible side effects from taking Paroxetine HCL, and I just wanted to ask you a few questions.

Brgds,

Ken

missedlink
07-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Thanks! For you, what's the best way stop a strong panic attack?

pocketful of sunshine
07-24-2015, 05:39 PM
how do you feel about GP's prescribing and diagnosing ??

Christheanxiousone
07-24-2015, 11:39 PM
I do have a question, during my episodes of higher than normal anxiety, where I am very sensitive, is it normal to not being able to cope with your worries like usual? I can't seem to take things day by day anymore and my worries give me more anxiety, and the more anxiety I have over my worries, the more depression I have. It comes in waves and I've heard of these episodes of anxiety and I've been through them before, they seem to stick around for a couple months for me before fading. Yes, I see improvement, but this is still driving me nuts... Do these "ruts" end?

norabab
08-19-2015, 03:16 PM
You are making a very good point. I have had some very bad experiences with prescribed drugs over many years. Won't go into all the details right now, but I was prescribed Valium, with Prothiaden (dothiepin), and when I came back and said I was addicted they said I couldn't be. Then they gave me Ativan (lorazepam) instead. This went on for 11 years. It was in the 8os and they are supposed to know better now but I'm not so sure.
I'd like to say I cured myself by unconventional means but unfortunately I didn't. I still take antidepressants, and if I don't, I just lose it.
I think we need to find a way of challenging the medical approach. It isn't wrong but it is overdone. If I'd had Dothiepin for a year and Valium for four weeks, like the first time (private psychiatrist, not the NHS!), I think I wouldn't be in this situation now.

norabab
08-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Dr Dan, I know you want to be helpful, but PLEASE.....don't assume that your medical knowledge will deal with everything!

For myself, I really did hope that doctors had moved on since the time I had the bad experience I described (in my reply to PanicCured). Sadly, had another bad experience recently. Was having problems with Seroxat (paroxetine) and was prescribed Mirtazapine, as I had run out of most of the other options. I knew it would make me drowsy at first, but NOBODY WARNED ME that this could last up to six weeks!! When I nearly fell over in a busy road, after four weeks of taking it, I stopped, and went back to Paroxetine. Not working too well but at least not putting me in harm's way.

I'd like to have a proper conversation about my anxiety with you. But it will only be useful to me if you are prepared to accept that "experts by experience" -- people like me who have been through it -- sometimes have our doubts about psychiatric wisdom. And we have good reasons for those doubts!

MisterAnxiety
08-23-2015, 02:23 AM
Does marijuana improve anxiety?

Anxiety91
08-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Does marijuana improve anxiety?

My anxiety was induced by Marijuana... But now after a year and a half, I can say that it had nothing to do with marijuana, It was my head that induced the anxiety, Marijuana just helped with it. Just like it can make you more happy than you usually are, it can make you more anxious than u really are... It can induce, but keep it in mind that it can't do you anything if you are mentally strong to drive you trough the bad high state.

Kuma
08-23-2015, 08:28 AM
The guy who began this thread -- offering to answer questions -- Realistic Train -- appears to have left us around a half a year ago. Too bad; his advice was good. But of course people come and go...

bananasmiles
08-23-2015, 11:32 PM
Hi, I am also new, but welcome haha! I have a quick question, so for the past couple of days, I've convinced myself that i have some sort of vision problem. like it not even that anything is blurry or spotty, i just feel like something is off. which doesn't make sense. but i don't really know how to stop it...? its the worse at night before i go to bed, because i feel like in the dark, i get really scared that I'm gonna lose my vision. Thanks for any help!

norabab
08-25-2015, 07:04 AM
This is a reply to Mr Anxiety but it has got in the wrong order somehow...

My experience of this was quite some time ago, and I have both good and bad memories. I'd say it probably is not worth the risk, unless you know someone who can get good quality stuff, and someone who can support you when you try it out. (and don't use skunk which blows your head off!)

