PDA

View Full Version : Hey Gang!

NewDad1985
11-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Starting a new phase of my life tomorrow morning in the form of a new job. I was excited and confident all weekend until this afternoon.

I know anxiety and jitters are all normal in this situation. I guess my post is to ask what y'all do about the physical symptoms in situations like this?

Headache, weakness, chest pain, neck pain, etc.

How do you convince yourself everything is fine and you're healthy?

RealisticTrain
11-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Hi there,

you must understand that your anxiety is only as bad as you make it out to be. Ironically enough, being afraid that you're going to have a panic attack is a sure way of getting one.
So instead of trying to ignore your anxiety, just try to live with it. Say to yourself, ok, im a bit anxious, its perfectly normal, and it will get better. All the symptoms that you listed are classic anxiety, and are usually not associated with some larger, unknown issue. let me know if i can help out in any other way.
source: i am a resident psychiatrist

Xerosnake90
11-02-2014, 05:50 PM
First off, see a doctor. Then pay attention to when your symptoms begin. You may notice symptoms happen in certain situations.

NewDad1985
11-02-2014, 06:03 PM
I should have added my history:

I've been dealing with anxiety/panic attacks along with bouts of depression for over a year now. I'm currently taking 10mg Lexapro daily and 1mg Ativan (as needed).

I have a good relationship with my doctor and see him often. I also see a counselor bimonthly. These are all good things and help me live a life alongside my anxiety, not without it.

But as any of us can say, there are still moments where I feel unsure. I feel like I'll fall asleep tonight and not wake up. Or that I'll die of some unknown cause and my family will be left without me (have I mentioned I have health anxiety?)

My point is, even though I've dealt with this many times before, I still have moments of insecurity. I was hoping for some of you to share what you do when you're in this situation?

chrisdunn3
11-02-2014, 07:43 PM
You just have to go in there with confidence. Pay close attention to the new things that you have to learn, and it should take your mind off of you having anxiety. I can do mainly anything new like jobs, talking to new people, etc. The only thing that I can't talk myself out of having anxiety is my physical symptoms. I get them everyday even when I'm just waking up. Chest tightness, short of breath. Shakiness. When I feel like that(which is daily) I go into complete panic mode and think I'm having a heart attack or dying.