PDA

View Full Version : beta blockers for anxiety

rusticnrg
10-19-2014, 08:05 AM
I was prescribed a low dose beta blocker to take as needed for panic. Has any one had success with this? I am nervous to take it as I am with all meds.

Enduronman
10-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Yes, I have beta blockers and they are helpful in dealing with panic disorder. Don't be afraid friend!

Have a good day.

E-Man :)

anxiousbloke
10-19-2014, 11:30 AM
I have been given both propranolol and atenolol but only took each one twice as they have a long list of side effects which are nasty...funny enough it only fed my anxiety and am scared to take them now
:(

Kuma
10-19-2014, 04:07 PM
I took atenolol at one point, along with a very low dose of Lexapro. I don't know whether the atenolol did any good. But it did not seem to do any harm.

[I am not a medical professional, and nothing I write constitutes medical advice]

anxiousbloke
10-19-2014, 04:18 PM
I guess it was because I have health anxiaty issues to do with my heart and I know beta blockers can mess with your heart rate and blood pressure and that's not even mentioning that many of the side effects are heart related. I mean c'mon, giving someone with heart anxiety issues a med that says may cause sudden death or heart attack!
Needless to say it made me even more anxious and convinced myself my bp and hr were dropping!

sazco
10-19-2014, 07:58 PM
It helps me physical symptoms, benzos will help my mental symptoms. They help though.

anxiousbloke
10-20-2014, 12:49 AM
Kind of reluctant to ask about benzos, I heard they are a nightmare to come off and I also heard they slow you down so i don't know if I could use them because of work

Enduronman
10-20-2014, 06:08 AM
I have been given both propranolol and atenolol. :(

I have had them both.
I now just take 1/4 to 1/2 of propranolol to help slow my heart rate down, before I hurt someone. LOL!
It won't cause death friend, and I have had no side effects from it to speak of either.
Wishing you well bruh.

Enduronman. :)

rusticnrg
10-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys. I was given 10mg (lowest dose you can get). Had a good couple of days and haven't needed to take it yet but I am not as scared now.

Charles Price
10-21-2014, 04:47 PM
Started taking my Beta blockers during the evening when I'm most anxious they seem to be working a dream! Out of curiosity If I continue to to take them will my anxiety eventually stop as I haven't experience any panic for some time? Don't worry I also suffer with heart anxiety these are also prescribed for people recovering from a heart attack it keeps your blood pressure low and just slows you heart rate down.