Problem is that the effect depends a lot on your own underlying mental state. It can calm you, but some people develop intense paranoid thoughts, and that isn't nice. It can also trigger a psychotic illness if you happen to have the wrong genes. And -- contrary to what we were told back in the Sixties -- people can become dependent on it to a degree. Not to the same level as hard drugs or tranquillisers, but you can still develop a need to keep using it.

As you can probably tell, I'm not against it (most of my really bad experiences have been with prescribed medication) but just recommend caution.

MorneBarend
08-25-2015, 07:23 AM
Hello everyone, is this working? can everybody read my messages?

NixonRulz
08-25-2015, 07:25 AM
Check. I read you loud and clear

MorneBarend
08-25-2015, 07:27 AM
Awesome stuff... is there Cellphone App i can download for this forum maybe?

NixonRulz
08-25-2015, 07:28 AM
Not anymore. It went away quite a while ago as the moderators abandoned us

MorneBarend
08-25-2015, 07:51 AM
Hello Daniel. i have a question, i have this constant tension in my upper body and neck, and it also goes through to my chest... can this all be part of anxiety? is this like a stage it is going through? there is this very discomfort in my chest almost all the time. this is scaring me allot.... and thank you for your assistance

NixonRulz
08-25-2015, 07:58 AM
Dr Dan hasn't been here for quite a while. Maybe he will pop in and see your post

MorneBarend
08-25-2015, 08:01 AM
if anybody can help me with an answer that would be awesome. can the tension really get this bad?

Estelle2008
03-27-2016, 11:24 PM
PanicCured has a lot of stickied threads at the top of the forum regarding how they overcame anxiety. Everyone is different mind you. I prefer a medication free root myself. A lot here like the idea of supplements, but personally I prefer to get the necessary nutrients and minerals from a healthy diet. Since changing my diet radically and cutting out virtually all processed foods I found my chronic 4 year pains I was experiencing all over my body rapidly reduced. I'll be undergoing a second round of CBT in a few months which should be a lot more effective now i'm not in pain constantly throughout the day.

Ed

Hello, I am not so new at this whole anxiety thing, I had been doing really well the last few weeks, I have been feeling really good, and then bam! Right out of no where it's 2am, I've been laying here since 11pm trying to go to sleep and it's just not working...my heart is pounding and my mind just won't stop. Any suggestions on what I can do for this? I don't take any medications except for my acid reflux & would love to keep it that way, but when I get like "this" I just can't seem to shake it. At least a panic during the day I seem to handle pretty well, but here now I don't want to wake any one (my husband and 2 boys) so I suffer in silence trying to just fall asleep!!
Thank you for any advice you may have

James Waide
04-11-2016, 05:55 PM
I am coping with anxiety with the Natural pen. It has been a God Send.
I got tired of the "happy pills" and knew there had to be a all natural remedy for anxiety.
Try it 1679

psych_student92
07-08-2016, 07:02 PM
Hey, what do you think of some of the newly added DSM disorders such as Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder? Do you think we're over-pathologising normal emotions?

ChelseaLouise33x
08-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Hi Daniel I am new to this site as I joined as I feel I have been having anxiety symptoms for over a month now. I get a fast heart rate, heart feels like its pounding out of my chest and find it hard to breathe. I havent been well lately but think that has been down to anxiety. Also Im not sure if you have heard of health anxiety but I think I have that as I am currently checking my heart rate, always looking at my body and if i see any new marks im always worrying. Ihave hardkly ever been to doctors until the last month I have been about 6 times and one trip to hospital.I had a attack today where I woke up with fast heart my heart rate was 118 bpm, headache dizziness and just felt very unwell after around 2 hours It had gone and I am now just left witrh an ache in my chest area.

kelly101
09-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Hi Daniel
Im a teenage girl and im not sure if this is anxiety related but since school started back Ive been waking up in the middle of the night and getting totally ready for school until i suddenly sort of click out of it and realise what time it is. In the space of 1 week I woke up during the middle of the night 5 times (twice in one night). to help you know more detail of these experiences ive left a short account of what exactly happens:

12:30(ish)
i wake up and without checking my phone or opening the curtains like i do every morning i just immediately get up and start changing into my uniform. i have changed into my shirt and trousers and as i pick up my jumper i suddenly click ot of it and realise its still dark out. i check the time and go back to sleep.

