PDA

View Full Version : Help dealing with intrusive thoughts?

nanabean
10-18-2014, 09:40 PM
I've always had social anxiety/anxiety/ocd and it's always been a problem, but about 5 months ago I began to
have intrusive thoughts. My little cousin came over one day and said that our house was scary and that my mom
was going to die in our house. I of course know this was coming from a child but I couldn't help but think that something
might happen to her at some point. Over the next few weeks i started thinking about it every day, dreading the thought
of something happening to my mom. Luckily we were in the middle of moving when this occurred so I've been able to calm
down now that were in a new house, but the intrusive thoughts haven't stopped since then. I just feel like a horrible disgusting
person for thinking these things. I love my family and I would never want to do anything to hurt them in any way. I just don't
know what to do to stop these thoughts. I have never experienced anything like this and I was wondering if anyone knows what
i can do to deal with all this

JulianS
10-19-2014, 05:50 AM
That has happened to me over the last years, and it bugged the Hell out of me...because once the thoughts start and you try to stop them, they NEVER seem to go away...

but all is not lost....

Now I'm going to be honest with you, I haven't completely cured myself of this condition yet (although I'm working at it) but I have improved a lot over the last few years, due to understanding what is happening.

First things first, stop, 'stopping' them. Being serious here, repressing thoughts is not only counter-productive, it's also not how your brain works. By trying to stop the thoughts, not only are you going to go crazy, you'll also create an, 'emotional anchor' basically meaning that you will essentially subconsciously, 'train' yourself to have more of these thoughts.

So, what's the trick then?

Simply let them come into your mind, and let them go out...which means literally ignoring them. Sounds simple in practice, but I can assure you that in my experience (and trust me, I've not fully recovered yet...being really honest here;-) it initially feels really tough. You kinda feel a bit vulnerable in doing this.

Of course, don't make the mistake I routinely make, and go to bed late, otherwise your negative energy will be at an all time high (essentially you'll feel super tired, while trying to stop bad thoughts...not a great combo, trust me:-)

Get you sleep, don't stop the thoughts (i.e. don't add any emotional attachment to them) and simply let them go (or do your best to try to do so). By adding emotion to the thoughts, they stick around longer (and that's by design, by the way)

Try mindfulness meditation if that helps

Hope you get better

nanabean
10-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences! I've read about just letting the thoughts come and go. However when I start ignoring them or not giving them
as much attention I start to feel guilty for some reason. I start to feel as though only a crazy person would think these things and then forget about them.
I don't know I guess I just start to over think everything I do. I'll definitely try getting on a better sleep schedule. I've noticed my anxiety is the worst at
night and It doesn't help that I go to sleep way too late. :/

I know you said that you're not completely cured, but did it ever get better for you?
Can you go a few days or weeks without having these thoughts?

JulianS
10-22-2014, 05:25 AM
It's on and off to be honest. When my sleep has been decent/pretty good (basically 4 sleep cycles or more) my thoughts aren't bad...but once the fatigue kicks in, and my Amygdala starts running rampant, I have to try to ignore them. I find lobbing love, or being present the best ways.

I love what Eckhart Tolle says, when he talks about not taking your thoughts seriously. Very tricky to implement though, especially if you have a rough night sleep.

If it happens, try practicing being present/mindful and see if that helps...should do;-)