PDA

View Full Version : Do I have anxiety?

Xploit85
10-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm 29 years old, male.

Over a month ago, when I was going to bed, I noticed a tingling sensation in my left arm. I immediately started to panic, thinking it was heart attack (everyone always hears, if you tingle in the left arm, its a heart attack) I ended up not going to the ER or calling 911, I wasn't able to sleep at all that night, though. The next day, I ended up going to the ER, going through all kinds of tests and finding out that I wasn't having a heart attack. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure (put on 25mg metoprolol tartrate twice a day) and I started taking the medicine. That week, I kept feeling chest pains, tingling, neck pain, jaw pain. I went to the ER I think 3 times that week, all EKG's and blood work tested out fine. CT scans, etc. On the 3rd ER visit, the doctor wanted me to stay over night in the hospital, to get fully examined. The next day I had more blood work, stress eco, and everything once again checked out fine. Cardiologist who reviewed my stress eco said my heart was healthy.

2 weeks passed along, I was feeling better, going to the gym and losing weight (I was very out of shape when this started, still not in the best shape, but getting better) and my wife decided she wanted to divorce me and have an affair. This took a huge toll on me at first, but I wasn't necessarily having anxiety at first. In the last week, my symptoms have been very bad. Chest pain, back pain, jaw pain, and arm tingling, shortness of breathe all the time. It's like it lives with me and never leaves. When I work out, I feel great for awhile, then it creeps back.

This week I went to the doctor about all this, he put me on 25mg of sertraline and been taking it for four days now. I've been so fatigued, haven't worked out, and just laying around the house with no motivation. I'm sure this will pass, but it's very hard to cope. I also should note, I have no trouble sleeping and most of the time I sleep through the whole night. When I check my blood pressure and sometimes its high, I feel this rush come down over me and I start to panic and question if I'm having a heart attack, literally all the time. Sometimes my mind can only focus on negative things such as heart attack.

It's hard for me to accept that stress/anxiety can cause my body to have arm tingling, back pain, etc for long periods of the time everyday. A lot of time during the time, it's hard to take a full deep breathe, because of something. When I'm not thinking much, I can breathe fine, but I end up focusing on it and I struggle.

I'll keep my story a bit short, but I'd like to know if you guys think I have anxiety? I'm so scared its heart related, even though countless doctors have told me its not, but its so hard to accept when you have chest pain.

Thanks!

Edit for a side question:
I was prescribed Hydroxyzine for small anxiety attacks, has anyone tried this? I haven't taken one yet.

Xerosnake90
10-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Let's understand exactly what anxiety is. A symptom of fear, thoughts that have turned from desire to doubt. Ultimately leading into fear of that thought or object. Your health being your fear.

You've had heart tests that give you a clean slate. All other tests came back negative and you seem to be doing great aside from high blood pressure.

Ontop of that you worry about having a heart attack. And you worry about all other symptoms. Sure enough you feel great at the gym, I bet just being occupied makes all that go away only to come back.

Your nervous system is constantly worried and on edge from fear of a health issue that is non existent. Thus the muscle tightness, pains, tingling.

You my friend are an example of an anxiety sufferer. The good news is that it's fixable. The bad news is that pills aren't the answer. Research your condition, read on how to overcome it. Understand anxiety is thought driven and fixed by reversing that which created it. You can do it, you wouldn't be here otherwise. Take care and ask any questions you need answered.

Xploit85
10-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Let's understand exactly what anxiety is. A symptom of fear, thoughts that have turned from desire to doubt. Ultimately leading into fear of that thought or object. Your health being your fear.

You've had heart tests that give you a clean slate. All other tests came back negative and you seem to be doing great aside from high blood pressure.

Ontop of that you worry about having a heart attack. And you worry about all other symptoms. Sure enough you feel great at the gym, I bet just being occupied makes all that go away only to come back.

Your nervous system is constantly worried and on edge from fear of a health issue that is non existent. Thus the muscle tightness, pains, tingling.

You my friend are an example of an anxiety sufferer. The good news is that it's fixable. The bad news is that pills aren't the answer. Research your condition, read on how to overcome it. Understand anxiety is thought driven and fixed by reversing that which created it. You can do it, you wouldn't be here otherwise. Take care and ask any questions you need answered.

Thanks for the information.

Does anyone else seem to have more chest pain and back pain when they are doing more physical activity? Like, laundry, dishes, etc. I'm not referring to exercise.

My tongue is also going numb sometimes, and it makes my speech sometimes a bit weird. I'm either anxiety, or a bad reaction to my medicine.

1Bluerose68
10-19-2014, 04:07 PM
I know that some anti anxiety meds numb the tongue. Also tooth ace meds do this as well.