2:00(ish)
i wake up again and this time i check my phone for te time and when i see 2am i dont realise it, i kind of just think "yeah, ok, 2am time to get up and ready for school". this time i get fully into my uniform and i do my hair, as im about to sit down at my vanity i uddenly click out of it again. annoyed, i get back into bed at wake up again later at my correct time, 7am.

please help as this is really affecting me,
Kelly

Niclkkinoo
09-30-2016, 01:55 AM
Daniel love your enthusiasm to help others :) you will surely be the best dr :)

jones27
10-28-2016, 08:32 AM
Hi,

I am currently going through a really stressful time. I have gad and health anxiety and moved to a new house and started a new job 6 months ago. I am starting prozac this weekend due to the anxieties I have been having at and about work.

I am having a few symptoms that I keep forgetting to bring up to my Dr and I wanted reassurance that it is my anxiety and that it will pass.

1. When I start worrying about something I immeidately think my life is terrible and I am never going to get better. It is like an underlying feeling I am worried that this will eventually lead to suicidial thoughts and that adds more fear.

2. I feel weird when I over hear other ppl talking about their lives. For example today I over heard a person at work in the other room talking about how he quit college and made me feel weird like I was wondering how he could live with that decision, how much stronger I was mentally in my college days, how I couldn't handle college in my current state,etc.

I will do the same thing with characters in movies and tv shows when i am anxious. I will project myself onto them or their situations in a similar way. It makes it impossible to enjoy such activities.

Are these typical for someone struggling with gad?

Thanks

Teafrenzy
10-28-2016, 01:57 PM
100% common for anxiety.

I'd be more worried if you didn't do that :)

jones27
10-28-2016, 02:31 PM
100% common for anxiety.

I'd be more worried if you didn't do that :)

Haha thanks for reply!

I really hope those thoughts are the first things to go when I start feeling better. They are the most distressing to me. I just want to sit down and watch a movie with my girl friend and enjoy it!

Teafrenzy
10-28-2016, 02:42 PM
They say that the last set of symptoms are "disturbing thoughts"..they are a clear sign you are actually getting better.

Brandon15
10-29-2016, 08:06 AM
I have become so consumed with checking myself everyday. I am obsessed with lymph nodes. I feel them everyday, I even made the ones in my neck swell because I thought they were swollen when they were actually normal size and it caused my neck to swell too. I get benign tremors, I am always irritable, and I'm in fear for my life everyday. I've thought that I've had HIV/AIDS even when I was a virgin, and am now currently obsessed with Lymphoma/Leukemia/Sarcoma. I found a lump in my groin and I am so scared. I feel like it's because I have a lot of hair, wear breifs, & I sweat down there so I try to believe it could be a sabaceous cyst however my mind keeps telling me it's something chronic. I recently went to the Dr. and my lymph nodes were normal and he said I was fine, but now I'm scared to go have this examined because I know that's where my life will change forever. I avoid talking about cancer and in class if we talk about cancer I take it as a sign that I might have it or I just tune people out. I always think the worst in situation such as if I am out woth friends I'll say to myself "This is probably going to be the last time going out before I have to go to the Hospital." I was excited for Collge but now I am not because I think I won't make it because of the illnesses I think I have. This affects my everyday life and I'm only 17 years old. Please read this and take this into consideration and give me your honest opinions, thank you so much.

