PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Treatments

Anxious Frank
06-30-2008, 07:18 AM
OK team, I searched for it and couldn't find one, so it's time for a list of anxiety treatments.

I'll get us started, but please send in what you've tried and tell us if it's helped or not.

CBT
Drugs
Relaxation

As we post in this topic I'll update the list as we go along. Feel free to leave opinions on the different treatment methods too!

squirt
07-16-2008, 10:59 AM
I would say all three have their place in treating anxiety disorders. CBT was what worked for me, but all the relaxation and breathing exercises were helpful too. Drugs are also helpful for many people, but far too often imo people want to solely rely on them and I think that is a bad decision. I think you need to learn coping skills to gain some control over your anxieties and that's why CBT and relaxation help more imo.

trackstar
09-19-2008, 05:01 PM
I was in a cbt group and it has been working wonders for me. I still am doing the TEA form exercise and feel like I am still making more progress.

helpmarcproject
11-03-2008, 12:39 PM
I can tell you that I have spent hundreds on the Lucinda Bassett program offered through the MidWest Center and want you to know that there is far greater resources for cheap or free. They all mention the same things in general, the bottom line is you must feel comfortable with your treatment plan. Might I suggest a cheap article, "5 Steps Lucinda Won't Tell You" offered through a website called Going Bananas: Don't Slip on the Anxiety. A google search should lead you to the article. Good luck.

trackstar
11-15-2008, 11:53 AM
I hate all the commercialized versions of CBT that over charge you and complicate the treatment process. I was in a CBT group and we used the book by Sam Obitz which is focussed on a few necessary CBT exercises and it is changing my life. After the group was over my counselor said that if people do not need the hand holding and prodding provided in groups they could simply buy the book we used or any good CBT book and find major relief in a matter of four to six months. Thx for the article I'm gonna check it out because several people in my group were previously fooled by the marketing glitz and promises from Lucinda Bassett's program as well as the Linden method. Don't waste your money people!!!

Beachgirl
02-07-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm with you trackstar. A lot of those commercialized versions try to force too much info on you and make it more confusing (and over charge you) rather than the old acronym KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). I'm living my life so much better thanks to my CBT group and my continued use of the TEA form exercise. CBT has taught me how to live my life without all the debillitating fears.

trackstar
03-24-2009, 01:55 PM
KISS is best :tongue:

fernandogress
05-28-2009, 03:31 AM
You have done an great job.Thanks...Anxiety disorders are responsive to counseling and to a wide variety of psychotherapies. During the past several decades, there has been an increasing enthusiasm for focused, time-limited therapies that address ways of coping with anxiety symptoms directly, rather than exploring unconscious conflict or other personal lnerabilities.

tmays
05-28-2009, 03:06 PM
I was in a cbt group and from the very first session they told us that getting better was up to us and that all they were doing was exposing us to the exercises that could help us and encouraging us to do them but the real work the doing of the exercises that would make us better was up to us. Now that its over I can say they were right. I learned to help myself and that gave me even more confidence going forward. I learned that when anxiety strikes me all I have to do is catch the thoughts that are causing my anxiety and then counter them in a tea form and get on with my life.

trackstar
06-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Great points Fernando and Tmays. People need to know there are alternatives to what the Pharm industry says.

tmays
06-25-2009, 10:58 AM
I am total agreement. I wasted a few years being my doctors guinea pig and felt like crap a majority of that time.

dtrotter
06-26-2009, 12:06 AM
There's
The Linden Method by Charles Linden
Panic Away by Joe Barry
Easy Calm by Joe Mercer

You can check the reviews on them by clicking on my signature link below!

Generally, all these have been used by all my friends and families. It proved to work and personally i used The linden method to get myself outta panic attack and GAD.

And, most of the time, it's better to help yourself than consulting an expensive therapist or psychologist.

tmays
06-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I always heard Linden was the same as Lucinda Bassett commercialized CBT that is overpriced?
Personally I would stick with books from guys like Obitz or Burns and they are cheap or free at libraries :D

Beachgirl
08-22-2009, 07:31 PM
I always heard Linden was the same as Lucinda Bassett commercialized CBT that is overpriced?
Personally I would stick with books from guys like Obitz or Burns and they are cheap or free at libraries :D

I would agree but anything is better than being forced meds.

mg1980
08-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Hi everyone,

I would say that aiming for natural therapy has worked best for many of my loved ones, in the link on my signature there is a review site of many of the markets leading products, such as the mentioned Linden Method, Easy Calm, Panic Away, but also one not to be ignored for me is Banish Away.

There all there anyway, hope you enjoy the read and I hope they can help

Warmest Regards
Mg

tmays
09-14-2009, 03:09 PM

True, but I hate how people try to capitalize on unsuspecting anxiety sufferers by commercializing other people's research when the same methods are available or next to nothing. But then again that is the free enterprise system :?

Midnight Sky
09-18-2009, 05:41 AM
attack your anxiety by Geert Verschaeve (it's a website, google it, i cant post links in here yet)

tmays
10-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Is that book cbt based anxiety treatment?

trackstar
10-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I am total agreement. I wasted a few years being my doctors guinea pig and felt like crap a majority of that time.

