PDA

View Full Version : Two questions really...

JulianS
10-18-2014, 07:04 AM
Hiya,

wanted to know what you guys think about a good nights sleep in reducing anxiety and panic attacks in the long run? Do many of you still have panic even after having a great night sleep (I know it can affect sleep, just wanted to hear from people who managed to get a good night sleep against all odds, did you find your Panic Attacks reduce?)...just want to hear your thoughts;-)

Secondly, I'm just curious to ask what the number 1 issue you have about Panic Attacks generally (could be anything like the type of medication on offer, to the advice available). I'm thinking about running a survey, just wanted some initial feedback.

Thanks in advance

Kuma
10-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Hi Julian. I don't think I really have "panic attacks" -- but I do get a very high level of anxiety, sometimes. I also have difficulty getting a good night's sleep. That is in part a function of anxiety and in part nocturia. For me, there is a nexus between sleep and anxiety. When I have lower levels of anxiety, I sleep better, and the good night's sleep helps, in turn, to keep my anxiety level low. When my anxiety is in high gear, I often have more difficulty sleeping, and that increases my anxiety level -- a sort of vicious cycle. Sometimes, I can break the cycle by taking a sleeping pill, and getting a good night's sleep. A good night's sleep does not, for me, eliminate the anxiety, but it does often make it less acute. And I really like sleep when I am suffering from the most acute anxiety, but it is the only relief I get. When I am sleeping, I am not anxious. So I want to be sleeping!

JulianS
10-19-2014, 05:53 AM
Hi Julian. I don't think I really have "panic attacks" -- but I do get a very high level of anxiety, sometimes. I also have difficulty getting a good night's sleep. That is in part a function of anxiety and in part nocturia. For me, there is a nexus between sleep and anxiety. When I have lower levels of anxiety, I sleep better, and the good night's sleep helps, in turn, to keep my anxiety level low. When my anxiety is in high gear, I often have more difficulty sleeping, and that increases my anxiety level -- a sort of vicious cycle. Sometimes, I can break the cycle by taking a sleeping pill, and getting a good night's sleep. A good night's sleep does not, for me, eliminate the anxiety, but it does often make it less acute. And I really like sleep when I am suffering from the most acute anxiety, but it is the only relief I get. When I am sleeping, I am not anxious. So I want to be sleeping!

Thanks so much for helping me. Have you tried trying to pin point the reason you feel anxiety (i.e. does a particular image that crops up trigger it?) or is it a general daily anxiety that takes place? (if you don't mind me asking)

Kuma
10-19-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't mind you asking at all. But the answer is a little bit complicated. The short answer is yes, I have spent a lot of time trying to assess why I feel anxiety. (Indeed, I think I have probably spent too much time on the "why" part, instead of just accepting that I feel anxiety and trying to find strategies to minimize the impact of the anxiety).

There are different views, among experts, about what I just said. Some would say one needs, through psychotherapy and self-exploration, to fully understand the "why" part -- to get at the root causes -- before one can overcome the anxiety. Others, such as those who advocate CBT, would say that, whatever the root causes, you can be taught strategies to eliminate (or reduce) habitual ways of thinking that are counterproductive and anxiety producing. This is a gross oversimplification of a complex issue, but you probably get the idea. And in any event, if you are really interested in learning more about this issue, you probably want to read about it from experts, rather than from some random guy on the internet (me).

Speaking personally, my anxiety tends to relate to two types of issues, for the most part. The first is a fear of a particular illness, which for genetic and other reasons I am at high risk for. I focus too much on that and worry too much about it. The second is I often face a situation where I do or say something (or fail to do or say something) and then subsequently I regret it and feel intense anxiety about the potential consequences. I guess I hold myself to a pretty high standard, and when I fail to meet that standard -- for example when I exercise suboptimal judgment in some particular setting -- I can get very focused on "what I did wrong" and can castigate myself and become concerned about the potential repercussions.

Holding myself to a high standard has had some benefits for me. For example, I think it has contributed to professional success. But it also comes, as you can imagine, at a high cost.

Im-Suffering
10-19-2014, 12:47 PM
I don't mind you asking at all. But the answer is a little bit complicated. The short answer is yes, I have spent a lot of time trying to assess why I feel anxiety. (Indeed, I think I have probably spent too much time on the "why" part, instead of just accepting that I feel anxiety and trying to find strategies to minimize the impact of the anxiety).

There are different views, among experts, about what I just said. Some would say one needs, through psychotherapy and self-exploration, to fully understand the "why" part -- to get at the root causes -- before one can overcome the anxiety. Others, such as those who advocate CBT, would say that, whatever the root causes, you can be taught strategies to eliminate (or reduce) habitual ways of thinking that are counterproductive and anxiety producing. This is a gross oversimplification of a complex issue, but you probably get the idea. And in any event, if you are really interested in learning more about this issue, you probably want to read about it from experts, rather than from some random guy on the internet (me).

