PDA

View Full Version : Vistaril & health anxiety

PathFinderGrl
10-07-2014, 09:56 AM
I'm 34/F. My doctor wrote me Vistaril a few months ago to help with my anxiety attacks, as I didn't want any scheduled narcotics. I have health anxiety, and developed "white coat syndrome" several years ago along with my high blood pressure. I have genetic high blood pressure. Whenever my BP is taken, I get anxious and my BP skyrockets! I have a dentist appt tomorrow. My dentist recently started taking his patients blood pressure. I'm not afraid of the dentist, but am scared my BP will go up when its' taken. When I first took the vistaril, I didn't like it (made me sleepy and a little anxious at first), but am giving it another chance. I see a cardiologist for high BP, and rapid heart rate. He says my heart is fine, just anxiety. I've start taking the vistaril at night & it seems to calm me some in the morning and in to early day. Anyone have success with vistaril w/ health anxiety or marked anxiety? Thanks...

Two One
10-07-2014, 10:23 AM
The first psychiatrist I consulted about my anxiety problems prescribed me 10 mg of Lexapro and 25 mg of hydroxyzine hcl to "take the edge off". My first day taking the Lexapro, I suffered probably the worse panic attack of my life and I took a hydroxyzine to see if that would help. The panic subsided but I was never sure if it was because of the hydroxyzine or the fact that I was able to muster up the strength to do the 4-7-8 breath which I am very skilled at. In my experience the hydroxyzine did not do much for me apart from make me a little drowsy. I built up a tolerance to it very quickly, however I continued taking it due to its antiemetic properties.

PathFinderGrl
10-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply... May I ask what is the 4-7-8 breathing technique? I've heard of breathing for anxiety, but haven't really used it.

Two One
10-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Hi, thanks for your reply... May I ask what is the 4-7-8 breathing technique? I've heard of breathing for anxiety, but haven't really used it.

No problem, if the hydroxyzine works for you then that's great, keep using as it doesn't come with the dependence risk that benzodiazepines do. The 4-7-8 breath is a yoga breathing technique that is used to stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system, thus relieving anxiety. The downside is it takes some time to master and you have to do it at least twice daily to notice the effects of it.

The technique:
- First exhale all the air out of you through the mouth
- Inhale deeply through your nose for a count of four seconds
- Hold for a count of seven seconds
- Exhale through the mouth with pursed lips and your tongue pressed up against the roof of your mouth for a count of eight seconds
- Repeat two more times
Important note: fill up your stomach with the air that you inhale, not your diaphragm.

It is the exhaling part that is the most difficult to master, and it can be tough to discipline yourself to do this in the middle of a panic attack but it works. It is a very powerful tool to have, good luck!

PathFinderGrl
10-10-2014, 08:50 AM
OK Thanks, I'll definitely try it. Where did you learn this technique??

Two One
10-10-2014, 11:08 AM
OK Thanks, I'll definitely try it. Where did you learn this technique??

One of my aunt's friends who takes yoga classes actually taught it to me. At the time I learned it I had no idea that deep breathing was such a great tool to cope with anxiety.