I think a lot of people here can relate to this; I know I can.

trackstar
10-12-2009, 02:24 PM

I agree with both of you guys :D

squirt
10-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Wow I don't have time to reply to everyone but I agree CBT is the best method. I still do the TEA forms from the CBT book by Sam Obitz all the time and they are great for turning your thinking around and relieving anxiety.

Beachgirl
10-27-2009, 03:44 PM

True, but I hate how people try to capitalize on unsuspecting anxiety sufferers by commercializing other people's research when the same methods are available or next to nothing. But then again that is the free enterprise system :?

Me too!

Beachgirl
10-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Wow I don't have time to reply to everyone but I agree CBT is the best method. I still do the TEA forms from the CBT book by Sam Obitz all the time and they are great for turning your thinking around and relieving anxiety.

Great advice. This is what has helped me learn to help myself :mrgreen:

Robbed
10-29-2009, 04:06 PM

It's also important to remember that, although it may feel like it, you are never truly forced to take meds. Doctors, psychiatrists, and therapists may all tell you that you MUST take meds or else. But you are under no obligation to take them. And they are certainly not required for recovery. Indeed, they can sometimes be more harmful than helpful.

squirt
11-19-2009, 03:31 PM

It's also important to remember that, although it may feel like it, you are never truly forced to take meds. Doctors, psychiatrists, and therapists may all tell you that you MUST take meds or else. But you are under no obligation to take them. And they are certainly not required for recovery. Indeed, they can sometimes be more harmful than helpful.

I think this is an important point missed by many. We always have the final say in whatever we decide to do regarding treatment. Don't ever give away your power or let a doctor, therapist, parent or spouse coerce you into doing anything that you do not think is in your best interest :notice:

squirt
11-19-2009, 03:31 PM

Great advice. This is what has helped me learn to help myself :mrgreen:

Thanks and good for you :mrgreen:

tmays
11-25-2009, 07:23 PM

I agree with both of you guys :D

Good see see so many on the same wavelength here. Cbt really works if you use the tools like the TEA forms etc.

Beachgirl
12-10-2009, 05:12 PM
FWIW I agree with all of you. I used to think doctors were Gods but had enough bad experiences to figure out how human many of them are. I now realize that I can help myself more than anyone else if I am willing to work at things.

trackstar
12-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Merry Christmas everyone :tongue:

12-16-2009, 01:58 AM
I agree and disagree with medication, if it helps you calm your anxiety or depression or anything to a level that is that is a lot easier to cope with im all for it,

but at the end of the day its not going to change your thought patterns of how you deal with things

So my point of view, yes meds are good if they work to take the edge off things in the start but arent a magic cure and wont get rid of anxiety ,

cbt or something similar is what is going to change the way we think and help us break the cycle of things

Robbed
01-01-2010, 05:22 PM
I agree and disagree with medication, if it helps you calm your anxiety or depression or anything to a level that is that is a lot easier to cope with im all for it,

I certainly don't think it would be a bad thing to take something that will calm your depression and anxiety to a level that would make it easier to cope with it. But only if such a medication was highly effective, had minimal to no side effects, and could be discontinued with ease. Unfortunately, such a medication does NOT exist. And THAT'S the problem that I have with medications. They are just too risky. FAR too many people get on meds like SSRIs, only to find them to be more damnation than salvation in terms of side effects. FAR too many people just don't get the kinds of results from them that they were promised. And FAR too many people find that discontinuing antidepressants is alot like discontinuing heroin. In other words, we have a LONG ways to go before medication will be anything that I would consider using or consider recommending to other people.

unnerved
01-13-2010, 10:27 AM
I have tried many different anxiety treatments, and spent far too much money. The best that I have found, and the cheapest, are the books and audio programs by Dr. Claire Weekes.

If you want to know more about the programs I have used, and my anxiety in general, check out my blog: nervousillness[dot]wordpress[dot]com

tmays
01-19-2010, 03:57 PM

but at the end of the day its not going to change your thought patterns of how you deal with things

So my point of view, yes meds are good if they work to take the edge off things in the start but arent a magic cure and wont get rid of anxiety ,

cbt or something similar is what is going to change the way we think and help us break the cycle of things

Really well put and solid advice! :D

Beachgirl
02-03-2010, 08:49 PM

I am in total agreement! My only problem with meds is that they are usually prescribed in the absence of treatment like CBT and even when CBT is prescribed with them human nature sets in when they feel better on the meds and they don't bother with the CBT because they already feel better. No easy answers unfortunately :roll:

Beachgirl
02-03-2010, 08:51 PM

I certainly don't think it would be a bad thing to take something that will calm your depression and anxiety to a level that would make it easier to cope with it. But only if such a medication was highly effective, had minimal to no side effects, and could be discontinued with ease. Unfortunately, such a medication does NOT exist. And THAT'S the problem that I have with medications. They are just too risky. FAR too many people get on meds like SSRIs, only to find them to be more damnation than salvation in terms of side effects. FAR too many people just don't get the kinds of results from them that they were promised. And FAR too many people find that discontinuing antidepressants is alot like discontinuing heroin. In other words, we have a LONG ways to go before medication will be anything that I would consider using or consider recommending to other people.