Speaking personally, my anxiety tends to relate to two types of issues, for the most part. The first is a fear of a particular illness, which for genetic and other reasons I am at high risk for. I focus too much on that and worry too much about it. The second is I often face a situation where I do or say something (or fail to do or say something) and then subsequently I regret it and feel intense anxiety about the potential consequences. I guess I hold myself to a pretty high standard, and when I fail to meet that standard -- for example when I exercise suboptimal judgment in some particular setting -- I can get very focused on "what I did wrong" and can castigate myself and become concerned about the potential repercussions.

Holding myself to a high standard has had some benefits for me. For example, I think it has contributed to professional success. But it also comes, as you can imagine, at a high cost.

If the tests are for cancer:

Many cancer patients have martyrlike characteristics, often putting up with undesirable situations or conditions for years.

They feel powerless, unable to change, yet unwilling to say in the same position. The most important point is to arouse such a person’s belief in his or her strength and power. In many instances these people shrug their shoulders, saying “What will happen, will happen,” but they do not physically struggle against their situation.

It is also vital that these patients are not overly medicated, for oftentimes the side effects of some cancer-eradicating drugs are dangerous in themselves. There has been some success with people who imagine that the cancer is instead some hated enemy or monster or foe, which is then banished with mental mock battles over a period of time. While the technique does have its advantages, it also pits one portion of the self against the other. It is much better to imagine say, the cancer cells being neutralised by some imaginary wand.

Doctors might suggest that a patient relax and then ask himself or herself what kind of inner fantasy would best serve the healing process. Instant images may come to mind at once, but if success is not achieved immediately, have the patient try again, for in almost all cases some inner picture will be perceived.

Behind the entire problem, however, is the fear of using one’s full power or energy. Cancer patients most usually feel an inner impatience as they sense their own need for future expansion and development, only to feel it thwarted.

Again, we cannot generalise overmuch, but many persons know quite well that they are not sure whether they want to live or die. The overabundance of cancer cells represents nevertheless the need for expression and expansion – the only arena left open – or so it would seem.

Such a person must also contend with society’s unfortunate ideas about the disease in general, so that many cancer patients end up isolated or alone. As in almost all cases of disease however, if it were possible to have a kind of ‘thought transplant’ operation, the disease would quickly vanish.

Consciously you might want to express certain abilities, whilst unconsciously you are afraid of doing so.

And in relation to genetics:

Beliefs do indeed bring about physical alterations. They can even – and often do – change genetic messages.

There are diseases that people believe are inherited, carried from one generation to another by a faulty genetic communication. Obviously, many people with, for example, a genetic heritage of arthritis, do not come down with the disease themselves, while others indeed are so afflicted. The difference is one of belief.

The people who have accepted the suggestion uncritically that they will inherit such a malady do then seem to inherit it: they experience the symptoms. Actually the belief itself may have turned a healthy genetic message into an unhealthy one.

nobot87
10-20-2014, 12:22 PM
I have pretty much get a good nights rest every night, yet my anxiety disorder is horrendous. Yet if I dont get enough sleep, it's even worse. The number one issue with panic attacks I have is that they keep getting worse and worse.

Exactice
10-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Julian, Interesting questions my $0.02

1) Sleep to me doesnt matter about my anxiety/panic. Before lack of sleep would cause more panic attacks, but it was because I thought I had to have the 8 hours of sleep. Now I am happy just having 4 hours or even 2 hours. To me if I can just get rest in, it doesnt matter!

2) The number 1 for me is the loss of control. I fear that if a panic attack hits I will lose all control and do something crazy. Other than that, I have really gotten great control over the attack!

JulianS
10-22-2014, 05:28 AM
I have pretty much get a good nights rest every night, yet my anxiety disorder is horrendous. Yet if I dont get enough sleep, it's even worse. The number one issue with panic attacks I have is that they keep getting worse and worse.

Thanks so much for your answer. Have you tried PSTEC (you can find a free audio online) to see if that helps?

JulianS
10-22-2014, 05:34 AM
Julian, Interesting questions my $0.02

1) Sleep to me doesnt matter about my anxiety/panic. Before lack of sleep would cause more panic attacks, but it was because I thought I had to have the 8 hours of sleep. Now I am happy just having 4 hours or even 2 hours. To me if I can just get rest in, it doesnt matter!

2) The number 1 for me is the loss of control. I fear that if a panic attack hits I will lose all control and do something crazy. Other than that, I have really gotten great control over the attack!

Thanks so much for answering.

1) I am really sorry that you a suffering with sleep deprivation, and having just recently done an article on sleep and stress (earlier on this year...) I am really sorry to hear that you get just 2 hours of sleep (and I used to suffer from sleep anxiety real bad, but I managed to get at least a minimum of 5 hours, or 3 sleep cycles...and I felt rough the next day, which of course increases the anxiety and makes the viscous cycle continue). As mentioned in my above post, have you tried PSTEC (or even EFT) as you really do need to get your quality sleep. Have you tried being mindful/present when you go to bed, etc...

2) Really hear you on that one. I've had panic attacks in the car, and of course because you think you're losing control of a moving vehicle, that only adds to the tension.

Thanks again for your feedback;-)