PDA

View Full Version : Going Back to School Anxiety

pandorasbox
11-02-2014, 05:48 PM
I am 25 years old and will be starting my Master's in Jan. I have always been anxious but my social anxiety has gotten the best of me in the last 5 years. Although I can pinpoint the reasons for my anxiety, reducing it has been a challenge. I have had a meeting with the director of the program and I feel like I might have gotten on the wrong start with her (I was accepted by her but because of some circumstances, it had to be done on a short timeline. I'm not sure if I would have been accepted otherwise. Also, I feel I asked her too many questions - she hasn't replied to my last email written 4 months ago). She is also the professor for my classes in the first semester. Additionally, I feel that I will be the least qualified in my batch (no work experience in my field) and am already terrified of the first meeting where we will have to introduce ourselves. While I am aware that these are fairly silly reasons, I cannot shake the anxiety and am afraid that I will eventually pass on this great opportunity. Any advice for calming the nerves?

chrisdunn3
11-02-2014, 07:48 PM
You just have to try and go in there with a clear mind. You think about this professor a lot more than she thinks about you. Try to not over think this(easier said than done) and go in there with confidence. I was so anxious about my last job interview. I kept stressing that they would know I was nervous and I wouldn't get the job. I went in there with a clear mind and knew if I went in there super anxious, it would be worse for me than going in there with a clear mind.

pandorasbox
11-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Thanks for replying. I recently started CBT but I still seem to justify my unrealistic thoughts as truths mainly due to previous experiences. But you are right, it will be worse if I'm anxious during my classes. I will do my best to take deep breaths, relax, continue with CBT, and prepare myself as much as possible.

Ryker
11-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Unfortunately there's little else you can do. Sometimes to 'keep on buggering on' is all we can do.

I think that's the hardest part where you are now - the point where you've worked out what you need to do, you know what to do, but the task looks oh so huge. Everything that goes slightly wrong feels like it'll set you right back and undo the good work you've done.

Just take it slowly, appreciate that you have limited resources and all you need is a tiny extra step every day. They add up. Keep up the CBT, keep on practiceing mindfulness and keep seeing stupid thoughts for what they really are.

You'll be fine.