All valid points as usual Robbed :D

tmays
02-26-2010, 03:18 PM

I am in total agreement! My only problem with meds is that they are usually prescribed in the absence of treatment like CBT and even when CBT is prescribed with them human nature sets in when they feel better on the meds and they don't bother with the CBT because they already feel better. No easy answers unfortunately :roll:

Here, here. I agree about the lack of tools given with meds is a real problem!

squirt
03-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Here, here. I agree about the lack of tools given with meds is a real problem!

Sadly this is so true :(

Beachgirl
03-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Glad everyone agrees but what can we do to get them to solve this problem?

anxietyguy
03-29-2010, 08:12 AM
I'd like to add eft to the list

if you have general anxiety disorder and you can track down the core emotional wound behind it you can tap on it and diffuse the emotion

anxietyguy
03-29-2010, 08:14 AM
I think cbt can work quickly but if you hav ean emotional trauma or wound thats driving your anxiety i dont think it will help

tmays
04-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I think cbt can work quickly but if you hav ean emotional trauma or wound thats driving your anxiety i dont think it will help

I beg to differ based on my understanding of anxiety and it's causes. The trauma or wound is not what causes the anxiety but it does cause a change in your thinking and processing which leads to the anxiety. Once dealt with and countered in cbt the anxiety will likely diminish. Almost all our thoughts that cause anxiety come from some sort of emotionally traumatizing event. That's why cbt is so effective as it teaches you how to cope regardless of the initial cause and the new ways of thinking immunize you to future bouts of anxiety.

trackstar
05-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Well said Tmays that's my understanding and experience as well. I think there's a lot of misinformation out there about what CBT is that causes people to have misguided opinions on it. I think the pharm industry may even perpetuate some of the myths since CBT has caused them to lose a lot of former users of their meds.

squirt
06-13-2010, 11:22 AM

I beg to differ based on my understanding of anxiety and it's causes. The trauma or wound is not what causes the anxiety but it does cause a change in your thinking and processing which leads to the anxiety. Once dealt with and countered in cbt the anxiety will likely diminish. Almost all our thoughts that cause anxiety come from some sort of emotionally traumatizing event. That's why cbt is so effective as it teaches you how to cope regardless of the initial cause and the new ways of thinking immunize you to future bouts of anxiety.

Really well put Tmays. This is exactly right :mrgreen:

Anthony DiClementi
06-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Anyone tried "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" program?

Beachgirl
07-16-2010, 04:23 PM

I agree and you gave a great explanation :D

Beachgirl
07-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Anyone tried "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" program?

No what is it? Is it CBT based?

tmays
07-28-2010, 06:12 PM

I agree and you gave a great explanation :D

Thanks to all for backing me up :o It made no sense to me and glad to see others were confounded by it also.

Beachgirl
08-28-2010, 04:28 PM
You're welcome :)

trackstar
09-05-2010, 12:34 PM
No prob tmays. How arew you doing?

tmays
10-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Doing just fine thanks for asking.
How are you doing?
I hope everyone is doing outstanding!

Beachgirl
10-25-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm doing awesome thanks for asking :D

tmays
12-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Can't complain.. Well I could but what good would it do :tongue: Seriously things are great here. Have a Merry Christmas :biggrin:

Beachgirl
01-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Thx and happy new year to you and everyone else here :)

Beachgirl
03-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Tmays-
I hope you are over your probs with the site and come back soon.

BradleyWin
12-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.

VinnyFromGermany
12-18-2011, 09:37 AM
A joke is a very serious thing.

sunnier
04-28-2012, 09:21 AM
is there any way to get these TEA forms on the net for free? i have a CBT thought record sheet is that the same thing??

itsaworry
06-16-2012, 09:16 AM
this works for me and it's free itsaworrycom101

staggolee
02-07-2013, 03:00 PM
I've found a terrific resource at QuietMindSolutions.com. Their Stress Free and Anxiety Solution Series have been a tremendous help with my anxiety. I'd been in therapy for nearly 15 years without much luck. After only 4 weeks of using The Anxiety Solution Series, I feel better than I ever have. I'm finally starting to believe I really can beat my anxiety. In addition to their CDs they also offer some really good articles on anxiety and stress, and regularly post stress reductions tips on their Facebook page.

zeltkau21
04-05-2013, 01:48 AM
OK team, I searched for it and couldn't find one, so it's time for a list of anxiety treatments.

I'll get us started, but please send in what you've tried and tell us if it's helped or not.

CBT
Drugs
Relaxation

As we post in this topic I'll update the list as we go along. Feel free to leave opinions on the different treatment methods too!

One of the best books on the subject is "The Divided Mind" by John Sarno. The theory is that an anxiety disorder is essentially a psychoaffective disorder, with essentially the same origin as psychosomatic disorders. In other words, instead of getting back pain, you get GAD. It is treated thesame way. It has been effectiveforme, though gradual. It is likely that someone with an anxiety disorder is repressing anger, sadness and emotional pain.