PDA

View Full Version : College student who needs help

Dylan1994
11-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Never in my life have I felt as bad as I have these past 2 months. I am a college student who used to commute to college but now dorms at a public university. I have zero sex drive, feel hopeless at times and need help feeling better. I literally feel like my emotions mostly happy ones have gone away, Example: i have trouble feeling love for my parents(but in reality i know i love them to death but its hard to feel!!) As of lately I haven't been able to sleep good, I was recently prescribed lorazepam (benzos) they helped me sleep but I don't want to become dependent on them. This past weekend I have consumed a lot of alcohol and looking back it was all pointless. I have hardly any fun at parties any more, I feel like the whole time im just stuck in my own head. So after this long weekend of drinking I feel terrible, as I lay in my bed trying to sleep at times I swear i physically just get this bad uncomfortable feeling in my head. at times i get these thoughts of suicide and unwanted images, i don't plan out killing myself but they just popped into my head. i just need them to go away. I NEED to start living in the moment and get out of these weird thought loops, is there anything i can do?? Please help anyone please

gypsylee
11-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Never in my life have I felt as bad as I have these past 2 months. I am a college student who used to commute to college but now dorms at a public university. I have zero sex drive, feel hopeless at times and need help feeling better. I literally feel like my emotions mostly happy ones have gone away, Example: i have trouble feeling love for my parents(but in reality i know i love them to death but its hard to feel!!) As of lately I haven't been able to sleep good, I was recently prescribed lorazepam (benzos) they helped me sleep but I don't want to become dependent on them. This past weekend I have consumed a lot of alcohol and looking back it was all pointless. I have hardly any fun at parties any more, I feel like the whole time im just stuck in my own head. So after this long weekend of drinking I feel terrible, as I lay in my bed trying to sleep at times I swear i physically just get this bad uncomfortable feeling in my head. at times i get these thoughts of suicide and unwanted images, i don't plan out killing myself but they just popped into my head. i just need them to go away. I NEED to start living in the moment and get out of these weird thought loops, is there anything i can do?? Please help anyone please

Hi Dylan,

Well trust me, alcohol is one of the worst things ever for anxiety and depression. It only took me 20 years to work that out lol. As a college student it's probably hard to avoid I guess.

Benzos are similar. That took me a long time to work out as well.

There are things you can do about this for sure but not overnight. I'm too tired to go into it now because it's 3:30am here haha (I'm in Australia). Hopefully others will give you some suggestions though.

I think posting on here (or elsewhere) is a good start. The whole "weird thought loops" can't survive too well if you talk about them with others. I find even just reading other people's experiences helpful.

Hang in there! :)
Gypsy

RealisticTrain
11-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Alcohol is a short term solution to a long term problem. It is a band aid. Same can be said for benzos. Prolonged use of these substances could result in dependency or addiction, and may even exacerbate your anxiety in the long run. Hang in there
Source: I am a psych resident

lukeypoo1412
11-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Dylan- It sounds like you are combatting both anxiety/depression here. I think talking these feelings out with someone, whether a counselor, friend, or forum, will really help you get out of the mind loop. Also, I do agree, alcohol doesn't help anxiety, it is only a short term relief, and you feel worse afterwards. I would suggest either stopping altogether or reducing your intake, whatever you are more comfortable with. Maybe some of this is a result of moving into the dorms, and now you feel disconnected with your family? Hope you have a better day soon.

Luke