PDA

View Full Version : Ebola

Joe.
10-07-2014, 04:08 PM
So this 'culture of fear', media driven hype, sort of speak, has got into my head.
Even though I'm in the UK.
Just can picture it spreading into a international crisis, like the plague. I know this is irrational, but it keeps popping into my head and making my anxiety worse.
Had my first panic attack since July yesterday, was of a different nature really, faster heartbeat, more derealisation, less visual problems. Can't help but think this panic attack is ebola worry related.
Seen stuff on facebook escalating my worry, even posts which seem designed to scare.
Thankfully I haven't found out the symptoms of ebola yet, and I don't want to! hahaha

Any advice? I don't want to let this embed itself like cancer worry did last year!
Anything to put it into perspective?

Exactice
10-07-2014, 04:17 PM
I fricken hate the news...... It causes its own damn Pandemic LOL...... Its hard to ignore daily crazy news, but at this point I stop taking it so seriously and treated it like a Tabloid. I know this is not much help but this is the way I found to cope with these types of situations. I think of them as a Joke. I try to not to over think it and I look at it this way. If it comes here were will be all walking Zombies, or I will be some superstar hero that can fight all the zombies....either way cant be bad right LOL

seriously though, its a tough one with all news.... so you have to kind of laugh it off and move on to the next!

Joe.
10-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Thanks.
Laughing it off must help, as it's laughing, being happy etc.
Just my overall mental state as shot up past few days. Been on edge really. When I see a post on facebook for example, I shouldn't take it seriously, or actually even look at it! You could compare this to swine flu, from a few years back, mass panic (well not panic as such ;) ), but It died down.

Any sort of perspective on this?
I fricken hate the news...... It causes its own damn Pandemic LOL...... Its hard to ignore daily crazy news, but at this point I stop taking it so seriously and treated it like a Tabloid. I know this is not much help but this is the way I found to cope with these types of situations. I think of them as a Joke. I try to not to over think it and I look at it this way. If it comes here were will be all walking Zombies, or I will be some superstar hero that can fight all the zombies....either way cant be bad right LOL

seriously though, its a tough one with all news.... so you have to kind of laugh it off and move on to the next!

Im-Suffering
10-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Thanks.
Laughing it off must help, as it's laughing, being happy etc.
Just my overall mental state as shot up past few days. Been on edge really. When I see a post on facebook for example, I shouldn't take it seriously, or actually even look at it! You could compare this to swine flu, from a few years back, mass panic (well not panic as such ;) ), but It died down.

Any sort of perspective on this?

You are a sensative person, Joe. Not only romanticized, but in a way that you feel for the planet, and humanity, all of it. You would be just as set back by global warming as you would Ebola or even a lost kitten in a tree. When you see the news or Facebook, the true feeling speaks "look what we do to each other, I wish it were differently" and this stems from a deep love for the race and its global problems. But it's a form of repression because you feel overwhelmed, what can you do?

Separate the thoughts, "what if I catch Ebola" and "what if a million people die", there is more sorrow in the second because empathy takes hold, you are a natural healer, empath. With heightened feelings. Don't feel guilty if you should think "see, your doing this to yourselves". Something similar was displayed by a sector in the early time of AIDS. When they felt guilty...AIDS to them was a form of psychological self harm. Feeling outcast you see.

The human race can be harsh, and if you dig down and dirty firsthand into Facebook you will be right there in the mud, on the front lines.

But the goal is to see the beauty, for there is so much more beauty than beast, and you by your sensative thoughts and caring nature help preserve that balance.

So realize it's not a personal fear per se, but an assault on very sensative senses. So to speak. You do care more about them, then you. Lately and at certain points you will be overwhelmed, just realize what is happening and let it sort itself out. Take some time for you, do something you enjoy until you feel better, the world will still be there when you return.

Joe.
10-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks I'm suffering, not sure about the comparative about global warming and the cat though

You are right I am sensitive.
You say it's not a personal fear, however I do fear for myself, for how I would feel if it would say 'kill a million people', and how I would feel while dying.
And while the fear is explicit and separated, as well as being sensitive, the anxiety and edginess remain. Like some beliefs of mine in 'august' have degressed; mind set changed.

On a seperate note, I do have a therapy appointment soon! Been waiting for one since I told you about it.
You are a sensative person, Joe. Not only romanticized, but in a way that you feel for the planet, and humanity, all of it. You would be just as set back by global warming as you would Ebola or even a lost kitten in a tree. When you see the news or Facebook, the true feeling speaks "look what we do to each other, I wish it were differently" and this stems from a deep love for the race and its global problems. But it's a form of repression because you feel overwhelmed, what can you do?

Separate the thoughts, "what if I catch Ebola" and "what if a million people die", there is more sorrow in the second because empathy takes hold, you are a natural healer, empath. With heightened feelings. Don't feel guilty if you should think "see, your doing this to yourselves". Something similar was displayed by a sector in the early time of AIDS. When they felt guilty...AIDS to them was a form of psychological self harm. Feeling outcast you see.