jones27
10-29-2016, 08:25 AM
I have become so consumed with checking myself everyday. I am obsessed with lymph nodes. I feel them everyday, I even made the ones in my neck swell because I thought they were swollen when they were actually normal size and it caused my neck to swell too. I get benign tremors, I am always irritable, and I'm in fear for my life everyday. I've thought that I've had HIV/AIDS even when I was a virgin, and am now currently obsessed with Lymphoma/Leukemia/Sarcoma. I found a lump in my groin and I am so scared. I feel like it's because I have a lot of hair, wear breifs, & I sweat down there so I try to believe it could be a sabaceous cyst however my mind keeps telling me it's something chronic. I recently went to the Dr. and my lymph nodes were normal and he said I was fine, but now I'm scared to go have this examined because I know that's where my life will change forever. I avoid talking about cancer and in class if we talk about cancer I take it as a sign that I might have it or I just tune people out. I always think the worst in situation such as if I am out woth friends I'll say to myself "This is probably going to be the last time going out before I have to go to the Hospital." I was excited for Collge but now I am not because I think I won't make it because of the illnesses I think I have. This affects my everyday life and I'm only 17 years old. Please read this and take this into consideration and give me your honest opinions, thank you so much.

Discuss this with your doctor. Your thoughts are all typical of health anxiety. I struggled with it throughout my life and kept it a secret. I was ashamed . but its nothing to be ashamed of.

I let mine go,for too long and it has ended up turning into generalized anxiety. I wish I had gotten help earlier.

CBT is all you may need at this point to get everything in order and stop the anxiety before it takes root.

Just be honest with your doctors and seek comfort in people with similar experience. Some people won't be supportive because they do not understand, but don't let their ignorance stand in the way of your health!

zach221318
10-31-2016, 10:35 AM
hey daniel, i am new here, just had a quick question So around 3 or 4 times a week, i get this weird warm sensation all over my chest, and into my head. It messes with my vision, and makes all the sounds around me so loud. My chest then begins to hurt really bad. Then my heart rate begins to climb into the 150's. The only thing that makes me feel a little better is if i personally squeeze my chest on the left side with my hand. Is this a panic attack? or something wrong with my heart? any feedback would be awesome

electra
11-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Hi

There is this guys i like and he wants to date me but today he put his arm around me and I got really anxious and has a panic attack. Later he asked why i pulled away and I tried to explain to him my anxiety but I don't think he understands.

I don't know what to do I haven't had a relationship with anyone because of my anxiety

em_my
11-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Hi..
First of all let me say that if I say anything offensive it is entirely unintentional and I'm sorry in advance.

That said: I think I might have anxiety which is why I'm here but I don't want to belittle people who have anxiety and have it worse than I do by talking about it because I'm not sure.. I should probably go to a doctor but I'm scared (and this might not be valid) that they will laugh at me because I thought I might have anxiety.

Thanks
Em

Anne1221
11-10-2016, 08:09 PM
No doctor will laugh at you. Just go if you want to. They are there to serve you and assist you.

Marie Lends
12-21-2016, 05:40 AM
How you feeling today?

Marie Lends
12-27-2016, 08:36 AM
Hello guys...

Marie Lends
01-08-2017, 02:38 AM
How to relieve anxiety? Tips please...

Kuma
01-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Hi Marie. What sort of anxiety do you have? What have you tried thus far?

Artistmom
01-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Hello! Do you have experience with children and school refusal? My 11 year daughter is having a relapse of school refusal and was dx'd with anxiety last Spring.
I just typed out my "novel" at the Welcome board.

kbh33
01-19-2017, 03:22 PM
thank you so much for this info and discussion

veeraj
01-21-2017, 05:48 AM
I am having Anxiety disorder post my divorce from last 8 months. What must be my problem. ???
Posted 24 minutes ago
Before marriage i felt some problems with me, but not able understand wats it all about.

Post divorse I found lot about myself.. And now i need all urs help.

Symptoms -

When i do masturbation and go to wash my hands and p***s, later i find if my wash is not happened correct, i mean all sperm from my body is washed properly or not. In case if i touch any object or things around me. I feel it has my sperms on it.

The next day if i touch it , i feel am again infected or my hands have those sperms still. My mind gets confuse. Slight imbalance in thoughts, later i try to wash my hands and all things that i feel have sperm touch on it. Also post divorce I had anxiety at its worst. M on medicine. . That have slowed it down. But i want to knw what problem i m facing as mentioned above from beginning? ? Plz help?

Rrleeder
02-22-2017, 12:51 PM

Ed

Just got out of the hospital for a week.. while i was in there they changed all my meds around.. im now on lexapro 15mgs, remron 15mgs, klonopin .5mgs 2x a day, trilafon 4mgs 2x a day, lithium 600mgs.. n I was fine in the hospital no anxiety.. after 12 hours being home i spiraled back down into anxiety hell.. dizzy, nausea, lightheaded, trembling, depressed, tired.. I can't live like this anymore it's going on 2 years now living like this.. I just wanna function n enjoy life again.. I don't know what else to do ive tried everything it feels like. I hear people get a medication n there anxiety goes away.. n here i am on a different cocktail every 6 months n my anxiety is still dibilating every day.. I need some hope.. please

Rrleeder
02-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Just got out of the hospital for a week.. while i was in there they changed all my meds around.. im now on lexapro 15mgs, remron 15mgs, klonopin .5mgs 2x a day, trilafon 4mgs 2x a day, lithium 600mgs.. n I was fine in the hospital no anxiety.. after 12 hours being home i spiraled back down into anxiety hell.. dizzy, nausea, lightheaded, trembling, depressed, tired.. I can't live like this anymore it's going on 2 years now living like this.. I just wanna function n enjoy life again.. I don't know what else to do ive tried everything it feels like. I hear people get a medication n there anxiety goes away.. n here i am on a different cocktail every 6 months n my anxiety is still dibilating every day.. I need some hope.. please

soulsista12
03-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Hello Daniel,

I was wondering if off/on facial and tongue numbness on one side is common with anxiety. It literally comes and goes! I have major health anxiety and have been dealing with this numbness. I am concerned it is something major like MS

maximadam
03-28-2017, 10:33 AM
What super power do you want?

PennysMom
04-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Hi Danielle,

Congrats on your residency completion. I have a question- I had a severe anxiety attack in February, and since then have been questioning my relationships, life, etc. I was happy when I got engaged, but 2 months later after the attack I was questioning my relationship- is it right? Am I making the right decision?

I'm struggling with the idea of this just being a feeling and not having my thoughts related to it... What do you think?

Thettles
03-29-2018, 05:33 AM
Hey people any tire revies sites sugestions ? i am getting readdy to chnge my tires and really need some tips! thanks a lot!

paradisesh8
05-14-2018, 02:52 PM
Been dealing with anxiety for a while now...Yesterday I started having warm rushes down both of my arms... today it was my left leg and then today both arms again! Has anyone ever had this?
I have been to doctor after doctor all mentioning anxiety...

Here2Help
05-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Hey, hows it going. I had all kind of sensations when i was suffering from anxiety/depression. How do you relate to your anxiety? How do you see it?

oakmont
07-14-2018, 01:58 PM
So you are saying anti-depressants are better than anti-anxiety drugs for anxiety? I was on Zoloft for thirteen years with no problems. Went off Zoloft due to heart palpitations and now on Buspar.....not sure this is working for anxiety. Can you please explain?

Nytro1050
07-14-2018, 02:01 PM
Could you explain amino acids and which kind are good for anxiety? Your opinion obv. Also what’s some supplements to be taken

janicelouise
07-16-2018, 05:50 PM
Hi there. I have extreme anxiety continuing 7 days now after stopping Keflex. 500 mg. 4 times a day for 7 days. When and how can this anxiety stop?? Please help

domainer
02-25-2020, 03:03 AM
Thank you so much for joining us and lending out your thoughts. Please stay active as I am sure many members here could use some help. Thank you again and I will post up some questions myself =)