The human race can be harsh, and if you dig down and dirty firsthand into Facebook you will be right there in the mud, on the front lines.

But the goal is to see the beauty, for there is so much more beauty than beast, and you by your sensative thoughts and caring nature help preserve that balance.

So realize it's not a personal fear per se, but an assault on very sensative senses. So to speak. You do care more about them, then you.

leather_couch
10-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Any advice? I don't want to let this embed itself like cancer worry did last year!
Anything to put it into perspective?

Obviously the Ebola outbreak is very serious and sad situation for those afflicted with it and the men and women who care for them. There is really something to be said about how lucky we are to live in countries whose medical institutions are better equipped to isolate various outbreaks.

In your case, it's normal to have concerns about this pandemic. What I would encourage you to do is take heed of the fact that you have had other medical fears and ask yourself, "is this really any different? "

I suspect the answer is no. Althogh it's a different fixation, the obsession is based around your health and well being in a similar way. Perhaps you can get some comfort in that. In the meantime, yet to keep yourself relaxed as possible. There is indeed something to be said for the power of laughter. It is healthy and helpful. Anything that may help you to relabel and refocus the thoughts properly as OCD in a productive way should be very helpful. Good luck!

Madirain
10-07-2014, 11:08 PM
I felt like I was finally getting my anxiety under control until all the news lately in Ebola
And the Entrovirus :(. These things are scary to a person without anxiety and even worse to those of us that do suffer anxiety especially health anxiety (hypochondriacs)

jessed03
10-07-2014, 11:37 PM
I'm dreading Ebola. It's meant to be about 18 days or so until it gets here, right? Bird flu was meant to wipe out the world, but that fell a little flat. Hopefully this one's the same. It's not even the fatality side of it that bugs me so much, but the pain of it. Being quarantined in hospital in agony. Ugh.

Im going to live in Hawaii with Exactic, I think.

melissa90
10-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Ebola is a serious thing and it is something to be aware of, but also be aware the news like to predict the end of the world yearly with different pandemics. Just remember if in the unlikely circumstances it happens, we live in countries with modern technologies and medical treatments.
If you need me I shall wait out this pandemic in my igloo haha (Canada)

Enduronman
10-08-2014, 04:39 AM
You are a sensative person, Joe... empathy takes hold. You are a natural healer, empath. With heightened feelings. But the goal is to see the beauty, for there is so much more beauty than beast, and you by your sensative thoughts and caring nature help preserve that balance. Lately and at certain points you will be overwhelmed, just realize what is happening and let it sort itself out. Take some time for you, do something you enjoy until you feel better, the world will still be there when you return.

I second that.
Being an empath has its advantages and disadvantages.
There can be beauty in it, and it can also be overwhelming as well.
Yes, take some time for yourself to swing the balance towards your own advantage.
You're not going to be an ebola victim, carrier, patient but you will feel somehow connected to those that are.
Learn how to separate oneself from that thought, fear, and belief. I feel for them too but all I can do is hope that they all recover.
Wishing you the best bruh!

E-Man :)

Enduronman
10-08-2014, 04:46 AM
I'm dreading Ebola but I think I'm going to live in Hawaii with Exactice and work on honing my surfing skills. I also need to spend abit more time here on the forums, as being helpful to others also helps me to sort out my own personal thoughts, fears, and mental issues in a more positive way and direction. :)

Hope to see you again soon!
Post some pics of you hanging ten bruh!
Have a great day J-Man.. :)

E-Man :rolleyes:

Joe.
10-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Thanks.

This threads really helped
I second that.
Being an empath has its advantages and disadvantages.
There can be beauty in it, and it can also be overwhelming as well.
Yes, take some time for yourself to swing the balance towards your own advantage.
You're not going to be an ebola victim, carrier, patient but you will feel somehow connected to those that are.
Learn how to separate oneself from that thought, fear, and belief. I feel for them too but all I can do is hope that they all recover.
Wishing you the best bruh!

E-Man :)

Ambition
10-09-2014, 07:17 AM
I have anxiety and to some extent agoraphobia but things like Ebola, HIV, Cancer etc do not worry me. My concern is fainting or passing out in public. That scares me far more than things like Ebola or Cancer.

Xerosnake90
10-09-2014, 10:17 PM
The worst case scenario thought is much more powerful than reality. We realize our strength by moving through phases. The fear of this is just another phase.

It's isolated, contained in America. One person had it, everyone who was at risk of exposure has been quarantined. It can't travel outside of direct exposure and the remains of the man will be cremated.

Bless the family, it's a tragedy. Carry on everyone. Living in fear accomplishes nothing

Joe.
10-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Thank You so much! As I was reading that I felt a physical relief, shivers of happiness I suppose.
Good explanation as well, one I believe therefore.
The worst case scenario thought is much more powerful than reality. We realize our strength by moving through phases. The fear of this is just another phase.

It's isolated, contained in America. One person had it, everyone who was at risk of exposure has been quarantined. It can't travel outside of direct exposure and the remains of the man will be cremated.

Bless the family, it's a tragedy. Carry on everyone. Living in fear accomplishes nothing